Labor Day Weekend trip to NYC

We’re headed to Manhattan this weekend. A day trip, likely Saturday, to run around the city with our only real life food friend. Due to a halal diet, we are pescatarian when dining out. (Minus alcohol, eggs/dairy is fine.) The other recent thread is a bit overwhelming, so feel free to tell me to search such and such in that thread to save typing. I have two questions right now.

1. Our splurge is currently set as abcV for an early dinner. Yes or no?
  2. Is the Lego Store in Manhattan worth a visit? I.e., is it different enough from the average Lego Store? Or can you recommend another unique activity/site for kids? (This is relevant because we need to burn off calories in between.)

Appreciate any and all replies.

1 Like

Why? (That would help the yes or no…)

One, because it’s halal-friendly. And also, because our companion has read good things about it. I guess I was looking for opinions of those who’ve been, if it’s consistent, worth the price, etc. “Why?” Stop asking the hard questions!

1 Like

Oh it’s very good. I was just curious why that vs. other places :joy:

2 Likes

Is there a place that specializes in fries with homemade sauces and ketchups? We had a local place like that which closed a few years back and always miss it.

3 Likes

It’s at Rockefeller center, which is good, but also means crowded - and the store isn’t that large. So, no. As an aside, you know the new Legoland opened right?

You could have climbed the Vessel, but it’s closed.
Little Island might be interesting for a visit, but it’s not “exercise” - for that, wandering around Central Park might be your best bet - rent a rowboat, that will burn some calories (and is both pretty and fun).

1 Like

That’s outside of Manhattan, right?

Yes - it was more of an FYI. My friends just visited.

1 Like

Any specific recommendations at ABCv?

The Museum of Natural History. It’s huge. If they’re not exhausted after roaming the dinosaurs, take them to Ocean Life.

1 Like

@bmorecupcake I wonder if you are in NYC at the moment. If you are, hopefully, you have a nice place to wait out the storm. Same goes for @shrinkrap

3 Likes

Not yet. Storm was pretty bad here in Maryland, too. Schools closed early yesterday.

Any breakfast recommendations in the vicinity of 38th & 8th? It can be one place where we dine in. Or it can be something like grab a doughnut from here, coffee/tea from this other place, bagel from yet another place, and find a place to sit and eat it.

My recommendation for that area in general is to go somewhere else as quickly as possible. :wink: Seriously, though - the neighborhood around Port Authority is not particularly interesting at the best of times, and since COVID it has become downright awful. Your best bet might be to grab an egg and cheese on a roll from a street cart and GTFO.

3 Likes

For breakfast, the Sullivan St Bakery Café (25th &9th- I regularly walk that far for breakfast in Manhattan but some people don’t) has some awesome breakfast sandwiches and pastries. Casual spot. I don’t know if the location on 47th has seating. https://www.sullivanstreetbakery.com/#restaurant-section

I flagged some indie coffee shops not far from where you’re staying, since they were close to a midpoint when I stayed near 5th Ave and my friend was closer to 36th & 9th. They didn’t have huge pastry selections.

There’s also a Whole Foods on 6th Ave south of 42nd St, if you want to stock up on snacks or grab breakfast stuff there.

2 Likes

There’s a Culture Espresso at 38th & 8th that I’ve been to. Also, I’ve enjoyed other locations of Cafe Grumpy, and a Fashion District location is quite close to you.

I’m surprised how many Bluestone Lane coffee shops as well as Blue Bottle coffee shops have opened in the past 2 years. Both have a location south of your hotel. I’d hear south to Chelsea or NoMad for breakfast rather than heading north of 42nd , if you want a breakfast with table service.

2 Likes

This place looks neat. Non Solo Piada on 37th. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Non+Solo+Piada,+302+W+37th+St,+New+York,+NY+10018,+United+States/@40.7540758,-73.9926226,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c259ad07c55701:0xfe7442c9860249a9

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. We’ll have a car and we’re picking someone up in the area, so we can move around. I was artificially limiting myself to that area to help me focus, but it looks like parking will be tough there anyway.

Harney & Sons is the only tea shop I know of with a decent London Fog. Any other recommendations for tea? Bosie Tea Parlor closed. Doesn’t have to be London Fog, but ideally tea with milk. Also, if anyone knows of a Bubble Tea shop that makes their own tapioca balls in-house, I would drive out of my way for that.

Hello Always Tea- which made its own boba-looks like it has gone out of business. They are selling ingredients to make bubble tea at home. https://hellobobafriends.com/collections/all
There’s an Eater article about bubble tea from 2019. About half the places are chains, but a few are indies, but you might have to check if they are in business now. I had been seeking out bubble tea 2 years ago.

I’m out of the loop for London Fogs or Milk tea in NYC, but I’m sure you can find some nice tea or coffee shops serving them. For a Malaysian coffee shop- which prob has a tea option of some sort, Kopitiam is neat (other side of Manhattan)

1 Like