Let's talk Tartar Sauce...

As for store bought, I think my fav is McCormicks.

When I put it together at home, it is usually mayo, sweet and/or dill relish, minced onion, lemon juice (never tried zest), cayenne and/or smoked paprika, and Italian parsley or chives or cilantro.

Never tried a vinegar or other acid other than lemon/lime juice, nor garlic or other aromatics other than the above.

I have to say that the tartar sauce served up on a McDonalds Filet o’ Fish is high on my list.

So what are your secrets for an amazing tartar sauce?

2 Likes

standard recipe with the addition of chopped hard cooked eggs

1 Like

I like Burger King, Popeyes and Stickies. I haven’t gone to McDonalds for a while bc their hamburgers aren’t as good as BK but their fries are great.

Do you think the secret to McDonald’s sauce is MSG? I believe KFC and Popery’s (and likely the other chains) put MSG in their chicken so it’s super good.

And there is MSG in Kewpie (Japanese mayonaise, which I use a lot) which makes it sooo much better.

I don’t think so. I came across this and there is no indication of MSG…

1 Like

perhaps included by omission?

"FDA requires that foods containing added MSG list it in the ingredient panel on the packaging as monosodium glutamate. However, MSG occurs naturally in ingredients such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, as well as in tomatoes and cheeses. While FDA requires that these products be listed on the ingredient panel, the agency does not require the label to also specify that they naturally contain MSG. However, foods with any ingredient that naturally contains MSG cannot claim “No MSG” or “No added MSG” on their packaging. MSG also cannot be listed as “spices and flavoring.”

1 Like

Similar but sometimes add finely chopped green olives.

This is so funny because I just made some.
To mayo I add dijon mustard, lemon juice and either cayenne pepper or a couple of shakes of Worcestershire sauce also chopped: shallots, capers, gherkins and dill.
P.S.
I’ve never tried it with lemon zest, green olives or cooked eggs. Fun thread picking up some interesting new variations.