The Last Conversation You'll Ever Need to Have About Eating Right [Grub Street]

Put down that bacon and eat your beans.

1 Like

I suppose if one was in perfect health this would be good. I would only say that once I was diagnosed with CKD , I became aware of
how much my diet contributed to that diagnosis, even though I “thought “ I was eating healthfully.

What do you mean? One needn’t be in perfect health to eat nutritiously.

I only meant that over the course of time I thought I was eating healthy and nutritiously, but I was blind to the fact I was already in the early stages of CKD.
I’d never associated particular foods as being harmful for me even though considered healthy in the big picture.
I’m only stating this because I was dumb and blind and if I’d been more in touch with my body I could have saved myself a lot of pain and sickness. A cautionary tale, I guess. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I saw this article making the rounds on Facebook a few weeks ago. I had never heard of Katz before I read it, but I’m well acquainted with Mark Bittman’s vegetarian-vegan schtick. I wasn’t at all surprised to read statements like:

“You cannot have a complete or healthful diet without carbohydrate sources.”
“There is no evidence that [ketogenic] diets are conducive to good health in the long run, and no evidence they are better than other, more sustainable diets at health transformation or weight loss in the short run.”
“The only use of a ketogenic diet that is clearly medically justified is to treat refractory seizures in select cases, mostly in children.”
“Fish is unquestionably the healthiest animal protein to eat.”
“But a diet cannot be optimal if it is not made up mostly of some balanced combination of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, and water.”
“There are obvious ethical and environmental benefits of raising meat in a lab rather than the body of a living animal.”

These statements are opinion at best and demonstrably, scientifically false at worst. For instance, ketogenic diets are frequently used to treat Type II diabetes and can allow diabetics to achieve normal blood sugar levels without insulin or other medications. There is plenty of evidence that ketogenic diets are conducive to long term health and sustained weight loss, and they are obviously effective in the short run - why else would people go on them?

The anti low-carb, holier-than-though vegan bias in the article is obvious and to be expected from a shill like Bittman, but it’s too bad that a nutritionist who should know better is spouting this type of nonsense.

1 Like

Dr. Katz not a “nutritionist”, he’s a doctor, one requirement for a medical degree is human biology. Mark Bittman is asking questions, which the doctor answers. How is that shilling? Why does this very basic advice bother you so much?

I consider it a fairly concise explanation of basic nutrition.

Because it assumes you’re healthy. If you’re not or have a particular affliction or dietary restriction the advice is not relevant at best and dangerous at the extreme.
My opinion as a sick guy with dietary restrictions.

The article is not directed at sick people. I understand some people have medical reasons to adjust their diet, but that doesn’t negate basic everyday nutrition for people without health issues. This is where doctors come in handy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello it would be greatly appreciated if we can keep the conversation on what we feel are the pros vs. cons of the diet and less about individual(s). I have removed a few posts which seemed a bit more personal than of any overall value towards the quality of the topic / conversation.
Thank you

Links to actual research articles?