• 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice
  • 2 habaneros, halved, seeds and stems removed
  • 2 jalapenos, halved lengthwise
  • 2 serrano peppers, halved lengthwise
  • 1/4 cup finely diced, fresh pineapple
  • 5 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
  • 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

I have way too many peppers to choose here, but I will ! Mostly “seasoning” chinense peppers with mild to moderate heat. What have you tried?

I’ve never used that filipino powdered mix, and I don’t make pibil all that often, but when I do, I usually use the paste. I don’t know if this is “correct”, but I’ve always just diluted it with juice, maybe throwing in a little “extra” herbs and spices according to mood/whim/how it smells… If you’re using all of the liquids the Serious Eats recipes calls for, just use those, diluting to the recommended consistency (more or less). (Or maybe more to the point, using enough paste to get the right consistency using the amount of liquid the recipe calls for?)

2 Likes

Just what I needed! Thank you!

Now I’m beginning to wonder if I have a “whole shoulder” rather than picnic.

Yay! Keto diet reference! Which suggests IF I actually eat it all, I DID get a good deal!

From ruled.me. Crispy Skin Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder KETO RECIPES > KETO DINNER

“Yesterday, I picked up this 8 pound roast for just under $16. Yep, that’s under $2 a pound …”

(https://www.ruled.me/crispy-skin-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder/)

Okay, maybe not. But for those who have both…

You can split it up, and make it two ways. I found this.

I think I will try to remove some of the meat, and do the pibil recipe with some, and the pernil with the rest.

1 Like

All at less than 30 minutes.
Electric Smoker

Pibil
!
Pernil

3 Likes

Later…

4 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Let’s talk about smoking

I just made after-work lasagna with the frozen bologna meat sauce!

1 Like

Looks so delicious!

Breaking Down Pork Shoulder: Boston Butt Versus Picnic Shoulder

3 Likes

I’m currently braising a pork shoulder in soft apple cider, with some cumin, coriander, bay leaf and pepper.

These caught my eye for another time

2 Likes

Thanks for the “nudge” and recipes. I love pork shoulder! I have started using country style ribs, since I seem to be the only one who does in my household.

2 Likes

My fav for this is carnitas… tender, crispy, super flavorful, and great on almost everything. Best with fresh lard, but if you don’t have access to it, it can be done rendering the pork fat with other goodies. Yum!

2 Likes

Yes! I do love me some carnitas! Still, it’s been a long time since I’ve made them at home. Luckily there’s a place down the street I can get really good ones, and there’s not a lot of things I can say that about!

1 Like

It’s my favourite cut for pork, other than ribs. Shout out to really thin fast fry pork chops, too.

Butchers don’t really sell country ribs around southwestern Ontario and Toronto, as far as I know. Side ribs or spare ribs mostly, and maybe thin cut Korean -style pork ribs.

I don’t like them cooked like spare ribs. I rarely bought them until I learned they were usually cut up shoulders! I wonder if they could be marketed better.

2 Likes

I ended up making a Pork Rendang after all.
It was sort of a mishmash. I used most ingredients in this one

I included ginger, onion, garlic, lime leaves, bay leaves, tamarind paste, fish sauce, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric, nutmeg, cumin, kashmiri chile, curry powder, coconut milk and brown sugar.

I couldn’t find my dried lemongrass or galangal. We liked the Rendang a lot. I’ve made Beef Rendang 3 or 4 times. This was my first Pork Rendang.

These sliders in the following recipe look delicious.

I don’t have access to the brand of Rendang paste mentioned in the recipe. Any Rendang on a bun with a slaw looks good to me! Nice twist on pulled pork or beef. https://www.homiah.com/en-ca/blogs/recipe/rendang-pulled-pork-sliders

3 Likes

Now, I know you have a smoker. I adore cochinita pibil. have it all the time in southern MX, and make it here. Though the color from the achiote puts off many on this side of the border, it’s quite mild. Generally, the banana leaves are the hardest “ingredient” for folks to find, but they’re cheap at a local Mexican run store by me.

Dang! Dass what I’m talking about! Love that you’re using the skin, too.

:blush:

Some of the finished dish. Probably should have gone longer.

More recently , but with cheeks. @DaBadger , you’ve seen this already.

4 Likes

I think you may be confusing “Pozole” with “Menudo”

1 Like