Recommended pizza spots in Toronto GTA

One of you loves Eataly pizza, one of you doesn’t. Compare and contrast notes.

I always say the crust makes the pizza, but that Piccolo Piano Pizzeria pic is Way too much crust for this girl. Makes me yearn for the flour shortages of yore.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it yet.

I think it’s a Your Mileage May Vary, so he’ll note my preference and I’ll note his, and we will focus on helping each other find other stuff we both might like. :slight_smile:

I have less interesest in explaining my preference or reading other people’s explanations of their preferences lately .

Had 2 bad meals at Caffe Nervosa maybe 10 years ago (undercooked salmon and stale pine nuts in a salad), so haven’t been tempted to go back, when there are so many places to try, so I’ll probably never try their pizza.

Oh, if we’re gonna do a not-really-pizza, but I like it category, I’ll toss in Mamajoun Armenian Pizza on Ellesmere west of Warden. Can’t believe I didn’t mention them in the first place. Everything from scratch and chef is a super-sweet, hard-working guy.

1 Like

Absolutely include non traditional pizzas, pides, lahmacun, etc .

This is a fun thread
Non-Italian pizza

Or “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Pizza”

1 Like

Has anyone here tried Slowhand Sourdough Pizza? I have a friend who swears by it. I gotta admit, the website pics (which I still can’t post) look pretty tempting.

DJ, may I call you DJ, for the pizzas that didn’t travel well, have you tried ordering them half-baked and finishing them at home?

Call me whatever is easiest to type!

We did not try ordering half-baked as we have no large oven to finish the job. Our oven broke down early in the pandemic and apparently the necessary part is not manufactured anymore. We do eventually plan to reno the kitchen and get a new range and oven at that point, so we have been making do with our toaster oven, which can bake/roast most of our needs (but not a larger pizza).

As one of the ones who liked the Eataly pizza we had, it had a fairly thick, chewy, and tasty crust. I have no problem eating lots of good crust. The toppings were a nice combo of pear, gorgonzola, proscuitto, and pecorino - all seemed to be good quality ingredients with plenty of flavour.

1 Like

Do you have a bbq and a pizza stone? You’re welcome.

1 Like

We do have a large pizza stone… and a small BBQ, so I will have to see if it can fit. Good thought - hadn’t occurred to me.

1 Like

I tried the Blondies today hmm didn’t enjoy it much.
Pizza was very fresh that’s why I guess initial impression was decent

1 Like

Sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy it much.

https://www.fratellis.ca/our-menu.html

Anabolic Eats She’s So Iberica pizza

3 Likes

Picked up a whole pizza from Badiali this time but had to order before noon. Quick tip one can bypass the lineups if preorder. Lineup were quite long even for an off peak hour.

4 Likes

Now I remember why I’ve never tried Blondie’s despite going by its Dundas location many, many times. Every picture looks exactly as you describe, Doc. Overcooked. Burnt pepperoni, dried browned cheese, black crusts. Pizza is supposed to be lightly charred, not immolated.

1 Like

Tried pizza e pazzi today. Delivery took way longer. Decent I think more at libretto level

2 Likes

Had a couple of really good pizzas last week at Mattachioni on Gerrard. Recommend!

3 Likes

Which pizzas did you try?

I love Mattachioni’s bread and sandwiches.

1 Like