McDonald's in General

Sorry, the response is basically Pavlovian in me at this point!

3 Likes

The difference being, the Red Sox are not universally detested outside their hometown.
The Yankees, on the other hand are despised, in every nook and cranny Worldwide :globe_with_meridians:
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

The beef patties in the picture look a lot plumper and juicier than the dry, thin wafers I got yesterday. As @tomatotomato observes, there is a lot of variation from store to store (from past road trips). I’ve found that to be the case with Shake Shack as well.

We need to find out where ScottinPollock lives when we have a craving for a Big Mac, because pictured is his own homemade knockoff! If only I could get a burger out that looked that good - dream on.

3 Likes

No wonder that sandwich looks so good.

1 Like

It is not that bad.

Pollock Pines, CA. Lemmeno when you’re in the area.

Or make your own. As for the “sauce”… I don’t fiddle with Big Mac sauce copycat recipes. I prefer a good mayo with paprika and freshly ground black pepper with a dash of fresh lemon, tossed with chopped onions and shredded lettuce on bottom and middle bun… with sliced dill pickle on top of that mixture on the middle bun.

7 Likes

Thanks! It does look very tasty & made me hungry. Unfortunately my small chef salad, while great didn’t quite satisfy my craving, shock!

It’s terrific. As a curiosity, why the cheese on the bottom? I guess that’s how a Big Mac does it, but i hadn’t considered why. Do you prefer it that way, or is just faithfulness to the model?

I just looked and i found this a fun read:

1 Like

Just tried to build it as the original.

1 Like

You know this should be a separate new post, right?

I do an egg macme-muffin with sausage that blasts any of the store stuff into oblivion.

the sausage is Bob Evans “Original” - pick one you like, that’s mine
I par-fry the cut-into-slices roll and freeze.
reheated in the microwave.

the egg is done with a egg ring.
as soon as the egg goes in the ring, the English muffin (halves) go down for toasting.

egg flipped; muffin sides toasted
assemble:
bottom muffin
sausage patty
egg layer
cheese slice
top muffin

why is it better?
the egg, the sausage and the cheese are not all at some uniform wimpy heat lamp temp…
the English muffin is crisp and not soggy from being wrapped/stored for (sometime) under a heat lamp on a heated shelf…

4 Likes

Fish sandwich and breakfast sandwich.

When I’m feeling sorry for myself, in the morning or at noon, no time for something “good”, they are always there.

Biscuit or English muffin, sausage or bacon, maybe the egg but NOT that “cheese”.

I used to include the breakfast hashbrown in my pity party, but no longer.

4 Likes

Let’s see if it picks up steam at the bottom.

I’m right there with you :+1:t2: Cravings for those are few and far between. Their fries can be really good or quite mediocre.

My only add would be: bring back those fried apple pies and then we can be closer friends.

When I am overseas, I actually get the occasional McCafe coffee or latte, if there isn’t a better coffee option nearby. They are a passable option if you are not in a coffee centric location.

2 Likes

Fish sandwich.The OG(though Popeye’s is good too, it’s mostly seasonal, I believe)

3 Likes

That’s kind of funny, I too studied Mc Donalds in a business class some 30+ years ago. At the time Mc Donalds was #1 fast food chain, their revenues were more than the other top 5 chains combined. (at the time Burger King was number 2 and waaaaayyyyy behind what Mc D’s was)

I also remember that Mc D’s corporate marketing team was heavily weighted with psychologists / psychiatrists because the marketing approach was indoctrination of younger eaters into the brand, then as they grow, bringing their children into the store and indoctrinating them.

Ronald being a “clown” and the other character’s all appealing to children. In the 70’s & 80’s the push was for the stores with the indoor play areas, the climbing “thing” ball pits, slides etc. was all part of indoctrination of children into the brand. Then as adults the parents would want to create the happy memories they had at Mc D’s as a youth and bring their children etc. Their marketing campaign was truly astonishing and really gave an insight into how much corporations will do to establish a brand loyalty. “You deserve a break today”…where are you going to get that break? Truly fascinating stuff back in the day.

For me personally Mc Donalds is 90% breakfast. I enjoy their biscuit sandwiches, their biscuits are top notch. Sausage egg and cheese Mc’ Muffin would be a back up if the biscuit sandwiches are a no-go.
As far as burgers I tend to stay away, maybe I have 2-3 a year, that would be because one of my kids insists they want something, or on a road trip.

As for how do they stay in business. Well I would say that marketing department of their has earned their keep, they built a multi-generational brand. Also…the biggest draw to the place, price point.

7 Likes

We’re also in the camp that admires the Egg McMuffin with sausage. Fries are superb when hot; there one was a time when you could order a serving of guacamole; so we did and dunked the fries. Then there’s the McDouble hack of substituting Big Mac sauce for ketchup and mustard – same amount of meat and cheese without extra bread and shredded lettuce.

4 Likes

Here’s the current situation (in the US):

1 Like

Lot of breakfast fans out there, but I’m not sure what this meal is of which you speak.

When I joined the University meal plan in my first semester as a grad student I had a choice of lunch+dinner for around $450 (for the semester, weekdays), or $475 with breakfast thrown in. I figured that If I ate two breakfasts every week for the 15 weeks of the semester, it would cost me 83 cents per breakfast, a good deal even then. Half the semester passed and I had not been able to get to even one. Finally, I stayed up all night to eat breakfast, and later, during finals week, I did it once more.

3 Likes