Manhattan Bagel recommendations for 2022?

There is honey in the dough also added to the water and then heated.
Thank you for the correction @CygnusX1, sorry I should have made that more clear.
Now that I think about it, dropping it in honey sounds pretty disgusting otherwise.

i wonder if schwartz’s deli ships too? i bet they’d enjoy pastrami on a montreal bagel in nyc. :joy:

1 Like

sigh

I’ve never understood the love for St. Viateur. A few years ago, we had them in situ, at their cafe in Montreal. Neither one of us cared for them. But the (veggie) mushroom pate that I got on mine - now that’s something I would absolutely eat again and again.

2 Likes

I like Montreal bagels a lot. Fairmont is the other top bagel place in Montreal.

I also like NYC bagels a lot.

I wouldn’t send Mtl bagels to a Bagel City like NYC, since NYC has so many good, fresh NYC-style bagels available.

II would bring Mtl bagels and NYC bagels home with me, after a visit to Mtl or NYC.

Give Olunia a break.

Montreal bagels are a treat for many of us (especially for many Canadians)

I have room for Mtl bagels, NYC bagels, Toronto bagels (there’s such a thing- Bagel World or Kiva’s), flagels, even cheddar herb bagels in my heart.

2 Likes

Of course they do! But you have a source for Mtl deli- Mile End in Brooklyn. For anyone who has been to Mile End, how are the bagels?

https://www.mileenddeli.com/menu

There are a lot of Montrealer expats living in NYC. I’m sure some that grew up with smoked meat and St Viateur/Fairmont continue to like or love those foods, despite NYC offering Katz’s corned beef /pastrami and NYC bagels.

2 Likes

Eater has a list

I really like Black Seed. Nice flavor and chew.

By the way, don’t NY style bagels need malt syrup? Its not honey, its a stickier sweeter goo.

1 Like

:rofl:

Aren’t those a bit Montrealish, too?

Nevertheless, I was a huge admirer in the old days when they had just the one location on Elizabeth and the bagels came out of a wood oven there. They were small, rustic, each one a slightly different shape, and with, as you say, terrific chew. Every once in a while a bagel was slightly charred, but what’s charm without a bit of char? In the last five years they’ve gone rapidly downhill. The bagels have gotten plumper, less chewy, and more uniform. My last batch last fall was so cottonwoolly on the inside that I suspect it will indeed be my last batch.

I didn’t like H&H when they were on 46th – too costly, too big, and too soft. But there’s an outlet in Moynihan Hall in Penn Station where the bagels are much better than I remembered them as being.

Speaking of H&H, after this

how has the company revived? Or is it a different outfit under the same name?

1 Like

Me too.

As a resident of Los Angeles, it is treat to go to Courage Bagels, the only outlet that I know of in Southern California offering Montreal (style) bagels. Lines are long, but well worth the wait. And price.

2 Likes

this place was pretty expensive and mediocre so haven’t been back in a while, I think they imported the stuff in from Montreal. I’m not into spending big bucks for two day old plus bagels that get frozen and toasted.

Bagels | Mile End Cafe | Los Angeles

personally I like the flagels because i like the crusty part best…

1 Like

That’s curious. I’ve had the smoked meat from this Mile End

but don’t remember the bagels.

As far as I can tell, the LA place is a different operation.

yes – i wish it was as good as the one in Brooklyn.

That’s almost slanderous, my friend.

Have you not seen their kitchen setup?

I just sorta popped in walking by, more than a few months ago. I got my intel then, not in advance, asking the folks there. I haven’t returned. Yes, you could surely do better just having the stuff shipped directly to you if that was your thing. I liked the courage bagels btw.

Sometimes I just roll the dice and try something new without r and d. Worked out well with Burger She Wrote in the same general area as this spot…the name I could not resist and the burgers are tasty.

i’ve been, bagel was fine, not Montreal style.

1 Like

they sold the name.

1 Like

Thanks. The bagels are certainly better.

My impression is that Black Seed has suffered under Covid. 3+ years ago their bagels were the best I think I’ve had in a long time. We would order them for breakfast delivery from the original store at work. They opened one in Rock Center which was close to the office. Was good but had lost something at the new outpost. As they continued to expand, the quality just wasn’t the same but I havn’t gotten a cottony one yet. Its not a flavorful though as at the start but still better than 95% of what is out there.

On the other hand, Shelsky’s in Brooklyn (which I didn’t include as the thread is asking about Manhattan) is making some very good wood oven fired bagels.

1 Like