RIP Chowhound

Yo moma’s meatballs are so tough Tiger Woods scored a birdie with one!!
( I saw on the news TIger got admitted to Golf HOF this morning, lol)

3 Likes
2 Likes

Good one. Here is a “gift” link, in case a paywall is a problem.

Chowhound Closes After 25 Years of Food Obsession, Wisdom and Debate

5 Likes

Wait - who the hell is “Red Ventures”? Ohhh…looks like they acquired CNET Media from ViacomCBS in 2020.

Red Ventures is an American media company and is the owner of Lonely Planet, CNET, ZDNet, TV Guide, Metacritic, GameSpot, GameFAQs, Giant Bomb, The Points Guy, and Chowhound since October 30, 2020; as well as Healthline Media since 2019 and Bankrate since 2017.

1 Like

While reading through bread recipes, I saw Food52 had written an article.

Perhaps another place to post about HO in the comment section?

7 Likes

Looks like much of what used to be Sumner Redstone’s media empire

2 Likes

I’m with you, Harters. I’ve been posting in both places for about 7 years and very much hope to see some Chowhound friends here, but others–not so much.

I expect to be much more active here soon.

6 Likes

Hey Ray,

I’ll try my luck here and a see if I can get off to a good start.

7 Likes

I think there are enough posts floating around right now, directing people towards HO.

I’m also surprised, how a Chowhound member will post “Oh no! What will I do? Should I set up a forum myself?” , in the same Chowhound thread where 3 dozen people have already mentioned and/or included a link to HO or FTC. :rofl:

Posting more pointers about HO at this point, isn’t going to help attract more posters.

I noticed eGullet and FTC members are doing the same thing. In one CH Post, I tell a Chowhound, join both FTC and HO, float back and forth, figure out what works for you. Lauriston replies to me with a comment about why FTC is better than HO.
Is this a pissing contest thing? :joy_cat:

I was being nice , and maybe transparent, mentioning his baby, and he can’t resist the opportunity to mention his baby is better than someone else’s baby.

I have been a member of Chowhound, eGullet, HO and FTC.

It’s the personalities and discussion that keep me active on a forum.

I’d let word of mouth do its thing , rather than having many people post comments about HO.

Some comments under the NYT article come across as trying too hard, IMO.

7 Likes

I guess HOers need a cash course on how to spam subtlety. :rofl:

6 Likes

At least Food52 is a food related space. I am so surprised by the way in which welcoming people to HO has become hyper focused. It feels like a sales pitch. So, I will stop offering suggestions when a handful of people familiar w Chowhound already have.

5 Likes

I agree :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

What’s the rush? I really don’t follow the hard jockeying. Or the rush to recreate anything on HO. You join, you ask questions, you learn. Like we all have.

Volunteers, bless you.

10 Likes

Fantastic!

Ray

1 Like

In fairness, and looking at this from a business perspective……. FTC seems to have far less traffic than HO and also doesn’t seem to be attracting anywhere near the same amount of migration from CH. That is likely because FTC has developed much narrower focus (heavy in CA and NJ), but I’d be very surprised if it was meeting whatever goals Robert has for it prior to the CH announcement. Facing further shortfall vs HO now, he’s likely feeling the need to be more aggressive in pointing out what he sees as his competitive advantages. Just my 2¢.

6 Likes

NJ? Really? When I went there to see what they had to say about things the NJ board had 6-10 total threads? Did I miss something?

1 Like

Slab my thigh, why in the world does anyone need to be aggressive over participating in a food forum? Mind boggling.

5 Likes

Ketchup on a hotdog? :smiling_imp: But yeah totally agree

2 Likes

Ha! Do as you must on a dog! I’m not entering that arena.

1 Like

I posted on CH for 15 or so years and really miss what it used to the be on the DC Metro area board. I was new to CH when someone started a thread on the differences between a Philly Cheese Steak and a DC Steak and Cheese sandwich and I was so relieved to find out that there were other people out there who liked their steak and cheese with lettuce, tomato, mushrooms and a touch of mayo!
Not that there is anything wrong with a cheese steak! LOL!
But then some of the elder statesman began to really go into the history of the development of the two different sandwich types which was strangely fascinating.
A couple months later a similar education awaited me on the subject of half smokes.
When CH was good, it was really good.
But, as everyone before me has noted, the vast majority of the knowledgeable posters left CH years ago.

12 Likes