Mimi Sheraton in The Daily Beast: Make Mine Canned Tuna - You need to give canned tuna in olive oil a second chance.

excerpts:

But especially when it comes to salade niçoise preserved tuna is the only correct choice, whether it is packed in a can, a jar or a ceramic jug. Because of its oil-softened crumbliness and intense salinity, preserved tuna enlivens the olive-oil and vinegar dressing as well as the other traditional ingredients: sliced boiled potatoes, cooked green beans, black olives, hard-boiled eggs and tomatoes. For added salty intensity, capers and/or anchovies are often included. Cucumber and artichokes are also considered acceptable but leafy greens definitely are not, no matter how strongly they say salad to so many.

2 Likes

I like sardines, herring, oysters, mussels, etc. in olive oil. Not crazy about any kind of canned tuna though I’m not sure why.

I’m still giving it its first chance.:grin: I remember thinking America’s Food Revolution™ was going off the Deep End when I started seeing Salade Niçoise on menus being made with freshly cooked tuna. Merely “seared” tuna no less… :roll_eyes: