Mr. Todiwalas [Coinbrook, Slough, near LHR]

Leaving Milan (LIN) in the afternoon for Heathrow (LHR) – see Part Four of our Italian vacation – we had an overnight layover. Our Virgin Atlantic flight back to the States didn’t leave until the next morning. And when we have an early morning flight out of LHR back home to the States, we often stay at the Hilton London Heathrow Airport T5 Hotel (aka “Hilton T5”). Not only is it convenient, clean, comfortable, and quiet, but we are assured of having a great dinner at Mr Todiwala’s Kitchen Restaurant.

I cannot speak to the ins-and-outs of Indian cuisine in Britain, but Mr. Todiwalas Kitchen offers a wide variety of both meat and vegetarian dishes from various parts of India – some traditional, and others taking on a more modern twist. On this occasion, we shared a dish that combined seven (or was it nine) different appetizers, and while I had a pork vindaloo, my wife had the tandoori assortment – nine (or was it seven) selections from the tandoor oven.

As always, everything was delicious, and we went upstairs to a good night’s sleep before our flight back to the US.

//////////\

FWIW, we got to the airport early enough to relax at Virgin Atlantic’s Heathrow Clubhouse lounge, and enjoy surprisingly delicious Eggs Benedict and a glass of very good Champagne before boarding our return flight home.

Mr. Todiwalas is a great addition to the restaurants at Heathrow. The owner also is the owner of Cafe Spice Namaste in London, a very fine restaurant near Tower Bridge. I’ve had some great meals there. I’m an American who moved near London 12 years ago. I had eaten Indian food in NYC, but nothing there, as far as I’m concerned, comes close to what one can fine in England.