Trip report 2021 [Iceland]

First full day behind us. We’re off to a great start. I’m going to post in installments to encourage myself to keep up.

Wed, 23 June [Gardur]
After a harrowing last-minute cancellation of our direct flight from Boston, unbeknownst to us (B found out when going to the KLM website to select our seats), we made it on time the morning of the 23rd from JFK. It was weird, seeing everything in Terminal 4 closing by 8 or 9 pm due to COVID. We ate adequate burritos but really nice waitstaff and big pours of wine made up for that. As usual, we grabbed a box of red wine at Keflavik airport ($40 there, ~$60 at the state-run liquor shops). Passed out at our cottage in Gardur for a few hours, hit the grocery store for bare essentials (like Spring Onion’s favorite sweet, Hraun, skyr for B, and my usual ramen noodles for breakfast). Then we pushed through our fatigue and did an arduous but cool hike to Fagradalsfjall volcano. We were there a total of 3 hours, which brought us to nearly 9 pm and not enough food to cook for dinner (except instant cup o’ mac n cheese for SO). Restaurants either closed or closing…except for Subway. I hadn’t eaten at one since high school, and for B, more like grad school. And funnily, they were good! Both made with care (this is almost always the case in Iceland, at even the most basic places…similar to Japan) and there were a good amount of other customers. B got a BLT and I got a spicy vegan patty, both on multigrain seeded bread, loads of veggies. It’s midnight sun time here so we all stayed up a bit to celebrate.
image image image

16 Likes

So excited to see this post! Beautiful midnight sun. Can’t wait for more!

3 Likes

^ Same. I’ll be here to read any further dispatches.

3 Likes

Thurs, 24 June [Gardur]
Another stellar day yesterday. Breakfast at our cottage then a swim at the very basic Gardur public pool, followed by an awesome fast food lunch at Pulsuvagninn. B (everything) and SO (plain) both get the famous hot dogs while I get the pita with vegetables. The guys love their dogs and my pita is tasty, though a bit messy. The pita is not traditional, but more like a toasty, crispy flatbread stuffed with lettuce, tomato, onion and as customary in Iceland, a white sauce. The sum was definitely greater than its parts. Crispy, fresh French fries (no old oil here). Walked across the street to the first of many shopping trips at Bonus, the discount grocery store with the crazy pig logo. Got just enough stuff for a simple pasta dinner (bronze die-cut rotini for us and cheese tortellini for SO) and some decent-looking multigrain bread and cheese for happy hour later at our cottage. We spent the rest of the day back at the volcano (this time, doing a shorter hike right out next to the growing lava field, which was awe-inspiring) and other sites on the Reykjanes peninsula. Today, Friday, we move out and head towards Grundarfjörður. It’s supposed to start raining here on Reykjanes peninsula later today but it should be dry in Reykyavik, so we’ll probably stop in the big city to break up the drive, eat fish and chips at the well-known vagninn out in the harbor. And B would like to stop for happy hour at “his” place, Bryggjan Brugghus. I think we’re going to skip eating at IKEA on this leg, but who knows? We may end up there towards the end of our trip. LOL
image image image image image image image image

11 Likes

Really enjoying this report!

1 Like

Yay for another great day! Thanks for taking us with you. Loving the scenery (both nature and small human) as well as the food reporting.

2 Likes

Friday 25 June [Grundarfjörður]
We checked out of our cottage in Gardur. Typical Icelandic weather today - windy, variable precipitation, but because it’s summer, it’s warm so it’s quite bearable, at least to us. We head to Reykjavik to wait out the rain on our next destination, on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula (by the way, hell if I can pronounce anything correctly even after 4 previous times in Iceland…B and I resort to calling it the “Snuffleupagus peninsula”). SO has not been eating well, so he is starving by the time we reach Reykjavik and wants pancakes so we head to the Laundromat Cafe, which had closed last time we tried to go (in driving rain) but has since re-opened. SO gets a beautiful stack of blueberry pancakes. B and I are not hungry at noon so we snack on hummus and bread. Some adult beverages may have been consumed. We walk around Reykjavik, which is far less crowded than the last time we were there. Stop at an Asian market for some Asian supplies, Braud and Co for a baguette, Onnom for big chocolate bars, and by then, it’s time to hit the road. We’re sadly not hungry enough to stop for fish stew at Kaffivagnnin, which we were hoping to do but with a kid in tow who was hungry at noon (and dad had to help him finish his pancakes), being flexible is the key to happiness. Stopped at another Bonus in Borganes for more supplies, and through some wicked wind and driving rain to sun, rainbows, and our lovely cottage, where we stayed in 2018. I made a decent pasta dish with chickpeas, a scampi mix from home, and Linda McCartney soy protein crumbles. Lots of wine, a run on the play structure next to the cottage, and a dip in the hot tub under full-on sunshine. Frozen margherita pizza and cheese + baguette for SO. We will go to sleep happy again tonight. Excellent weather is promised for tomorrow.
image image image image image image

10 Likes

What fun and a rainbow too!

3 Likes

This is such a fun report to read. Thank you for taking us along! I remember learning about Iceland in 4th grade ( a long time ago! and have always wanted to go there. Maybe your report will give me encouragement I need to finally get there!

3 Likes

Monday 28 June [Hvammstangi]
We had a great day on Saturday exploring the Snæfellsnes Peninsula. We’ve been in this area on previous trips, but didn’t explore as extensively. We saw awesome yellow sand beaches (most in Iceland are black sand because of all the lava rock), beautiful basalt columns and rock formations, volcano craters…and probably the worst meal we’ve ever had in Iceland. We stopped in Hellnar to do a coastal hike, which we did in 2018. There is a cute little cafe, Fjöruhúsið, on the hillside which we admired back then. This time we stopped and we each ordered the “famous” fish soup, a waffle for SO. The waffle was fine, nothing special and came with a big bowl of real whipped cream and rhubarb jam. The soup was absolutely laughable. First impression is that it was a kids portion. And it had the look and taste of dirty dishwater, with barely anything in there, maybe 2 baby shrimps, some julienned carrot, a cube or 2 of potato. But, still, we gobbled it all down and the bread that came with it. With a bad beer (Grolsch) and red wine, we were $75 USD wiser. But, B had no regrets - we had a wonderful view on the outdoor patio in the full-on sunshine. Dinner was a simple pasta dish at home.

The following day, Sunday, we checked out and headed east, towards Hvammstangi. Some beautiful landscapes/vistas on that drive. We stop about midway in Búðardalur for lunch - first, a gas station hot dog for SO. I think I have written about this before, but the gas stations here are nothing like US ones; bathrooms are spotless and some have full-blown restaurants and almost all have a decent snack bar. B and I have a sit-down lunch at Veiðistaðurinn, a seafood place. B has very good fish and chips, while I pass over the seafood soup (still pissed about the rip-off from the previous day) and get the tomato soup and onion rings. The tomato soup is basically tomato puree (but I think this is the way Icelanders like it - I had a similar thing a few years back at Friðheimar. Like everywhere in Iceland, very good job with the deep fryer. I spy a young boy getting the seafood soup and I immediately felt envy. We pull into Hvammstangi, amazed by all the trees in this town (Iceland was deforested like 1000 years ago by Vikings). We hit the town pool for a couple of hours then decide to have yet another pasta dinner at home. Today, we’ll check out the Icelandic Seal Centre and Kolugljúfur Canyon. Hoping to splurge for a meal at Sjávarborg, which is basically the only restaurant in town.

10 Likes

The light looks amazing there, among other things. Really enjoying your reports!

2 Likes

A wonderful travel story … We were in Iceland a few years ago with a photographer friend and his wife, who is also an author. (Luigi Montali and Lucia ) …

4 Likes

Tuesday 29 June [Hvammstangi]
An unexpectedly glorious sunny day! Yesterday, we decided to take it easy so breakfast at our cottage was followed by a visit to the Seal Centre (typical Icelandic museum - small but highly informative; of course, SO gravitated to the one digital display that tracked 1 grey seal over the course of a year, which was amazingly well-done with a clever interface). The young woman behind the counter was enamored with SO and snuck him a free fridge magnet. She advises us to visit the seal colony at low tide, which is at 7 pm. We stocked up at the awesome grocery/general store next door, Kaupfélag Vestur Húnvetninga, which has a surprisingly diverse selection (lots of jarred curry sauces, great choice of canned beans, all manner of rice and grains, and clothing). And, unlike Bonus, carries frozen fish that is not sold as a 20-pack. We may stop in this morning on our way out of town to grab some frozen salmon (fresh fish is seemingly never available in Icelandic grocery stores, at least in our experience), which will serve as ice packs for our cold stuff. Should thaw just in time for dinner tonight. :slight_smile: We decide to forgo checking out Kolugljúfur Canyon in lieu of lunch at our cottage and more pool time, followed by an early dinner at Sjávarborg. It’s located above the Seal Centre and the exterior totally belies the slick, modern, but welcoming interior. And we splurge on our best meal yet of salmon with all sorts of roasted veggies for B, the excellent seafood soup (although still a little light on the solids) for me, and kids fish and chips for SO. He turns his nose up to the (excellently) fried fish and shares the salmon with B, who in turn, gladly eats SO’s fried fish. Nice house white wine and a fancy Icelandic IPA for B. We are satisfied (although admittedly, still a little hungry). We go look at a seal colony after dinner. The numbers of seals have been dwindling but there are concerted research and conservation efforts. We wished we lugged our big binoculars, but B managed to take some zoomed-in videos. Our next destination today is close to Húsavík. We will be passing through Akureyri, so we may stop for the sushi lunch buffet at Rub 23 which we enjoyed a couple of years ago and some pool time at the AWESOME city pool (in our opinions, the best in the country).

11 Likes

Thursday 1 July [Akureyri]
We are now in the unofficial Northern capital, Akureyri, for the next 3 days. The weather, like for our friends back home in New England and in the PNW, has been unseasonably warm (it was 26C/79F 2 days ago and generally has been in the 70s and sunny nearly the whole time we’ve been here). We spent the last 2 days at a farm about 30 minutes south of Húsavík, which is the whale-watching center of Iceland. On Tuesday, we stopped in Akureyri and did the sushi lunch buffet at Rub 23. Barely supermarket-level rolls and nigiri, but filling and fresh and this Asian girl needs Asian food, even on vacation. :slight_smile: The best thing to eat is the perfectly cooked fish fillets. And green salad, which we always miss while on vacation. Best deal in town for ~$30/person. Simple dinner at home at our farm-stay - we were still stuffed from lunch. Good kids menu but SO wanted a hot dog.

On Wednesday, we did a whale-watch and saw dolphins, minke whales, and 2 humpbacks so we were all happy. Afterwards, we had a simple but HUGE lunch of fish and chips at a restaurant called “Fish and Chips.” Beer-battered and a bit too salty, but we brought home half, which we ate with brown rice and a facsimile of Asian-y smashed cucumbers for dinner. After we got home to our farm-stay, the most amazing (to us) thing happened. I see a big cheery truck pull up. A young, friendly kid bounds out. He is selling ice cream, burgers, and even frozen fish (from a place we recognize a few trips ago). He is doing this for a summer job to save up for college. Apparently, this is a “thing” in Iceland now. Kinda like a spontaneous/pop-in InstaCart. Which would annoy us at home, but here, we find it charming. And the kid is too. We are tempted by the fish but the portion is too big (smallest is 1.3 kg) so we buy 2 ice cream novelties for SO (at a premium) but we don’t mind.

Today (Thursday) we checked out of our farm cottage and headed to Lake Mývatn to check out all the cool geothermal spots and had lunch at the very comfortable Gamli Bærinn, where we had lunch a couple of years ago. It’s owned by Icelandair Hotel, so you can guarantee schizophrenic American soundtrack playing (a Lionel Richie song came on that made both me and B crack up…not that we don’t love the guy, but still…c’mon! Followed by Billie Eilish). We had a satisfying meal of the soup/bread buffet for me (cream of vegetable) and the arctic char special for B. It came with a little green salad and roasted baby potatoes, which we couldn’t put our finger on the spice/herb that was used. Not cinnamon, not anise, but something fennel-ish. In any case, it was good. As usual, the fish is cooked perfectly. Silky moist and delicious, even though it’s probably farmed - B doesn’t mind. SO enjoyed yet another Icelandic hot dog (I keep telling myself that they are higher quality than American hot dogs) and a blueberry muffin from the restaurant.

And I haven’t discussed the COVID situation here. Prior to landing, we had to register with the Ministry of Health, and we showed our vaccination cards upon arrival. At the airport, we all got nose/mouth swabbed and were supposed to stay within close vicinity of Reykjavik until our rapid results came in. They all came back negative within a day. It was extremely efficient, which is the Icelandic way. On Saturday, all restrictions were lifted. We haven’t seen anyone wearing masks and we feel quite comfortable that we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Of course, almost all of our activities are outdoors with very few people around, which helps to quell any of our concerns. B, who is a health professional at Man’s Greatest Hospital, said just today that he’s forgotten about COVID on this trip. Which is the stuff of vacations, isn’t it?

image image image image image

12 Likes

Great trip report! Though it seems I’ve missed my chance to make a weak Trapped joke about ending up in Siglufjörður. Weather conditions not quite apt for it, either!

1 Like

My husband is obsessed with Trapped. I don’t watch much TV but I know I’ll like it from his descriptions - I’ll give it a go once we’re home.

1 Like

I was so excited to see this next installment and it didn’t disappoint. The kid with the truck is priceless. Whale watch tour sounds like an amazing day.

3 Likes

It’s a great show, if you like Northern Noir. (And I do!) But maybe best watched after a trip to Iceland, rather than immediately before, regardless of the season. :slight_smile:

This is our 5th trip to Iceland (and during the last one, I drove my little family of 3 over a mountain pass in a blizzard in a 2WD tin can of a car). So, I don’t get easily frightened anymore.

3 Likes

Saturday 3 July [Akureyri]
A fun couple of days, just chilling in Akureyri. Thursday, we check into our cottage just outside Akureyri then head into town to hit the city pool. Dinner at our cottage of chickpeas over brown rice (yeah, about as creative as it sounds). Yesterday (Friday) we got a late start, stopped by Bakaríið við Brúna, which was hopping in the late morning, and then hung out at the pool until lunchtime. We got a half loaf of a good-looking multi-grainy boule-type bread, a couple of macarons and a bagel for SO, a cinnamon roll for B, a delicious everything-looking flaky roll which has a layer of cheese inside, and a giant cracker-looking puffy soda bread for SO (I should have taken a photo with SO holding the full-sized product - that’s him, with half of it). We stop at Bonus post-pool for some supplies (B gets a salmon dip/sauce to go with bread which he says is too mayonnaise-y…to me, it sounds and looks yucky) and the attached Fisk Kompaní for fresh Icelandic salmon for SO, a mango chile marinated salmon for B, and a white fish marinated with wasabi with other unknown flavors for me and B to share. By the way, don’t you love my vague descriptions? It’s pretty hilarious when we go to the bakery or fish shop…we basically do a lot of pointing and grunting because nearly everything is undecipherable. A Vinbudin run to stock up on wine and beer and we have a random lunch at home after the pool. A wonderful visit to the beautiful park, Kjarnaskógur and then home for dinner of roasted salmon and roasted potatoes (we’ll eat the other fish tonight for dinner). A little frozen corn off the cob mostly for SO but some for us, too. Today, I think we’ll head to Siglufjörður to revisit the excellent Herring Museum. Yet another sunny and warm day. To paraphrase a favorite show of mine, it’s always sunny in Iceland!

Random photos:

!

7 Likes