What are you baking? April 2022

I would definitely do it the same way again; no reason to spend the time and cause more clean up to cook the curd separately. Next time I will also sub cornmeal for 1/3 of the flour. I love the crunch and taste of cornmeal in pie crusts.

2 Likes

Gorgeous

1 Like

Thank you

Did you strain the curd before pouring into crust?

Lemon jam cake with strawberry glaze. This has a small ribbon of strawberry jam in the cake, the lemon jam is incorporated in the batter.
Served with a dollop of lemon curd.

16 Likes

A work of art

2 Likes

Why thank you Stef…thank you very much!

1 Like

Nope…it turned out fine without straining. The curd was baked in the parbaked pie crust “raw” rather than cooked on the stove top. I don’t know if that made a difference or not in terms of needing straining.

Milk bread from Mooncakes and Milk Bread. Easy dough to work with, though mine was definitely stickier than shown in the book. Still easy to shape with a bit of flour and the butter in it kept it from sticking to the counter. I do find single loaves like this sometimes just aren’t enough dough for my large capacity stand mixer, but it worked out in the end. I was originally going to leave this in the fridge for 8 hours to rise, but plans changed so it got maybe 3 hours in the fridge and a couple on the counter in a cool room. Haven’t tried it yet, so can’t compare with the one I made ages ago from Pastry Love, and honestly I don’t

remember the details anyway.

14 Likes

I made two 6-inch garlic butter cheesy wool roll breads and one regular 8-inch to use up some queso de hoja that was not as good as usual.

14 Likes

HOLY COW.

and here’s more text, since HO doesn’t like my post.

1 Like

Well, Holy Smokes, thank you!

1 Like

Bravo that is very appetizing !

1 Like

Thank you ! A couple of granddaughters dropped by and took half home…they were very happy with it.

1 Like

I need help with a recipe I was volunteered to make for a wedding.

This is a Crisco-era “Italian cookie” recipe I was given on an old recipe card. I just made a half-batch of as a trial. The cookies are not good; they frankly remind me of Bisquick-type “biscuits.” You are supposed to split them in half, dig out a little well and fill it with jam, then replace the top and dust with powdered sugar. They are dry, not flavorful, difficult to split, and don’t really look pretty.

Since the point of this nostalgia cookie is nostalgia, I’m most interested in finding out what these are supposed to look and taste like (versus rewriting the recipe completely.) For your reference:

1.5 c sugar
1.5 c Crisco
6 eggs
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
8 c flour
1 cup milk
8 tsp (!) baking powder

Basic cream method, then add eggs and vanilla, then flour and milk. Roll into balls and bake briefly.
italian cookies

2 Likes

From your photo I was reminded of baci di dama, but the recipe doesn’t resemble them at all.
Recipe looks ok outside of the Crisco and the fact that it’s a low amount of fat for all that flour. The sugar is low, too, but that can be ok for sandwich type cookies. Baking powder is fine since it’s basically 1 tsp per cup of flour, and that’s a lot for a cookie, but if the cookie is biscuit-like I can see it. Milk is kind of weird for that style of cookie, but not for a biscuit-like result. Salt is low.
I’m going to see if I can remember an Italian cookie that is similar to that.

Exactly right. Not enough fat, first and most egregious problem. Here’s a funny thing: when i was measuring out the milk, I put Mom’s skim milk back in the fridge and used my raw grass-fed deliciously incredibly creamy full-fat milk. I imagine if I had used the skim, I would’ve spit the first one out when I tasted it!

They’re also not sweet enough for me, although I must say, that’s my impression generally of Italian-American cookies - from Italian-American bakeries, that is. I’ve never had homemade, I don’t think.

1 Like

Ha, I usually find Italian baked goods more sweet than I like. I mean, even rainbow cookies, which I love, I find pretty sweet. But I can see what you mean for some of the butter cookies, which I tend to love for that reason.

1 Like

The cookies are better today, flavor wise, but even harder to split and scoop without crumbling.

1 Like

MAY discussion is here!