Weekly Menu Planning - March 2022

Truman, I met a friend for lunch in a restaurant last week for the first time in two years. I realized I had forgotten how to “people”. It went really well and it was great to meet at a restaurant by the ocean in Swampscott (Mission Bay) with great water views.

So glad the toe is healing and no surgery, and YES to son getting the part and trying out beyond comfort zone, which has now had its boundaries expanded!
It’s so great DS is helping with DH’s birthday, and enjoy that meeting with old boss, too.

8 Likes

I don’t really use recipes for soup, sorry! In this case, I will brown the veggies first to get a little caramelization, add the broth and seasonings, simmer till the flavors blend, then I pour it over the cooked tortellini to ensure they don’t get overcooked.

3 Likes

Close enough - thanks!

1 Like

This made me so happy to read!

5 Likes

@truman I missed the broken big toe on your earlier post - ouch! Wish you good recovery!

I was surprised about the boot - I’ve broken a big toe multiple times (as also my little toe, including a few days into packing for my parents’ move last month when it was an obstacle course… but no one knows that happened…), and every time they wouldn’t put a splint or boot or anything.

With the little toe the only thing they said one time (after I pushed) was that I could tape it to the one next to it — not for medical reasons, but so other people could see I was hurt and they would be less likely to step on my foot :woman_facepalming:t2:

Anyway - careful about other people :joy: and I hope it heals soon!

5 Likes

Hello everyone! Updates from last week: salmon with “bedazzle rice” was good. posted here
@sallyt I made the Bars of Fame on Thursday! I texted my neighbor to ask if she wanted some and she replied “I love getting this kind of text from you”.
Husband’s report on unicycle riding class: “I still haven’t ridden a unicycle but I came a lot closer than ever before.” he will keep practicing.
Last Friday we went out! I really wanted a fried fish sandwich so we went to our local burger type place and sat in the cold, drafty covered porch area.
For this week: We thought it was spring but today is gray and chilly again in STL. Daughter will be at a robotics competition Thu-Sat so may or may not be joining us for dinner.
Sun 3/27: chicken Reuben skillet from Simply Julia with roasted broccoli, extra-crispy by accident, and roasted potatoes
Mon 3/28: asparagus cacio e pepe, I think this is from Dinner Changing the Game. super easy.
Tue 3/29: deferred from last week: perfect poached eggs with spiced chickpeas and smothered pita chips from Cook This Book, green beans
Wed 3/30: mystery freezer soup. there are a few quart jars of unlabeled soup in the freezer that are a few/many years old and I pull one out about every 6 weeks so we can use them up. Either grilled cheese sandwiches or biscuits to go with. roasted cauliflower
Thu 3/31: I am really not sure yet, and it bothers me to not have a plan! Daughter may or may not be home for dinner.
Fri 4/1: takeout or maybe eating in an actual restaurant again. Husband has a credit for a nice dinner from work.
Hope you all have a great and delicious week!

16 Likes

YAY to eating out and to the bars of fame! Did you like them? A friend made them after I posted on IG and was like, they are SO RICH. They really need to a healthy dose of Maldon sea salt and I think that they taste best like 5-10 minutes after being stored in the fridge.

5 Likes

Yeah, that was my reaction to the bars of fame/shame - too rich for me! One of my nieces was in love, but the rest of my family found them to be too much (and honestly, I’m not a peanut butter & chocolate person anyway…) That said, they are SUPER easy, so a good option for when you need something quick and impressive. (The salt + fridge tips are good to know, though!)

5 Likes

Congrats to your son on the play casting - and most importantly, for trying something new!

I like the sounds of your husband’s birthday dinner! Also happy to hear the toe is healing as well.

3 Likes

A little late this week due to a crazy day at work on Friday and a relatively busy weekend.

Cooking for two adults and a 3 year old in the Toronto suburbs. Work has been pretty crazy, and I am finding the increased amount of socializing completely exhausting. I have been saving vacation time for the summer, but thinking we may need to do a long weekend somewhere soon.

Friday: the enchilada pasta I didn’t get a chance to make earlier in the week This was actually a huge hit for the 3 year old, and I will definitely make again given the fibre content.
He doesn’t seemed bothered by the chickpea pasta! https://peasandcrayons.com/2017/04/healthy-one-pot-enchilada-pasta.html

Sunday: BBQ beef tenderloin steaks, mushrooms, green salad, roasted potatoes The little guy ate half my steak and all of my mushrooms. Claimed he didn’t like potatoes anymore - we are working on saying “I am still learning to like this” or “I don’t like it YET” instead of “I don’t like it”. He still ate the potatoes…

Sunday: had my nieces and nephew and BIL & SIL over for dinner. Baked Ziti, SV Cesar salad, homemade rolls. Forgot about dessert so the kids had popsicles, probably from last summer. The dog jumped off the couch, didn’t yelp, but started limping after. (Little known facts, Yorkies are capable of faking an injury, according to my vet). My 8 year old niece was very sympathetic and concerned, kept giving him treats, carrying him up the stairs, etc. Dog was magically better this morning when he forgot about his injury.

Monday (tonight) The 3 year old has swimming lessons - first one without us in the pool with him.
We will see how it goes. Having leftover pasta & steamed broccoli when we get home.

Tuesday: Office day. Honey Lemon Chicken & Asparagus

Wednesday: Office Day & out for dinner with friends afterwards. My husband and the 3 year old will eat whatever my husband throws together.

Thursday: going to my parents for my dad’s 67th birthday celebration.

Have a great week everyone!

17 Likes

One of my most treasured memories of the corgi whose picture is my avatar was doggie daycare calling to tell me he’d had his leg bitten by another dog but not to worry, he seemed fine. Went to pick him up, saw through the window he was walking just fine, as soon as he came though the door and saw me he could barely stand on that leg. Had to be lifted into the car. I’m laughing just typing this. He too was fully cured by the next morning. :rofl:

10 Likes

My border collie did this when he hurt his paw. Once it healed, he would lift the wrong one to get attention.

4 Likes

And this is why dogs are awesome!

4 Likes

Thanks for the sympathies… The podiatrist told me to tape it (so that joint couldn’t bend) and that’s helped a lot. When I broke my 4th toe a few years ago, there was a lot of buddy-taping.

3 Likes

I cut them into 1-inch squares to manage the richness. Definitely sprinkled Maldon salt on top. We gave quite a few away to spare ourselves the calories.
I liked but did not love them, but nonetheless ate quite a few. I agree, they give the impression of more effort than they actually require.

3 Likes

Let’s see if I can get back into posting weekly. Lulu’s schedule has become a lot to work around, lots of last minute changes. But we’re managing well. Here are actuals for the past week. Cooking for 2-3 in Chapel Hill, NC.

3/21: Lulu decided to ask a friend to go out to dinner. I was confused about why she’d do this, and on a Monday, but sure. I love that we’re walking distance to restaurants, and love that she’s comfortable doing stuff like this. LLD made himself a steak and tater tots. I made myself a big salad. Both of us happy.

3/22: Lulu had a meeting, and LLD promised to take her to it and wait. So, solo dinner for me (happy dance!). Leftover salad and a baked potato while finishing Pam and Tommy. A blast.

3/23: LLD out of town for the coming week. Lulu and I got burritos.

3/24: chicken and rice soup with lemon and dill, NYT recipe

3/25: greens and beans alla vodka, NYT recipe

3/26: straight As on Lulu’s report card, rewarded with a sushi feast out

3/27: kidney bean curry (Made in India), basmati, yogurt

3/28: black bean tacos with feta and cabbage

3/29: carryout

It’s been a delicious beanapalooza. LLD back tomorrow at midnight. Hope everyone has a great week, and happy to have found a place to hang out together.

17 Likes

Congrats to Lulu on the straight As! And she can now meet up with friends without having to rely on her parents getting her there and back. (My friends with kids seem to like this part of child rearing the best…)

8 Likes

Hello Everyone from the blustery Twin Cities of MN where the forecast is for all forms of winter precipitation in the next day or so, and Mr Autumm is on his first work trip in forever and he’s in Texas. Grr. He has officially lost all ability to pack a suitcase (again) but at least put the right amount of everything in the suitcase. Progress, I guess. So it’s just me and the girls to wrap up March and give this HO thing a try. Actuals for 2 adults and 2 kiddos and plans for 1 adult and 2 kiddos.

Thurs 24: Closing on the re-finance for the reno funding. So glad we locked in when we did cause the interest rate was almost a percent higher. Yikes! Fancy cheese night to celebrate

Fri 25: Big kiddo’s IEP, little kiddo skated. Leftover chicken parm, girls chose over noodles, mr autumm as a sandwich. I had a salad with the last of the SV Juila’s ceaser

Sat 26: A no cooking mojo kind of day. Assorted apps from the freezer, salad. I really wanted take out but I knew Mr Autumm was looking at a week of dinners out

Sun 27: Leftovers to clear out the fridge supplemented with blue box

Mon 28: Big kiddo skated, almost didn’t as the rink lost power right before her session. White chicken chili adapted from Taste of Home - seared chicken on the stove and then everything into the crockpot to simmer while we were gone.

Tues 29: Tonight! Both girls skate but there is a 45 minute gap between ice time. Just long enough for us to get home to turn back around. I’ve been feeling queasy all day- I think getting up at 430 AM is not my thing. Probably blue box (again?) Maybe I need to walk over to the neighbors and feed their chickens. The chickies make me smile

Weds 30: Dine to donate at a local burger place- we will do take out.

Thurs 31: Probably fancy cheese night encore - the girls love it and we have just enough leftover cheese. As if leftover cheese is a thing. . .

Fri 1: Little kiddo skates. Mr Autumm gets home at midnight. Leftover white chicken chili. Not too much wine as I agreed to take big kiddo for her 830 skating lesson on Saturday morning. I never do this as I am not a morning person!

Take care everyone! Glad so see so many familiar names and “faces” here

19 Likes

Welcome! I agree with your “as if leftover cheese is a thing…” as it certainly isn’t here. All cheese has a purpose. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Glad to see you here, @Autumm2. Exciting news about your kitchen remodel able to move forward! You could label those assorted appetizers meals like Saturday “tapas night” and no one would know it was a no-cooking-mojo day. :wink:

7 Likes