What are you baking? April 2022

Not a cookie, but Stella Parks’ chocolate scones call for milk chocolate and I love them even as someone who isn’t into chocolate in things like scones.

3 Likes

I like these cookies so much that the first time I made them I gave most of them to the neighbors to stop myself from eating more than is a good idea.

I am a huge fan of ginger in all forms and uses, fresh, ground, pickled, candied, sweet and savory. If you also think ginger is delicious, you should bake these cookies.

The bitterness of dark chocolate would clash with the ginger. The mellowness of milk chocolate complements the ginger beautifully.

7 Likes

These sound really interesting. How prevalent is the molasses flavor? DH loves ginger, but dislikes too much molasses (some is OK, just not as a dominant flavor).

Your ginger and MC recipe has the same ratio of molasses to flour as a ginger snap recipe which I make for him, and which he loves. I might try this one, and not mention the molasses until after he’s tasted them.

Puccia— olive “cheeks” from Local Breads. I can’t get quality olives in this town (nor can I acquire uncured ones to try to do it myself), so canned or jarred ones in brine is all I can manage when I get a craving for olive breads, but they hit the spot.
I used my starter rather than the biga called for. My starter is slightly lower hydration than a biga, but I made no adjustments to flour or water because it’s such a small difference overall and I figured the olives being the kind in brine rather than oil-cured would add to the hydration.

12 Likes

I didn’t even remember that the recipe contained molasses, so I don’t think it’s prominent.

I always use the molasses that’s labeled mild.

1 Like

Whereas I love ginger paired with bittersweet chocolate, and do not find they clash at all to my taste.

3 Likes

I made these today and just ate one. Wow, they are delicious.

A couple of notes:

I didn’t need to flatten the cookies at all prior to baking them (the bottoms were flat from their overnight stay in the refrigerator) or after baking (they spread and flattened).

When I tried to roll the cookie dough balls in sesame seeds, the sesame seeds didn’t stick. I wet my hands and lightly moistened the cookie dough balls. It worked like a charm.

7 Likes

@ Shellybean

Those scones! The photo alone makes me want to keel over. I had to read all the reviews, just to make sure I wasn’t missing anything (I wasn’t). Have put these on my short list of “scones I must make”.

Thanks for the reference!

1 Like

Does anyone know if that recipe for chocolate scones is in Bravetart? I saved it to Paprika3, just in case. It looks really good.

It is in Bravetart, as a side note to the Buttermilk Biscuit recipe (ie. how to modify one to become the other). P. 85-86.

2 Likes

I am going to visit a friend in Halifax tomorrow ( only 2 years after the trip was planned…) and apparently the kids still love cookies, so I made 2 different types:

https://www.theboywhobakes.co.uk/recipes/2020/2/28/salted-black-cocoa-sables-with-caramelised-white-chocolate-chunks I bought the caramelized white chocolate. It is very, very similar to Dorie Greenspan’s World Peace cookies, but that’s not a bad thing.
And Tara O’brady’s CCCs: I used Lindt’s dark chocolate with caramel as the chocolate… and ate too much dough while I baked! https://www.taraobrady.com/recipes-in-full/2019/5/1/tara-obradys-basic-great-chocolate-chip-cookies
tara obrady ccc 4

11 Likes

those look tasty.

1 Like

It’s not in her book, only Serious Eats.

ETA: Ah nvm, I saw that it’s in the book as a variation.

1 Like

I really miss Stella Parks on Serious Eats.

2 Likes

ME TOO. She just disappeared!

1 Like

Here are my notes! I made them on 9/12/18. AWWW!

Made them 2T size - half batch = 20 cookies, baked for 10 minutes. DO NOT flatten. Let dough rest in fridge for 24 hours.

(she has you make them 1/4 cup and baked for 20-22 minutes!!! - her baking times are ALL too long)

1 Like

Thank you!

I printed out the recipe, and made a note of your notes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find it sort of funny how a chocolate chip cookie just always tastes like a chocolate chip cookie. I never find brown butter really shines through in them. I can put smoked salt and sourdough starter in them like these and ultimately still just tastes like a chocolate chip cookie. A delicious one, but a classic chocolate chip cookie nonetheless.
Well, malted milk tends to come through if you use enough of it, though even then most people would be hard-pressed to pinpoint what the difference is.

11 Likes

Luscious looking, Shelly!

1 Like

Thank you!