The Future of Liquor License in NJ

Cool factor sure.

If my friends were setting this up I would def tip for their service and expense. Contribute to the inventory cost.

Like a buddy tips me for driving him to upstate NY a few times a year towards gas/tolls.

Is that really odd?

Very cool, but how long before the state clamps down?

1 Like

I thought the same thing, Greg…also, why be interviewed and ‘out’ yourself that way?? While I don’t think it’s illegal, I guess I don’t understand drawing attention to it if you’re not looking for the public to come to your garage.

1 Like

Yes, not very bright. You can be damn sure some undercovers will be checking the place out. All that has to happen is one of those “tips” not being given the right way and seen as a monetary exchange and the show is over.

When we had events at the museum with alcohol involved, there was constant general paranoia, and we were open to the public. Ways we got around it included people buying the cup and the booze was free, or making a donation ($3 for beer, $5 for wine, etc) and then pouring the drink themselves. Was this legal? Yes, in the same way this garage stuff is. But all it takes is one person getting bent out of shape and that could be the end of it. This is, after all, the glorious Garden State.

2 Likes

It’s funny. NBC just premiered a new show called Abby’s last Thursday about a woman who runs a neighborhood bar in her backyard (but she charges for her liquor). It’s sort of an outdoor Cheers but not as good.

Things could be worse. Today, Kansas finally allows “strong “ beer in grocery stores, gas stations , and the like. That means stronger than 3.2!
:slight_smile:
But still only up to 6%…
And no, not an April fools post.

1 Like

I thought they said in the video he opened the garage up to the township for inspection? (health dept I would think?) I can and do anticipate the town/county/state are going to be doing their research and passing bills that will prevent this, until that time though have at it I guess.

What will be a major problem is God forbid something happens to someone leaving one of these garage bars, I’m 110% sure their homeowners is going to have an issue paying on an claims that result from a garage bar. That’s where even accepting “tips” will lead to running an enterprise out of their home, which I’m sure they didn’t run by their insurance company prior to doing so.

3 Likes

All very valid questions one and all. But let’s not stop there…NJ wiggle room knows no bounds.

Corp. Fundraisers, silent auctions, tricky trays, quilt raffles with many unregistered to run a game of chance…

Business alliances working with expired 501c3…

Do we ask at Schools and houses of worship if their various money raising events are all registed annually?

One bad apple will spoil any number of ideas. Liability will always hover over the risk and yet everyday there is an example to point to.

Stay tuned.

Ah the workaround. Just as much energy spent finding a hushed up workaround so folks can enjoy themselves. See it all the time. Which is why the line crossing gets a albeit short day in the sun before someone else comes along to ruin it.

1 Like

Even without a garage bar setup the laws in NJ for entertaining anyone at your home to the point of impairment can fall back on the host.

When you run any biz out of your home best to have an insurance rider.

As for the money/tips an incredibly gray area. Do you tip for services over and above the fee for any type of service? Gosh, I do. Think that tip gets reported to the office, state or boro?

Educate my feeble tip generous brain.

Believe it or not, I was thinking the same thing–there’s an inherent liability attached when you have a bar like that vs. having friends over for dinner/drinks…

I think this is a good opportunity for me to disclose my latest business venture. Please contact me for summer 2019 Franchise Opportunity:

3 Likes

Not that far fetched!

Props for your fast on the trigger cut and paste talents.

1 Like

This garage bar in NJ goes back a few years already.

And it’s the same guy interviewed in the original CBSNY article you linked in your original post. I don’t know about tips but it does seem he’s making some money by offering his services as a consultant on helping others to turn their own garages into bars. Which probably explains how the story got onto CBS in the first place - my guess is this guy sent out a press release.

Again, I assume this must be more like turning your garage into a social club. Surely you all must have seen them? I know there are plenty in NJ. They’re all over NYC as well, usually they are ethnic. Near me there’s a Serbian one, a Macedonian one, a couple of Greek ones. I think a lot of people associate them with the Mafia since the mob guys always had a bunch of different Italian ones that they ran for themselves - but as far as I can see they are mostly just social, as advertised. Places where people (men mostly) from that ethnic community go to drink beer and watch soccer. Since they’re not open to the public they don’t have to follow the same rules as a bar.

I assume these places must run the same way, with the invited members helping to defray the costs either through a membership fee or through just kicking in (which I suppose you could call tipping, although I wouldn’t ). In that case I don’t see why they wouldn’t be as legal as any other social club.

1 Like

Zoning. You cannot just decide to turn your home or a portion of it into a “social club”. That’s where a problem could or would come up with trying to run a social club in a residential area. Obviously this guy has done his research or possibly lives in a mixed zoning area. (which would explain a lot) You would have to check and double check all your local zoning laws before attempting this.

2 Likes

From what I read Gar Bar is one of several interviewed but the main guy advertising this and offering his services, writing through a website has more in mind. Social clubs are usually in commercial areas or affiliated with other established businesses. Fwiw, I think missing your fav watering hole so much that you decide to transform your garage into a home bar is not suprising. Inviting people over to enjoy themselves a no brainer.

Where that idea leads is up to the town.

2 Likes

Since this is a NJ specific topic, anyone been to Murphy’s in Rumson? While not a Gar-Bar it is still an experience to be had, albeit for a basement bar.

1 Like

Yes been going there many years…its a lot more genteel now than it was back in the day. Still one of the coolest places.

I did not endear myself to my future mother in law when I left her house with my then fiancee (they lived a couple blocks away) after Thanksgiving dinner to head to Murphy’s for a few fresheners between dinner and dessert…returing 3 hours later evidently isn’t desirable behavior (who knew?)

4 Likes

The basement bar at Old Glory we enjoy.