NYT article on new app that helps plus-size diners find restaurants where they can eat comfortably

The article does mention in passing that finding restaurants that can easily accomodate patrons using wheelchairs, walkers, etc. is a similar problem. The comments are, well, pretty much what you would expect.

1 Like

This is a good idea. I once had a friend who was extremely over weight. Prior to our friendship I had never thought about the challenges that weight created in many day to day activities. He couldn’t sit at a booth, many bar stools didn’t work. Even the position of the table in regard to other tables mattered since his chair couldn’t pull close to the table. There were many restaurants he couldn’t dine in at.

2 Likes

I make no secret of the fact that I am a short, fat man. One who struggles with booths. On the one hand, there is the question of whether I can comfortably squeeze into it. On the other hand, the fact that the relationship of the seating to the table is fixed can also be an issue. In most cases, if a server is leading me towards a booth, I will usually ask if I can have a normal table.

1 Like

I’m short with short legs. I really need a pillow behing my back to get somewhat close to the table when in a booth. A purse can help in a pinch!

I think the app is a great idea and I can easily understand the need.

As an average sized adult (not skinny, not huge, but no modeling agencies are calling) who can generally move about the world without having to think about things too much - there are plenty of restaurants whose tables are so close together that I feel very awkward getting into my seat. I hate having to maneuver into a table feeling like my ass is brushing across the top of the table next to me - I can easily see how this would become exponentially more uncomfortable with each inch increase in waist size.

Edit: there are some restaurants that i go to where I immediately think upon entering - oh wait, Let me take my coat off now because if I try to do it at the table I’m sure I’ll knock someone’s drink over - and I better go to the restroom now because once I maneuver into the seat there is no way I’m getting out again until the meal is over . . . . . Sometimes the balance of getting enough seats in and maintaining a comfortable environment gets lost. I’d use the app just for that reason.

7 Likes

Yeah, some of my favorite joints are these tiny, pack 'em in type of places where even average folks have to do multiple adjustments to get comfortable. I can see how this is a bummer if someone is larger. I made the mistake of stopping in an NYC restaurant when I got off a plane. I was starving and had my rolling bag with me. God – I might have well been towing a seeing-eye elephant. Trying to fit a little bag under or near me was impossible and I had to keep it up at the register (I was starving when I got off the flight!).

I’m short so I hate, hate, hate the trend towards high tops and bar stools for everything. If you’re not a bar and don’t want to be a bar, kill the high tops! Or at least keep them only in the bar area where people stand around.

4 Likes

I eat out with mom at least 2 or 3 times a month. She’s 90 and was 4’11" before she lost those 2-3 inches older folks tend to lose. I can’t tell you how many times a host/hostess has walked by regular tables or booths and tried to seat us at a high top :confused:

Me? I’m a whopping 5’4" and I hate high tops too.__

1 Like

As someone who is a “larger” person I’ve spent most of my adult life just under 6’4 and just over 300lbs. While I’m a “big guy” I’m not extraordinarily tall or obese, I’m just BIG. I’ve often noted how “marginal” so many things in life are when you are above “normal”. Booths (besides the preformed pizza parlor old school fast food style) are not so much a problem for stomach space, but I can’t share one. Width becomes as much a problem as depth. Chairs can be equally annoying, awkward heights can lead to having to cross my legs when sitting which causes chronic knee pain just from sitting.

Don’t even get me started with cars!! I don’t think I would use the app but I can see a need for it especially given the fact we are only getting “larger”.

2 Likes

This describes a good 90% of nyc restaurants- in the context of normal size/height not extra tall or large people. I’d say a good 5% now have zero seating at all- pay and GTF outta here might as well be printed on the door.

3 Likes

Not the same, I know, but it reminded me of being left handed.

1 Like