Philadelphia help?

I posted this on the Phila board, but it’s pretty quiet over there, so I’m turning to my NJ HOs…

(And yes, I’m hoping to at least get lunch at Abe Fisher and/or Dizengoff, but Zahav isn’t happening this trip)

2 Likes

I’d go here.
https://thedandelionpub.com/

1 Like

Thank you! I would too, except this is where it’s an issue… He really wants a fairly simple half roasted chicken or turkey dinner, nothing wild because he’s got sensitive stomach in general, so of course he’s uber careful in terms of what he eats the night before a marathon. That’s why a diner would be perfect. But keep them coming!

Early dinner at Ma Lessie’s at Reading Terminal Market? Great baked chicken for him and even better fried chicken and waffles for you!

2 Likes

There we go…! Exactly the kind of BALANCE we need! Will definitely hit RTM but it hadn’t occurred to me that anything was open for dinner. Will check it out. TY!

1 Like

Lol easy tiger. I mentioned EARLY dinner. I think they close at 6, but you should check.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been on the RTM site. Have to see if our hotel has a microwave in it (I don’t think so), but if nothing else, there are a couple of options in there for him. Would still love a restaurant where we can sit down around 7…

Parc in Rittenhouse? They have roast chicken and more options for you.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll definitely check it out.

The Melrose Diner is or was the most famous diner in Philly but I haven’t been there in years

1 Like

Just to bring this full circle…
Lunch at RTM yesterday worked out great because we were each able to choose what we wanted! For me that meant Dinic’s roast pork/broccoli rabe sandwich, And he had a ham and cheese sandwich from Hatville Deli.
Dinner was less than exciting, but I had to concede that I’ll cabs he was running a marathon the next morning, so we need to eat whatever he could eat. That meant a walk over to Whole Foods for a rotisserie chicken and a bunch of vegetables from their hot and cold salad bars. Totally acceptable, but of course nothing exciting.
Today after seeing him at the 10 K mark, I was able to pop in to Federal Donuts so we could try those later in the day. Next time, Zahav!
Then I had a fantastic idea for lunch on the way home… Mastori’s! I’m sorry to say that it was a disappointment in every way except for the cheese bread and cinnamon roll we were served at the start of the meal.

7 Likes

Thanks for the Mastori’s update I have been jonesing for their cheese bread & nothing else.

2 Likes

For future reference, you were minutes from downtown Bordentown which has quite a few worthwhile places to stop for lunch/dinner. I haven’t been to Mastori’s in at least 10 yrs, but every report I’ve heard has been negative.

Sure…NOW you tell me!!
The truth is that it was probably a good thing that I saw it for myself. That was one of our regular family stops when going to see my grandparents in Pennsauken and then Cherry Hill when I was a kid; now I don’t have to wonder if it’s still as good as I remembered. SIGH.

1 Like

Without hammering them any more, I do have to say that the funniest (?) part was when I looked at their website and it strongly encouraged me to make a reservation. So I did. Of course when we arrived I realized it was unnecessary, but told the host (the most professional person we dealt with) that I had done so because it was on their site. His response? “I didn’t even know it was on there.” When I got the “sorry you didn’t make it to your reservation” email from OpenTable, I let them know too. :roll_eyes:

1 Like