Striking the right balance between having a welcoming environment and salty language

I see. I have been to Hooters about 2-3 times. I think ladies there are very nice and professional. Yes, I do agree that they wear tight shirts, but they are not revealing anything. As for being a disgrace…let’s face it. Let’s be very honest here. Yes, Hooters is famous, but Hooters restaurants are nowhere near the worse or disgraceful. There are far worse restaurants than Hooters in regarding to whatever people thinking.

I feel it is a bit like McDonald. Is McDonald food healthy? No. But is McDonald food really the most unhealthy there? Not by a long shot. Many mom and pop restaurants serve far less healthy foods. The only reason we criticize McDonald is because it is famous.

1 Like

And I’d be willing to bet it’s accurate, if what we are talking about is staff at Hooter’s getting larger tips than waitresses in ordinary diners because they are required to dress in a way that thrusts their breasts forward in a display to paying customers.

What’s offending most of you is the “attack” on Hooter’s business model, not the word “tits”

“Anger” wow…as the OP of the thread I certainly didn’t pick up on an angry tone by any means.

The entire purpose of the thread was to explain that for two decades I assumed the restaurant survived based on the ass-ets of its wait staff. I was completely surprised at the above average quality of the few items we tried.

The debate, to put it fairly, was between those who had the same impression as I did prior to my visit. That discussion regardless of what verbiage was used is exactly what this site and all others are suppose to be about.

My apologies HT I realize my response turned into a bit of a rant, not directed at you.

1 Like

Nope. Offended by “shoving tts in people’s faces," same as I would be by "shoving dcks in people’s faces.” Don’t expect to see that on a food thread. I couldn’t care less about Hooters’ business model.

Sorry, the fact that it is so easy to find other establishments demeaning and exploiting women that way doesn’t let Hooters off the hook.

I cannot imagine what would happen if I started a thread here with the subject line : “Let’s talk about Nigella Lawson’s hooters vs. Rachel Ray’s hooters and Julia Childs’ hooters”

The word “hooters” is more derogatory word than “tits” where I come from. I realise this is regional, but hooters, jugs and “a rack” is really locker room talk.

I don’t think the point of this thread is to revive the Hooters argument, so I am going to leave it here. Those of you who think Hooters isn’t demeaning its own staff and women in general are entitled to your opinion. But that disagreement should be kept separate from this discussion of offensive language.

1 Like

This reminds me, Religion is a lot like a d*ck, it’s ok to have one and even to be proud of it. We only have a problem when you decide to take yours out and try to shove it in my face.

2 Likes

With you unless you think I’m trying to shove anything in your face or anyone else’s, which I absolutely am not.

@NotJrvedivici

Nothing about that thread offended me. I am offended by Hooters, always have been, always will be.

I can assure you my post was simply playful and not directed at you.

1 Like

I tend to assume the best, but didn’t want to make an asset of myself. Thank you. Playful is always fine by me and it’s a great quote.

That is true. However, just because a business model is questionable, I am not sure if it is a good idea to ban the discussion of the restaurants themselves. The reason is that there are just so many restaurants which bother people one way or the other. I am sure the following establishments bother many people as well (if not more):

McDonald,
Walmart,
Chick-A-Filet
Starbuck

1 Like

Again, I’m not sure if you just object to the words tits and dick, or are offended that people on a food board would discuss how food is marketed. Hooters isn’t the only business to come up with the idea that using sexual tittilation is a way to attract a fan base.

I don’t think that discussion should have banned! Not at all!

Then please read my replies more carefully. I responded to Chemicalkinetics when he asked and I’m pretty sure I made my point clearly upthread. Thanks.

ETA: Correction, actually I replied directly to you. To reiterate:
Offended by "shoving tts in people’s faces," same as I would be by "shoving dcks in people’s faces." Don’t expect to see that on a food thread. I couldn’t care less about Hooters’ business model.

sorry. You apparently clicked the reply button on my post, so that is the only reason I responded. I thought you were responding to something I wrote.

I was. I misspoke when I said it was a response to Chem. It’s not hard to understand that “shoving (anything) in people’s faces” isn’t something we need to state here, right? No one is shoving body parts anywhere in a restaurant, that’s my point. If people dress provocatively, that’s one thing. If people object to it, it’s another. I have no issue with any of that. To tell the truth, I’m growing rather weary of discussing this. Would just like us to be civil. Not a lot to ask, I would think, especially in a public forum about food.

I’m sorry but your use of the term “tittilation” in this discussion just made me actually laugh out loud. (No I’m not actually 12 years old, but I do enjoy laughing like one)

Thanks for taking a moment to clarify.

I think Nigella Lawson puts her breasts on display to push an agenda and mislead people about food. I hope to someday discuss this on Hungry Onion, and I would also like to be able to discuss restaurants that use breasts, sex or other emotional pulls to sell people bad food. I would also like to be able to discuss this on Hungry Onion. It sounds to me like you would be very offended if I talk about this in the way people normally would talk about this, or even talk about this at all on a “food” board. But I think the site is already set up to be more than what I ate for dinner and whose got a recipe or restaurant recommendations.

{ETA: It’s okay with me that we disagree, sincerely - but I definitely disagree with you that Hooters isn’t shoving body parts.)

3 Likes

Nope. You read me wrong. Feel free to start a thread to discuss if you wish. If others are offended by it, I’m sure you’ll hear about it. But not from me.

Perhaps I am taking the “shoving” comment too literally. There’s a difference between putting your wares on display more prominently (low-cut, tight-fitting, cleavage club) than literally shoving anything in a customer’s face. Maybe now my point of view is clearer. I hope so. And, hey, we didn’t get deleted or flagged talking about it. Good for us!

If the model is questionable, is that not all the more reason why we should discuss it.

By the by, just to suggest that this is not an issue confined to an American chain, let me tell a brief story. A year or so back, we went for lunch in a little pizzeria in Bardolino, northern Italy. All of the serving staff were young women who were, lets say, amply endowed in the chest department and also wearing very short skirts. I shall be honest and say, yes, I thought them attractive. Now, of course, it may be entirely co-incidental that it was very busy with local young men, unlike other similar places along the street.

1 Like