South Bay Takeout [LA and SoCal]

Thanks for convincing me to post on here @Chowseeker1999 and @ipsedixit. Happy to see you both again. :grin:

Ever since the pandemic started I’ve been getting takeout only, regardless of whether outdoor dining was allowed or not. Since I live in Torrance, I’ve stuck to picking up food in the South Bay and sometimes Long Beach. I’ve also mostly been supporting BIPOC owned restaurants and only small chains/chainlets (but those are things I was doing pre-pandemic as well). I figured I’d make a South Bay takeout thread in case anyone wanted suggestions in this area. I’m not really good with words, like @Chowseeker1999 and others are, so I’ll be sticking to photos.

Mia’s Kitchen in Manhattan Beach:

Geera Pork & Vegetable Fried Rice

Curry Goat Roti

Doubles

Aunty Maile’s Hawaiian Food in Torrance (both Normandie Ave. and Crenshaw Blvd. locations):

Furikake Shrimp, Galbi, & Mac Salad

Furikake Chicken, Teriyaki Beef, & Mac Salad:

Zam Zam Market in Hawthorne:

Lamb Biriyani

Miyabi Uni in Torrance:

Uni Hokkaido Donburi (uni, salmon, ikura, scallops, tamagoyaki)

Saffron Food Mart in Torrance:

Lamb Shank with Shevid Polo

Wadatsumi in Torrance:

Wagyu Roast Beef Bowl

Deluxe Sashimi Plate

Chirashi Bowl

Pepe’s Red Tacos (Harbor City truck):

Huesi/Tuétano Taco

Panelas Brazilian in Redondo Beach:

BBQ Plate (picanha, chicken, sausage, potato salad, farofa, rice)

Coxinha & Bolinho de Bacalhau

Southern Spice in Lawndale:

Mutton (goat) Sukka & Jeera Pulao

Yukdaejang in Gardena:

Seafood Yukgaejang

Original Yukgaejang

Spoon House in Gardena:

Tarako & Shimeji Mushroom Spaghetti in Butter Sauce

Offset Coffee in Torrance:

Nova Lox Toast

Egg Salad Toast

Inaba in Torrance:

Tempura (shrimp, shishito pepper, eggplant, kabocha)

Chicken Misoyaki

Tacos El Goloso in Torrance:

Tacos Dorados De Birria De Res

Kagura (Torrance and Gardena locations):

Black Pork Fillet Katsu & Kani Cream Korokke Bento

Millefeuille Black Pork Katsu Bento

Chicken Katsu Curry

Gindara Saikyoyaki

Mentaiko Pasta

Little Coyote in Long Beach:

Pepperoni & Jalapeño Pizza

Ruiji Sichuan in Lomita:

Toothpick Lamb

Chonqing Chicken/Sichuan Popcorn Chicken

Marlin’s Seafood Burrito in Lomita:

Shrimp Burrito

Shrimp Tacos

Neno’s Norooz Persian in Wilmington:

Beef Soltani (koobideh & barg) Plate

Chicken Kebab Plate

Bluesalt Fish Grill in Torrance:

Peri Peri Prawns with Rosemary Garlic Potatoes and Broccolini

Ok, I think that’s enough for now. :sweat_smile: I have a lot more to add if anyone is interested.

15 Likes

What a first post!

If there is a such a thing as “first post mic drop” this would be it.

tenor-74733374

6 Likes

Great post and list of South Bay restaurants. A few of them I have never tried, going to have to do it.

Wow!!! :drooling_face:

I’ve missed seeing your posts @thechez5.

There’s a Pepe’s Red Taco truck on Olympic in East L.A. Love that bone marrow taco and their consommé! :heart:

I live on the right coast (Boston) but you people make me want to live on the left coast.

3 Likes

Lol… grass is always greener on the other coast, so to speak. We only have one restaurant in L.A. (Connie & Ted’s) that serves good New England-style food. Even then the big belly clams are only big-ish belly clams.

2 Likes

Hi @thechez5!

Welcome to Hungry Onion! :blush: So good to have an OG Hound back on our new board (along with @ipsedixit @Porthos @ElsieDee and others). :slight_smile:

Fantastic post on the South Bay! Wow. :open_mouth: You can (and should) feel free to make separate threads on your favorite restaurants and post more dishes you got from them if you want.

How’s Mia’s Kitchen’s Curry Goat? Really spicy? Just curious. It looks so good. :blush:

And Saffron Food Mart’s Lamb Shank with Shevid Polo looks delicious as well! Have you had the Lamb Shank with Baghali Polo at various places around Tehrangeles (near UCLA)? (Like Shamshiri Grill, Shaherzad, etc.) Just curious how it compares to those places.

And lastly, you give me too much credit, your OG posts on Chowhound were always insightful and helpful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@thechez5, so glad to see you posting again!!!

All the food looks delicious (esp the Japanese mushroom pasta). Would def enjoy seeing more. And I think your words are fine, too (I think you were the one who said that a burning a$$ after spicy food reminds some people of home… heh).

2 Likes

Awesome post! I had Inaba yesterday and their kakiage and soba was top tier. Glad to see South Bay getting some attention.

Also, love that beef bowl and the epic rice at Wadatsumi, one of my favorite takeout options these days.

1 Like

To add:

Ali’s Fish Company in El Segundo has my favorite poke so far. The tuna quality is just so luscious, I guess have the tuna brought in from Hawaii regularly. Really enjoy their onion limu ahi poke. The seaweed salad is also great, not too sweet.

Also, the ahi katsu burger is so good. Take it to the park around the corner and eat it fresh, I they really crisp up the potato bun nicely and the wasabi is just the bees knees.

7 Likes

To add:

La Espanola Meat Market “Paella Saturday’s”

Preorder to reserve your paella.

House Paella and Seafood Paella are delectable.

And one of my favorite sandwiches in Los Angeles right now is the House Bocata which includes Serrano ham, manchego cheese and piquillo peppers. I ordered a hyped sandwich for $17 last week and this House Bocato destroyed it in terms of flavor and craveability.

8 Likes

Couldn’t agree more!!

5 Likes

That looks great @A5KOBE. I keep forgetting to drive over there. Thanks for the reminder. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice spread! That meat and cheese plate is looking mighty tasty right about now, making want to go back ASAP.

1 Like

And the charcuterie plate is so reasonably priced! The sandwiches are also a steal there.

2 Likes

They have saba toro right now and it is spectacular!

@Chowseeker1999 @thechez5

It just looks like saba sashimi but it eats like the smoothest, luscious mackerel ever. Saba must be peaking right now because this the highlight of my meal.

6 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Oh my goodness! :open_mouth: Thanks for the info, it looks and sounds delicious. :slight_smile:

Yes, truly amazing stuff to go along with their usual awesomeness and great sake drinking food. Also had some tempura eel and raw wasabi octopus which was really enjoyable, along with an ume rice ball because I have to have something with their excellent rice!

The sake list is not great, but perhaps BYO.

1 Like