RIP Chowhound

A chowhound poster I always read was “mamachef”. Her tales of being a cook for a college fraternity (or was it a boarding school?) were great.

3 Likes

I liked her posts as well. I think she was widowed unexpectedly and stopped posting after that, which is sad.

1 Like

Ah, I thought it was med issues of her own, Was bummed when she stopped.

I loved mamachef (yes, it was a frat for which she cooked). I especially recall her sad cafe thread; but she was so helpful and kind on a myriad of topics. She and I exchanged e-mails for a while, but it sadly wound down. She made a brief appearance on HO using a different screen name.

I know she lost a son and suffered a fire. I wasn’t aware she had been widowed as well. I wonder if I should try reaching out to her after all these years?

3 Likes

I threw in the (work) towel for today. I had never come across MamaChef on Chowhound so I had to look. Here is her blog which doesn’t look updated. Mamachef blog. Sounds like she’s had some major challenges in her life.

1 Like

I think I remember reading Mamachef passed away a few years ago, after her son died.
She was active on HO when it began https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10205407557612472&id=1355572006
Here was marci’s introduction on HO.
Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better - #195 by marci

7 Likes

That sad story about mamachef makes me appreciate the utility of a place like CH or HO. We’ve had discussions here on HO about food forums, and how we are dinosaurs but if a place like this keeps dinosaurs like mamachef going even for a short while, then sign me up. It keeps this dinosaur happy.

9 Likes

Ahhh, I had forgotten mamachef was Marci! And yes, I believe I remember hearing about her passing as well.

3 Likes

Mamachef was a fine writer and excellent poster, and had a great deal of adversity in her life, even after her son died. RIP mamachef!

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about Marci She passed in November, 2018 when she was only 56. She was such a wonderful writer who unfortunately experienced more than her fair share of adversity.

8 Likes

@digga I miss you !! What a wonderful part of my day it was to see your note. Had to reset multiple passwords for old lost accounts to get in here but well worth the trip down memory road with you and many more of our tribe. Makes me so happy to think of the friendships made from that era. Skimming all the comments I’ve gotta think somebody has by now proposed a throwback get together at a venue like Taiwan Cafe. I am a terrible planner but I can promise you I will twist Joanie’s arm to make it to such an event. :grinning:

Thank you digga and everybody for sharing the fine times.

7 Likes

Completely possibly that I remember wrong.

Yes, I unfortunately found her obit after my e-mail to her bounced. I was hoping she had just changed e-mail accounts, but when I searched her I found the sad news.

:sob:

5 Likes

Thanks for the link. I must’ve only sort of remembered what happened, since it seems as if she wasn’t even married at the time of her death

We get the print version of the Boston Globe delivered at 0530 every morning at the end of our driveway in Eastham on the outer Cape. DH cannot live without his sports section. I did not read today’s food, but always look forward to it so that’s for tomorrow during the rainstorm. I miss the old Globe.

3 Likes

This makes me so sad. I exchanged emails with her too and really liked her.

There were some amazing posters who have passed…Sam and his magic house, FoodFuser and his poems, grouchy Veggo…

Also reminded of ospreycove and IndianRiverFL (Dale, iirc) and DuffyH, all of whom were active Florida posters but who have disappeared into the intarwebs.

5 Likes

Some names I remember fondly/ I remember Veggo was the first to welcome me to the CH community all those years ago.

5 Likes

Moh was another poster who left a legacy. I think she had become sick around the time I visited Winnipeg.

1 Like

Ahhh, fond memories of all three. Sam’s Magic House thread will live on forever.

4 Likes

I LOVED the article - does anyone know her poster name?