Let's talk about smoking

my Mak pellet smoker takes around 14 hours to smoke 2 butts
I wish I bought an electric one now,

1 Like

I’m no expert, but I like the electric smoker with remote thermometer and alarm!

my Mak has outlet for 3 remote thermometers with alarm for time and temperature. I only bought 2 thermometers as I only smoke 2 hunks of meat at the same time.Ribs and fish does not need thermometer.
For 300 dollars, one can buy an optional Mobile which allows you to operate your grill using any device with a web browser. Change and set grill temperatures, set meat probe alerts, receive text or email notification alerts anywhere, anytime.
However, I still think yours look much better for smoking in such a short time. Al at less than 30 min Can’t beat that!!

Well the pictures were taken, but I didn’t eat until “later” (pictures 3 and 4) .

I don’t know that this is any faster, but it let’s me relax a LOT in between, compared to au natural.

IMG_20160319_125053

1 Like

wonderful left in smoker with other meat that are being smoked. Better than in the grill.

1 Like

Great idea! I used some of them when I smoked my Conchita Pibil last weekend.

I left them in the smoker for a long time, not just an hour or so, perhaps much much longer and ti was really excellent!

1 Like

Unpeeled I guess. Did you eat them unpeeled as well? Do you know what temp?" Where they still flexible?

I think I’m going to to try this with the rest of the green ones. I found this about smoking red ones, but I’m making jelly from those.

Smoked Anchos- Dave Dewitt

Doing it!

Using these directions so far…

Kelli’s Kitchen-HOW TO SMOKE PEPPERS THE EASY WAY

I might try the last of the paste tomatoes too!

Thoughts?

I was smoking pork loin with bourbon brown sugar following Steve Rachlin’s recipe. Also did double smoked potatoes and peaches as well. Because I had some poblano, I threw it in, skin and all. Recipe for the potatoes are one and half hour but I wanted to have that crisp skin and remember smoking it a little bit longer , just left the poblano in as well I took the poblanos out, placed them in a brown paper bag for a few minutes and peeled the skin off. It was very good.

1 Like

you must have an electric smoker I have a MaK Pellet smoker so unless I am smoking meat or fish, I do not smoke vegetables It is too much a hassle for me. Wish I bought an electric one

I bought a small electric “Smokin Tex” two years ago. I felt wretched when I took “the easy way out”, and it needs additional parts to do a “cold smoke”, or veg, but I do like it!

Cold Smoke Plate

About one hours in on the green poblanos, and just added the tomatoes.

The Smokin Tex is a Cookshack knock off

I use a tin can soldering iron method for cold smoking but a A-Maze-N cold smoke devices are simple and don’t cost a lot

Ahh! I knew it was a knock off, but can’t remember of what.

(ETA , I was thinking of “Smokin it”)

I will look for a-maze-n cold smoke stuff, assuming that if it is a knock off, it is well deserved!

FWIW, I don’t mind paying for r and d.

Fwiw, cabelas (now owned by bass pro) has a nice vertical water smoker that’s electric. This is what I have been using for over 15 years. I just got my second one 3 years ago as the first just wore out over time. I highly recommend one and around Xmas you can them on sale and sometimes get free shipping too.

3 Likes

What ever smoker you have this is a treat. Salmon belly brined in a sweet/ salt solution

5 Likes

Nice! I usually try to get whole salmon and steak them. I also like the fatty belly part and to me the skin attached gives it more flavor. What kind of wood?

Apple