RIP Chowhound

We’re not a bunch of pikers here.
Jeez Louise :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s supposed to be a large welcome mat not a tit for tat let’s redecorate the rec room.

Grabbing a beer, have a great weekend my friend.

5 Likes

Assuming you’re the Claus from Copenhagen who posted on CH, I’m sure you will. Another European is a good addition to our numbers.

5 Likes

Lauriston use to post a lot on the SF Bay Area board. He knows stuff but he tried to dominate everything. I figured he use to for writers block as a tech writing, or he can’t stop writing and can’t let things breath. I get he might need to pump the PR for FTC for business sake and hope FTC survives because more information and platforms are good. Just don’t appreciate that kind of intensity.

7 Likes

There is a scene in a Clint Eastwood movie that I can not remember the name of, where Clint’s character goes off on a colleague for ordering a hot dog with ketchup. I never had an opinion one way or the other prior to seeing the movie but by G**, the 16 year old me was not going to go against CLINT and order a dog with ketchup!
I am not sure if that is the only reason but now I will take dogs with mustard, onion, relish, sport peppers, chili, a wide variety of toppings…
But not ketchup.
Side note, Clint visited my home town in Montana when he was filming the Firefox Down scene set on the iceberg. He was a gentleman and charmed everyone he met. Other than the “ketchup on hot dogs” mania his character displayed he seems like a good guy! LOL!

5 Likes

I couldn’t remember which Dirty Harry movie, but I remembered that scene.

6 Likes

That sounds good!

I’m on his website. It’s for Los Angeles. If you want to go there great information. Other than that he runs over every post as a know it all . Like the kid who would take his ball home to end the game . And I wish he would stop posting his half eaten food on what’s cooking. That is super gross.

6 Likes

Hello everyone,
I agree that most people do not like to be corrected.
However, if I’m writting 3 Tablespoons instead of 3 Teaspoons then I would want someone to correct that.
I was grateful that Harters corrected me on calling a spice blend a spice because one reading along may need to know that they can make that on their own.
I’m new here but if I know someone is going to add an ingredient that is going to absolutely destroy a dish then I’ll say something. Because that could be a lot of $$$ going into the compost bin.
Olunia

18 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

On my mind as our increased activity continues.

4 Likes

oh man, didn’t think it would just fade away (though can’t say I’ve been on CH since the big move). I do hope they’re able to save and archive some of the topics. It was always a fun dive reading some of those topics and the little worm hole they give.

I really enjoyed the topics and posts by K K (think he’s mostly on FTC) and I recall the interesting topics by Charles regarding Toronto.

4 Likes

I am.

I’ll try my best to stay civil, but Kaleo can make my face red very fast.

Cheers, Claus

3 Likes

@Olunia, nice to see you here! Welcome!

1 Like

Thanks for your post saregama it is very much appreciated.
There is a lot of information to sift through learning to navigate this site.
Olunia

5 Likes

Claus,
I’m glad that you decided to join. I have learned so much from you and enjoy reading your posts.
Thank you!
Olunia

2 Likes

The Paris board on Chowhound was the gold standard. I really hope those posters come to HO. Chowhound (and Fodor’s) introduced me to the joys of message boards and the great exchange of information that can be accessed.

8 Likes

My girlfriend sent me a link to the NYT story this morning; I haven’t had time to read it yet (rehearsal and performance this afternoon, then practicing for tomorrow afternoon’s rehearsal, etc.). I think I started reading and posting on Chowhound in 1997, after reading a story about them in the New Yorker. The interface was never good, but there was a lot of valuable information about cheap eats. I later gravitated toward eGullet, which had a better interface and covered higher-end food and drink more but covered the lower end that I usually patronize less and never had as large a community as Chowhound did in those days, but I learned a lot from my years there (I still look at their forums now and then). Chowhound remained valuable for years. I used it to good effect on trips to L.A., London, Honolulu, Denver, etc. I stopped going there after Big Dog sold out and the content and interface became intolerable to me. I felt like online food discussion became much more atomized after that, and I’ve been reading and posting on food boards less and referring to inconsistent and very questionably trustworthy sources of information like Yelp, but this site has value, and I welcome those of you arriving from Chowhound. I hope you stick around and provide useful information about the restaurants, products and recipes you like. A community of somewhat like-minded people for whom deliciousness is the touchstone remains valuable.

11 Likes

Hi everyone. I just moved over here from Chowhound, where I mostly frequented the cookware forum since 2020 after accidentally happening across CH durid covid shutdown that spring. I mostly read but occasionally post. I learned a lot from Claus, timirvine, kaleo, and vfish, to name just a few. Happy to see Claus is already here. Hopefully other CHers will join this site as well.

17 Likes

Grab your torches and pitchforks! :rage: