The Big Fat Nostalgia Thread For All

Starting this, as I think we may need it in times such as these. No matter how old or young you may be, I’m sure we might all be wishing to live in a different, less worrisome time in our respective lives, whatever that era or year, may be. Thought we might even want to share photos of ourselves from whatever happy event, holiday, vacation or whatever we remember fondly. I’m too shy to start first, but I have one digital photo from my past I’d be comfortable posting. As far as a current picture goes, I’m afraid I’d need a lifestyle lift, a talented makeup artist and a good photographer, at the very least. The bloom is definitely off this rose! :upside_down_face: OK, I dare you, please start…

ETA: stories too of course!

1 Like

Oh come on you guys, not even a story here? Ok I’ve got a question for you then; what would your four top retro meals be? I’ll start with mine.

Lobster Thermidor
Steak Oscar/Steak Diane
Shrimp Scampi
Coquilles St Jacques

There are lots of others. Think I’ll make Lobster Thermidor soon, if not Coquilles St Jacques, or maybe both. Pretty rich if two in the same meal though…

3 Likes

For me I’m thinking

“American Chop Suey” ( hamburger helper before hamburger helper)
Chicken with Saucy Susan

I don’t want to eat those, but that’s my nostalgia.

I will be back with a picture from the sixties.

2 Likes

Yes to American Chop Suey! Reminds me to make Egg Foo Yung w/gravy, too. What is Saucy Chicken Susan. Not familiar. And don’t forget chicken tetrazzini, and a la King also.

1 Like

Please don’t tell my sibs!

Check out those knees!

Saucy Susan thread on Chowhound

16 Likes

Awww, so dang adorable, and thanks for sharing! Don’t worry, confidentiality assured! :blush:

1 Like

Grandma in her kitchen making brisket or potted chicken. You could smell the onions and garlic from the lobby of her building. And for dessert, for the kids, rainbow cookies (with marzipan) from a wonderful bakery in Astoria (Norgaard’s) and "compartment cake for the adults. Big fold out table in the living room for all to sit at. Grandma’s husband and his great smelling bourbon and pipe. Great times. I don’t have pictures of that though. But I do have old pix which I will have to scan .Thanks, Lambchop. Perfect thread for me right now. My 99 year old dad died a couple of weeks ago and I and I’m quite into memories!

5 Likes

Slow baked potato cholent. Handmade, home-made gefilte fish. Chunks of swordfish purchased at the Barnstable deck direct from the fisherman…Lunch at Lundy’s in Brooklyn. Lunch at Paddy’s Clam House in midtown NYC…

4 Likes

Sympathy and virtual hugs @winecountrygirl.

4 Likes

Thanks, Shrinkwrap!

1 Like

Now that it’s summer I’m thinking about Cape May vacations. Cape May was not trendy back then, so my family of six, an aunt uncle and their four children, and maternal grandparents rented a large house on Jackson Street. Big turkey sandwiches (real turkey, not deli turkey) on the mall at the Ugly Mug. Steak and Shirley Temples with singing waiters at the Lafayette Hotel (always one fancy dinner every stay). Nuts and fudge from the Nut House, enjoyed while playing cards at the house. Big mint chocolate chip ice cream cones (though I forget the name of the ice cream place). And on Sundays, grandpop would go to the bakery across from the church and buy the biggest, stickiest sticky buns.

Good thing we all (except grands) took long bike rides every morning and long walks every evening

5 Likes

@winecountrygirl, I so hope you’re warmed and comforted by wonderful memories of your father, and the many years with which he was gifted. I’m glad this thread is resonating with you, and some others as well.

1 Like

What great memories for you to cherish @gaffk! I practically feel like I’ve been there, due to a previous job, in which the company I worked for had a distribution facility at May’s Landing, nearby. Also SIL (the jewel thief)!! goes there with BIL, every year, so pics usually included on their family Christmas card.

2 Likes

We used to go to Paddy’s when I was a kid. That was some joint.

Amazing success today!! Have been on a quest for the patchouli oil of my misspent youth, and finally found it. Thanks to the good people of Portland, some of whom may have, in fact, never left the 70’s. Heck, I’ve even moved back to the era, and stay for as long as possible. Have to emerge sometimes for kitchen projects and eating. So happy I might post a pic from 1971 a bit later!!

5 Likes

Come to Ashlandia. We might be the essential oil Capitol of the World :earth_americas:
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lol, yes Portlandia first, then Grant’s Pass, Roseburg, Sam’s Valley, Medford, and finally Ashlandia! Have never actually spent any time in the latter at all, just driven past. Also like going down into NoCal to Weaverville, and the Trinity Alps. Funny that Seattle and Portlandia are only 125 miles apart, but have a completely different vibe. Love going down to Oregon!

2 Likes

HS graduation, May 1971. Just 17. Was and still is one of the happiest days of my life!

13 Likes

I want the Cougar!

5 Likes

Haha - 1967, I think; was named car of the year. I didn’t get to drive it to graduation though. I had to drive the gigantic GMC International, which we nicknamed the Blue Goose…however, this disappointment was made up by BFF’s BF, who had a baby blue Jaguar XKE he let us drive. We felt quite special when cruising the strip in it!

2 Likes