Oakland news and notes 2018

on July 2, when Belcampo opens its serious new retail flagship with a large butcher shop, full-service restaurant, and bar in Jack London Square. There’s room for 230 diners at the 7,000-square-foot space (including 100 seats on the patio) at 55 Webster Street, where brunch, lunch, and dinner will be served.

Nitoto and Prestianni will launch the new business on Friday, July 13, from 5 to 9 p.m. at Crooked City Cider/Two Mile Wines (477 25th St., Oakland).

Oakland Produce Market -Jackfruit, papaya, mango, asparagus, avocado, white boiler onion

near the corner of Franklin and 3rd Streets

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Huangcheng Noodle house (Oakland Chinatown)

Farmhouse Kitchen Thai now has a second branch in JLS.

Photo, above: Photo by Drew Costley
The crawfish are larger and meatier than you might expect.

excerpt:

Queen’s Cajun fries items exceptionally well. The fried alligator reminded me of Taiwanese popcorn chicken but pleasantly chewier and dusted in Cajun seasoning. The light, scallion-topped gravy on the side deftly straddled the American South with Saigon. While fried catfish is a staple on local Viet-Cajun menus, I haven’t encountered a version as crunchy as the slabs of golden fish at Queen’s. The chef uses a coarse, stone-ground cornmeal that stuck to my fingers, protecting perfectly flaky flesh inside. Even as the fish sat and cooled, it retained that crunch until the last bite. The fried shrimp — crispy and juicy — impressed as well.

Queen’s Cajun Seafood
2211 International Blvd., Oakland
510-328-1458
Hours: Wed.–Sun. 2–10 p.m.
Cash, all major credit cards

1 Like

excerpt:

Because the lamb was so good, I knew I had to try the goat karahi special ($8.99). Karahi is a stew that’s popular in Pakistan, India and Afghanistan. It’s named after the round metal pot used to cook the dish, and is often made with chicken, lamb or goat. At Al-Maida, the dish is served with a plate of basmati rice or naan and a red cabbage and onion salad.

Photo, above: The goat karahi with basmati rice and side salad. Photo: Sarah Han

Al-Maida Pakistani Restaurant And Market
5650 Market St.
Oakland, CA 94608
+1 510-652-4750

Monday - Saturday
10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Pickup service
Monday - Sunday
11:00 AM - 7:20 PM

https://www.al-maidahotfoodmarket.com/

But shabu shabu does tend to be all about the meat, and Hancook offers a lot of options in that department, too. The vividly crimson rib eye steak was sliced so thin that pieces cooked almost instantly. The brisket, while naturally tougher, arrived super-thin and marbled. The pork belly soaked up flavor and melted in its fattiness. And the shaved slices of pork neck offered a surprisingly gamey intensity. After a quick dunk in the broth, each item tasted multidimensional, and the trio of sauces on offer — chili sauce, ponzu, and a salty goma-dare that almost tasted like peanut butter — deepened the flavor.

Shabu House
1376 E 14th St., San Leandro
510-351-2888

Hours: Sun.–Thu. 5–9:30 p.m., Fri.–Sat. 5–10 p.m.

Hancook
4315 Telegraph Ave., Oakland
510-876-9988
HancookInOakland.com
Hours: 11 a.m.–midnight daily

1 Like

Blue Nile Ethiopian just opened next to Lake Merritt near Chinatown. @hyperbowler

1 Like

Thanks! I’m guessing they’re not affiliated with the former Blue Nile in Berkeley.

Looks like they have “Goden tibs”, beef short ribs, which only a few places have and I don’t think I’ve ever eaten.

Janelle Bitker, an excellent food writer at the East Bay Express, has been hired by Eater SF but will freelance for the Express. I think that the Express is looking for another food writer.

1 Like

Ugh.

1 Like

This family recipe is made with more than 20 ingredients, some of which they source from Oaxaca.

Agave Uptown, 2135 Franklin St. (at 22nd), Oakland

4 posts were split to a new topic: Yu’s Idea Cuisine

Photo by Constanza Hevia H.
Steamed in banana leaves, the tamales arrive slick and soft.

excerpt:

But those pupusas. They’re traditional in size — a bit smaller, thinner, and more delicate than those you’ll find at some other Bay Area eateries, which often serve thick, heavy pucks with too much masa and not enough filling. These are pupusas sized for picking up with your hands, as you should. You’ll find the staple fillings of cheese, zucchini, refried beans, and pork, as well as combinations of them. If you order one with cheese, you will get those satisfying cheese pulls — add loroco, small, green unopened flower buds, for a bit of lightness and freshness, or pork for double the unctuousness. Fish and shrimp are other, more unusual options. The itty-bitty flecks of fish melt into the cheese so the flavor is imperceptible, but the juicy hunks of shrimp work well. There’s also a rice flour variation, which arrives a bit paler, firmer, and less sweet than the usual corn.

What most impressed me, though, was the curtido, the lightly fermented cabbage, carrot, onion, and oregano slaw that’s absolutely required for pupusa enjoyment. It delivered beautiful crunch and sharp tang, heightened by the red, tomato-based, and vinegar-forward salsa.

El Salvador Taqueria y Pupuseria
6520 Foothill Blvd., Oakland
510-567-3481
Hours: Mon., Tue., Thu. 11 a.m.–7 p.m.; Fri. 11 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sat., Wed. 11 a.m.-6:30 p.m.
Cash, all major credit cards

Now that Maya Halal Taqueria has taken over, “it’s not just any taqueria,” said Al. “It’s women-owned and operated by the same staff” as La Chata.

The menu appears to be relatively similar, but in keeping with its halal focus, the new spot no longer offers pork. Expect to see Tex-Mex-style fare with halal meats, plus house-made tortilla chips.

1 Like