Oakland news and notes 2018

http://www.sfweekly.com/dining/dyafa-proves-that-reem-assil-is-the-chef-to-watch/

SF Weekly: Dyafa Proves That Reem Assil Is the Chef to Watch
A follow-up to Reem’s California, this 105-seat restaurant in Jack London Square embodies hospitality right down to its very last detail.

1 Like

The grand opening is June 8

Hometown Heroes
4000 Adeline St, Emeryville, CA 94608

This article was co-written by Darwin BondGraham, the excellent award-winning investigative reporter for the Express.

1 Like

NY’s Artichoke Basille is opening its second east bay location. I’ve not had eaten their food in NY, but found everything at the Berkeley location wretched. They have lot of fans though.

excerpt:

The four founding breweries of the district include Independent Brewing (444 Harrison St.), Original Pattern Brewing (292 4th St.), Oakland United Beerworks (formerly Linden Street Brewery, opening this summer at 262 2nd St.), and Federation Brewing (420 3rd St.).

I’ve been waiting for this for so long. I really enjoyed the soba at ippuku. Soba is my favorite Japanese noodle!

Update, 4:45 p.m.: “We are closed on the retail side for now,” Roy Choi says in a statement, “but please look into our catering services in Oakland and a new location at the Richmond BART station soon and of course San Jose.”

on July 2, when Belcampo opens its serious new retail flagship with a large butcher shop, full-service restaurant, and bar in Jack London Square. There’s room for 230 diners at the 7,000-square-foot space (including 100 seats on the patio) at 55 Webster Street, where brunch, lunch, and dinner will be served.

Nitoto and Prestianni will launch the new business on Friday, July 13, from 5 to 9 p.m. at Crooked City Cider/Two Mile Wines (477 25th St., Oakland).

Oakland Produce Market -Jackfruit, papaya, mango, asparagus, avocado, white boiler onion

near the corner of Franklin and 3rd Streets

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Huangcheng Noodle house (Oakland Chinatown)

Farmhouse Kitchen Thai now has a second branch in JLS.

Photo, above: Photo by Drew Costley
The crawfish are larger and meatier than you might expect.

excerpt:

Queen’s Cajun fries items exceptionally well. The fried alligator reminded me of Taiwanese popcorn chicken but pleasantly chewier and dusted in Cajun seasoning. The light, scallion-topped gravy on the side deftly straddled the American South with Saigon. While fried catfish is a staple on local Viet-Cajun menus, I haven’t encountered a version as crunchy as the slabs of golden fish at Queen’s. The chef uses a coarse, stone-ground cornmeal that stuck to my fingers, protecting perfectly flaky flesh inside. Even as the fish sat and cooled, it retained that crunch until the last bite. The fried shrimp — crispy and juicy — impressed as well.

Queen’s Cajun Seafood
2211 International Blvd., Oakland
510-328-1458
Hours: Wed.–Sun. 2–10 p.m.
Cash, all major credit cards

1 Like