Soup ideas for cold, rainy weather (non-vegetarian)

@Phoenikia & @GretchenS, It is and it’s my favorite soup, it’s WFD tonight.

1 Like

I cannot wait to make it. Do you garnish at all? The pictures in the link show cilantro leaves and radish slices, was thinking maybe chopped scallion as well.

1 Like

No I don’t garnish, shame on me. I will add cilantro tonight and I’m having avocado toast and radishes with.

1 Like

oh YUM, avocado toast with radishes sounds perfect, what time is dinner?? :wink:

1 Like

Sixish.

deck%20mat%20JPG

3 Likes

LOL, happy to!

1 Like

I’ll have to try this it sounds great

1 Like

OK you all inspired me to make my kielbasa, cabbage and potato soup for dinner tonight (perfect for the snow/sleet/rain/freezing rain weather we are having). Pardon crappy iPhone photos.

3 Likes

Recipe:

DON’T FORGET TO BLOOM SPICES
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large garlic, half minced, half sliced as thinly as possible
fat of choice
1 T paprika
pinch ground coriander
pinch allspice
pinch Aleppo, Maras or Urfa pepper (or more)
4 to 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup chopped tomatoes (Pomi)
salt
12 to 16 oz fingerlings, sliced into coins
1/2 small green cabbage, chopped (or more; **DO NOT SKIMP)
some kale is good too
12 to 16 oz kielbasa, sliced into half moons
sour cream
fresh dill, chopped, or dill pollen

Sauté onion in fat of choice until soft, add minced garlic, sauté till fragrant, add paprika, coriander, allspice and pepper flakes and stir well.

Add chicken broth, tomatoes and sliced garlic, cover and bring to a simmer. Add some salt but not too much.

Add potatoes and simmer 10 minutes.

Add cabbage and kielbasa and simmer another 10 minutes.

Taste and adjust seasonings. It may need more salt and/or spices. You could add a hit of hot paprika.

Serve topped with a spoonful of sour cream. Great with a sprinkle of chopped fresh dill or a sprinkle of dill pollen if there is any.

Notes: admonitions are to myself because I have not followed directions at some point. Kinda weird recipe (no mirepoix) because I made it originally to use up what I had that needed using up and liked it so much I won’t change it and now buy the ingredients to make it. It certainly benefits from fancy kielbasa from the Polish market which I had today but it is also great with supermarket kielbasa. Sometime I am going to add some sauerkraut to it.

3 Likes

An atypical borscht made with chicken.

1 Like

I’m making potato-leek soup using leftover baked potatoes from an event at mom’s church. I don’t know how this is gonna come out given the vintage nature of the potatoes, but we shall see. Felt like not wasting them!

1 Like

Update: delicious.

3 Likes

I’ve been turning leftover baked potatoes into gratins and potato salad lately!

1 Like

When we make potato leek soup, my wife likes to put a package of hillshite little smokies in it.

1 Like