Manhattan Bagel recommendations for 2022?

Agree with all… I’d also add Murray’s to the list.

1 Like

Has anyone had these?

Baguette-like doesn’t sound attractive to me, but what do I know?

I haven’t, but the description makes me think I won’t like it all that much. But kudos to them for expanding the reach of the bagel.

Yeah, it sure is! I prefer Montreal-style bagels, but I’ll wait till I’m visiting Montreal again to get one.

That said, I liked the mini-bagels at Absolute best, and they struck me as very similar to Montreal-style bagels. Get 'em while they’re hot!

1 Like

Quick update - I ended up spending the day in Soho/Little Italy/Chinatown with the gang yesterday, where we hit up Baz Bagels for lunch. Baz was chosen for the fact that they carry rainbow bagels, which made my nieces extremely happy! Luckily the rest of us enjoyed the experience as well - I’ve had better bagels in NYC, but Baz’ were more than adequate and the pumpernickel everything I had made a great base for a Nova sandwich with chive cream cheese. I also tasted my sister’s tuna melt on sesame, which was equally delicious. Thanks HOs for your input!

3 Likes

We ate at Baz Bagels a few years ago. Found it expensive in price and disappointing in quality.

1 Like

It was definitely expensive, but I was pleased with the quality. Generous quantity of both cream cheese and nova - the fish was very flavorful as well. For me, those are more important than the bagel itself! If I had been on my own I would have walked a few more blocks to Russ and Daughters, but the smiles on my nieces’ faces when they got their rainbow bagels was priceless ;).

2 Likes

My reaction: What on Earth are “rainbow bagels”? I guess I’ll do a web search, but that sure doesn’t sound like anything traditional. Having done the search: Oh my God, they’re worse than I thought possible! Artificially colored stuff! I was hoping they were marbled white and pumpernickel…But OK, chacun a son gout.

1 Like

There’s a place to in my ( adopted)neighborhood Freehold NJ that was featured awhile ago on some news story.
I had to check it out . They are horrible & hideous an affront to anyone who enjoys bagels.
Admittedly the owner made them to attract people on social media.
Unfortunately it has caught on in the NY NJ area.
They are for children & being used as lacquer coated paper weights. Not recommended for adults consumption.
I am a ny’er born & bred & these should not be called bagels by any stretch of the imagination.

3 Likes

Lol, I know. You couldn’t pay me to eat one. At least there is no artificial flavor, just color - but still, ugh.

2 Likes

If you are heading out to Brooklyn otherwise, Terrace Bagels and Bagel Hole in Windsor Terrace (S of Prospect Park) both make excellent product. Bagel Hole is smaller and really chewy and tasty (not heated) Terrace has a wide range of flavors, I was very impresses with their stuff.

2 Likes

One bagel in NYC? Ess-A. Garlic.

Started as a Pandemic Thing.
(Also - subscription bagels @ $38/doz? Nope, thank you though.)

I can maybe handle a $2 bagel. But that’s it!

1 Like

we’ve been buying from bagel bobs on york but last weekend moved to tals on east 86th. On the uws, tals was nothing special but on the ues, so far, it rules and on end, is above average for nyc.