Not easy as a restaurateur today

Very organised indeed.

2 Likes

I have a few friends with several food allergies who I know appreciate options . . . . but I have to wonder about this list. I wonder if people with food allergies really get this specific when ordering out (my friends don’t, they do broad strokes to be safe) - e.g. they have no shellfish, no mollusk, no cephalopod, no bivalves. . . . . . seems like overkill - fish vs shellfish yes - mollusk vs bivalve, I’d be surprised if someone with this allergy would be willing to risk it.

Ah -looks like posted from Denmark. The EU has been way ahead on legislation regarding food allergies.

Not really in restaurants in France. But good to know restaurants like Noma is taking this seriously.

I don’t understand the last in the list, no stone fruits?!

I’m allergic to many raw stone fruits. Cooked, pickled, or marinated in vinegar or alcohol, no problem. Cherries, apricots, peaches, nectarines, plums, etc. Not life threatening usually, just blisters in mouth and asthma. But I have been hospitalized on one occasion.

Thanks for the explanation. Can you eat uncooked tomatoes?
And how about banana and avocado?

It must be difficult to eat out with this allergy.

I give credit to the resturanture today. It’s a tough business with lots of pitfalls and a big risk of failure.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think that tomatoes or bananas are stone fruits. And I just looked up avocados and they considered a berry and not a stone fruit. I love learning new things :slight_smile:

1 Like

You imply a good question: Presume restaurants are for those whose household/business payrolls do not include a dietician and chef who can cook most of your desires, what is a reasonable standard for restaurants to meet in disclosing the menu’s ingredients, and being able to cater to each customer’s dietary needs, AND still run a business that serves its clientele, workers, and owners?

1 Like