still looking for blood orange close to boston…

as i typed in the title, i realized that i had asked exactly the same question last year. the only ones i found the are a raspberry orange variety at trader joe’s, which were just okay.

in addition to trader joe’s, i’ve checked at somerville market basket. don’t have a car, so hoping for something close to the T.

1 Like

Several Whole Foods stores usually but don’t always carry them. You’d have to call the individual stores or if you are an Amazon Prime member you could check to see if WF would deliver to you.
I am a Mercato member and see that the Mercato site says Eataly has them for delivery. The inventory online is usually but not always correct so again you’d have to call to be sure. Eataly is surprisingly affordable on some items so might be worth checking out for you to get stuff beyond blood oranges. Last year this time Eataly had great specialty citrus including things like sweet lemons that were very reasonably priced. Not so much this year as far as I can tell but always blood oranges have been at least listed as available.
I haven’t been to Arax in Watertown for years but they used to have all kinds of citrus including blood oranges, sour oranges, sweet lemons, etc.
I think Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge usually has them but it is a pricey market there and I only go a couple of times a year.
I hate Stop and Shop in general but I have stepped in from time to time to find passion fruit and it’s possible the one in Somerville near Assembly has blood oranges. Going around by T to check various stores in this cold is brutal so I hoping calling might help.
I was an hour ago at WF River St Cambridge and didn’t see blood oranges, but I also wasn’t looking for them.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Not a helpful post I know … but this post reminds me how I miss Russo’s every day :disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

Wegman’s has them online, for $1.99 each. Which seems high but I know they have delivery if that works?

thanks for the info.

Hi-Rise, like a lot of other places over this prolonged pandemic, sells things besides their specialty. They have a good produce selection, generally of good quality. Their blood oranges are 3 for $4. You order online and pick up at the door, and I appreciate their attention to safety. They’re not on the T, but a short bus ride from Harvard Square.

3 Likes

Check the Wegmans in Medford. The Burlington store had them just a few weeks ago.

This year, I noticed blood oranges are also labeled raspberry oranges. I looked them up to see if they are actually different but it turns out they are the same ‘enough’

I have picked them up at Idlewild Farms West Acton the last two times (last 2 weeks)

6 Likes

finally found moros @ somerville market basket.$1.99/pound.

4 Likes

Yay! Gonna look for those blood oranges on my next visit to an MB nearer to me. (Littleton store has been my go-to.)

I just saw them at the brand new Cafe Vanak Market on Trapelo Road in Belmont. For people ‘in the know’ about Persian food, I’m sure this place is a treasure. The owner does not speak English but an eager young shop clerk will happily tell you what he knows. The shop was gearing up for Persian New Year so getting in lots of goodies. It’s worth a trip to browse and shop to your heart’s delight.

3 Likes

I believe it’s a husband and wife ownership, I have not spoken to the husband, but the wife speaks very good English. Super Vanak is a total gold mine of sundries! It’s amazing what a fairly complete curation of foods they have in there. I call it a mini super market, little bodega or ethnic market this is not!

2 Likes

I’ve been buying them by the bag at Market Basket for a month or so. They seem particularly good this year, and relatively inexpensive.

4 Likes