Soup ideas for cold, rainy weather (non-vegetarian)

It was 17 degrees this morning when I took the dog to the dog park. Warmed up a bit since then but even so - it’s Minestrone tonight.

Last night’s (frigid New England) supper was grilled cheese with bacon, on rye, and on a whim, I opened a can of tomato soup that’s been on the “power failure rations” shelf for years. I’d forgotten how good cream of tomato can be. IMO, tomato soup is the only canned soup that doesn’t require lots of tinkering to make it palatable. I make lots of legume soups in cold weather; in fact, there’s a container of ham & lentil soup at the back of the fridge that needs finishing this week.

Potato leek with Andouille Sausage tonight. I had a ton of leeks during the summer so I sweated a bunch of them & froze them in packages. They were just as good as the ones I used the same day I sweated them.

1 Like

Carrot ginger
Cream of celery
Lentil
Sweet potato
Veg and rice
New England clam chowder
…and of course chicken noodle…and many variations of chicken soup

2 Likes

Loaded baked potato soup
Stuffed pepper soup
Csorba
Goulash soup
Tortilla soup
Lasagna soup
French Onion Soup
Clam chowder
Scandinavian fish chowder with dill

2 Likes

Bean and bacon soup (copycat Campbell’s but with rich ham stock)
Wild rice soup
Split pea soup with kielbasa or andouille
Kielbasa, cabbage and potato soup - so good with some sour cream and dill
Lentil soups with every type of lentil, here is a very tasty one
Various minestrones

Curious about the loaded baked potato soup @Phoenikia

2 Likes

Carrot ginger for lunch.

1 Like

This is the basic idea, @GretchenS . :slight_smile: You could top any cream of potato /potato soup with bacon, shredded cheese, sour cream and chives, and call it a loaded baked potato soup.

2 Likes

This is the Csorba I made. It is a Romanian pork meatball soup. I plan to make it again soon.

2 Likes

I make a great Butternut Squash and Goats Cheese Soup, which I suppose is technically vegetarian but you could always add some fried bacon lardons at the end for extra flavour and texture http://welshwhiskings-co-uk.stackstaging.com/recipes/butternut-squash-and-goats-cheese-soup/

4 Likes

Welcome @welshwhiskings! And thanks for the link.

3 Likes

That Csorba looks amazing. Do you really add the rice uncooked and does it cook through in the relatively short time she has you cook the meatballs?

I probably cooked the soup 15 minutes, but yes, I used the raw rice.

1 Like

This is a recipe for Youvarlakia,
a Greek egg lemon soup (same word for the meatballs with an egg lemon sauce) that also has rice & meat meatballs.
https://www.marilenaskitchen.com/2017/01/31/greek-meatball-soup/

3 Likes

Pasta Fagiola
Potato Leek

3 Likes

I used to always get tortilla soup the first time trying any new Mexican place.
A good indicator for how the rest of the food would unfold.
Haven’t been doing this lately. I think it means additional Mexican joints should be on the to do list.

3 Likes

I used turkey & chorizo and added a packet of Sazon.

7 Likes

That looks amazing @BeefeaterRocks

This looks like a good bacon, leek, potato & lentil soup.

2 Likes

That looks delicious!