McDonald's in General

That’s crazy! I don’t think I have ever taken my kids to Micky D’s. There are other things I have never done with my children, even as adults, but don’t condemn them. Like eating PSTOPC ( a proverbial shit ton of potato chips!) I’m thinking paraphrasing @LindaWhit. If not credit to someone other than me.

Do you have a link to “situations” in other countries? I’m always intrigued when I see Micky D’s in other countries, and how their menus differ.

1 Like

Agreed. While I can easily make a better McD’s burger at home, trying to out do a fresh Filet o’ Fish has always been a disaster. I have tried just about every brand of frozen, breaded fish filets in the supermarket and not a single one has come close to their breaded pollack filet, no matter how I cook it. You’d think this would be a no-brainer, but it just isn’t.

Also, I have yet to get an egg (Mcmuffin style) right. I have egg rings, and have tried a number of pan grilled/water bath/covered steamed methods and have yet to nail it.

4 Likes

Once you get it all right, may we expect the launch of a McScottinPollock chain with quadruple arches?

Your attempt to recreate these dishes is truly impressive.

6 Likes

I’m mystified why y’all want to duplicate lowest common denominator FF offerings.

4 Likes

LOL! No, but I’ll post the methods if I discover them. I have the burgers and fries down, but I still really want to do the eggs and filet o fish at home.

3 Likes

They had Big Mac’s, but opted for the Egg Bulgogi Burger (single). :wink:

If USA McD’s menu offered Chicken Rice, I “might” frequent more than my usual twice a year.

4 Likes

A Big Mac is great, provided it is done with quality (which it simply isn’t at McD’s).

Their fish sandwich is amazing when fresh (but a big miss when it has sit too long under the lights).

The eggs (McMuffin) are wonderful… they’re a half inch thick, with a texture that is a perfect cross between poached and fried.

What’s not to like… provided you can control the end result (which is not possible at the drive thru)?

6 Likes

You’ve hit the nail on the head, . The McD’s offerings are all carefully crafted, after extensive testing, to be tasty. But they fail badly on the execution, and are too dependent on local dis-interest-in-detail. Many of their franchisees simply ride on the McD reputation with no real incentive (as long as people flock in) to deliver anything OK.

1 Like

Interestingly, my daughter’s study includes a comparison with Chipotle. Her kids chicken nuggets meal (she’s not a kid, but eats like one) at McD’s cost around $5 as did a quesadilla kid’s meal at Chipotle. The Chipotle meal came with hefty sides of rice, beans, salsa and chips. (My daughter said “What kid could eat all this?”) The McD’s meal came with a flimsy toy and a drink carton. Here are the stock performances of the two companies (stealing my daughter’s downloads):

3 Likes

Great, amazing, and wonderful are not words I’d use in describing Mickey’s offerings.
But carry on :wink:

3 Likes

Even conceptually?
Or just executionally?

2 Likes

Make my smashburger Big Mac and then tell me it’s not great. I am more about the engineering than the store front execution.

In the case of the Filet o’ Fish… PLEASE tell me where I can buy a breaded pollack filet that is this good. I’d love to align with you here.

And the McMuffin eggs… have you had one? If so, what was wrong with it? I still think they’re pretty wonderful.

2 Likes

I’ve not had @ScottinPollock 's offerings. (and I implore @ScottinPollock to make your way a bit closer for live Dungeness, even in tanks, when in season!)

For Micky D’s, for the breakfast and fish sandwich, I’m thinking not great and amazing, but certainly good enough in certain situations.

1 Like

I’ve had multitudes of all 3.
Perfectly acceptable road food :blush:
Just not the legendary restaurant fare I desire to try and duplicate.
Because I can already go through the drive thru.

1 Like

Can’t help you with the frozen fish fillet.
The egg Mcmuffin on the other hand, well here ya go ! My boys make their own at home.

3 Likes

30 years ago Starbucks was barely on the scene, so MCD essentially subsuming the top five still seems to hold.

My husband orders something similar at Tim Horton’s a farmer’s breakfast wrap.

1 Like

I suppose I might be labeled snooty after this comment, but if you can’t share it on a food board, then where.

Growing up as an immigrant kid in the 70s and 80s, my parents would occasionally do McDs as a treat. I was all about the nuggets and fries. Did not stray, except for the quite tasty fish sandwich, which unfortunately gave me ecoli when I was 12. As a high school and college student, I first started to get into food (lots of cooking shows) and then into food philosophy/science/politics… Once I read enough Pollan, Kingsolver, and Fast Food Nation, I was pretty much done with McDs, and any CAFO beef. Knowing about how many cows are raised in the US will put you off to eating them completely, when sourced that way.

Since then, we don’t do McDs. Don’t do BK or Wendys. If I’m going to eat any mass produced beef every so often, it will be at In and Out, which is both delicious and not in my state. It’s a travel food only. My family has left more at McDs than we’ve taken. In that it’s quite a useful pitstop on roadtrips. If we order anything, it is fries and drinks. My kids have no interest or desire in McDs food whatsoever. I consider that a parenting success actually.

I think the international McDs are super fun. In Japan, we saw a burger on a black bun. Squid ink. In Hong Kong, I loved that the unsweetened ice tea came with simple syrup, rather than a packet of sugar that we all know doesn’t dissolve.

5 Likes

As a curiosity, since you’re so hostile to McD’s philosophically and culinarially – both on entirely legitimate grounds, many of which I share – why do you go into their stores at all when traveling abroad?

1 Like

You didn’t ask me, but I am curious about how this “current situation” return translates into something I might be able to understand in our global economy,