Japan 2024. Final Stop: Osaka

In Osaka, one of our favorite eating venue are a bunch of shops scattered throughout a labyrinth under a rail overpass. We love joining the bunches of locals and commuters as they grab a bite before the office, snatch a quick lunch or unwind after work.

It was a chilly wet morning, this restaurant had just what we needed.

Tempura and Duck Soup set for the wife.

A hearty bowl of Chicken Meatballs Soup for me.

A excellent start to a week in Osaka.

13 Likes

https://www.mouriya.co.jp/en/

Teppanyaki!!!

Took the JR to Kobe City to revisit Royal Mouriya. A dedicated chef takes care of each party, even our party of just two diners.

Since this was lunch, beer and sake instead of a big red.

We ordered A5 Ribeye and A5 Sirloin. A light Kobocha Soup to start, followed by a pretty Salad.

A plate of Lotus Root, Sweet Potato, Eggplant and Beansprouts are at the ready.

The stars of the show waiting for showtime.

Garlic Chips, Sea Salt, Fresh Wasabi and coarse Pepper ready for the A5. Miso and Ponzu sauces ready for the veggies.

Some precious unctuous Wagyu fat seasons the grill and the veggies.

Love the teppanyaki style of cooking. Every bite is fresh off the flat top, melt in your mouth explosion of beefy goodness.

The chef finishes with Bean Sprouts grilled with the crispy Wagyu fat shavings. Extra bowl of rice, kudasai!

Well worth the trip.

13 Likes

Amazing!

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

The name of the tempura shop is 新喜楽 (Shin Kiraku).
(https://maps.app.goo.gl/CKSDKNbEMYZwsj9h9)

That chicken meatball soup looks amazing. I’m going to have to seek that place out next time I get to Osaka just to try that soup.

1 Like

A good homey bowl of soup and fresh hot steaming rice = Happy Camper

There was Napa, Leek, Poached Egg, Yuba, Glass Noodes and more ingredients that any home cook would toss in their pot.

A home cooked meal away from home. For big city Osaka, we thought the pricing more than reasonable. By San Francisco metric, unreal!!

After lunch, we peeked through a nearby curtain and spied this gentleman prepping chicken offal for the night’s menu. We tried a couple of nights later, but every joint including this one, was overflowing on a Friday night. Hoping we can get in tonight.

8 Likes

We have been looking forward to revisiting this Tempura shop. Had a great time and meal here last year, Kai, the Fry Chef was great!!

The queue at noon was about 20 deep. Fortunately for me (the line hater), we did not see Kai behind the line. Ok, we’ll be back.

Gyoza? Sushi? Yakiniku? Difficult decisions ahead.

I’ve kinda been on a Soba kick, a lovely server saw us perusing their menu and lured us in. Her, and the incredible prices!!

The wife ordered the Choi-Nomi set. Choice of 2 Oden, a *small amount of Edamame AND a beverage. DW graciously ceded her drink choice to me, and I chose beer. Highball seemed a bit rough for this time and place.

I satisfied my Soba crave with the Soba and Chicken Karaage set.

A side of Fried Chicken, because, Fried Chicken!!!

USD$11.14 out the door. And, we had tummy room (and budget) for Strawberry Ice Cream and Pancake at Hoshino.

10 Likes

My wife and I were in Japan almost exactly a year ago. My wife did all the planning and we spent several nights in Kobe. I think that was solely so she could get more Kobe beef. She screwed up the reservation for Mouriya Honten but they were nice enough to make a phone call and walk us across the street to Royal Mouriya where we were seated immediately.
Our experience was exactly as you described and photographed. One of the most memorable meals of a food-centric trip.

2 Likes

Yikes!!! Groundhog Day Redux!

Didn’t even make a reservation. Wife surmised that no reservations were needed in this off season. I feebly ventured my opinion to the contrary, then wisely STFU’ed.

Walked in around noon’ish to an almost empty dining room, cool. We’re in!!!

Do we have a ressy? Uh…no. Some out of earshot discussions and a quick phone call later. We are granted a spot reservation at the the Royal, 3rd floor across the way!! That works.

To the best of my weak recollection, seems we sat in the same position at the same store on an earlier visit.

Great beef. Great meal. Loved the experience, again.

9 Likes

Yakiniku is Japanese grillin’ with the Korean influence.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/tfzfjibUyemiYZMc6?g_st=ic

Rikimaru Yakiniku is an AYCE restaurant chain in Japan. Chains get a bad rap and somewhat deservedly so in the USA. Our experience with Japanese chains (even imported branches) have been mostly positive.

We went all out! The 120 minute All You can Eat & All You can Drink @ 3780ÂĄ/pp & 1400ÂĄ/pp respectively. USD$76.01 for entire meal for us two.

Garlic sauce and House Miso Ponzu. Good choices of Banchan, Potato Salad, Rice and more accouterments.

Had to start with Tongue. Beef and later Pork.

Short Rib, Skirt, “Steak”, +++

No Yakiniku is complete without Horumon. The Beef Liver was fabulously succulent, grilled by yours truly. Various other Offal were good also.

Hey, it’s AYCE!! DW finishes with the Korean Tofu Soup with Clams and beautiful Egg. I did not partake, meat sweats coming on.

Less than $10usd all you can drink? Well….we CAN drink: Highballs. Red Wine. Sake. $10 bucks well spent.

No room for the famous Ice Cream Sundae. Just two modest scoops of very good quality Vanilla.

Boarding UA tomorrow. Miss Japan already.

11 Likes

I enjoyed living vicariously through your reports. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Appropriate the last post ended with double ice cream! :ice_cream:

:wink:

1 Like

I so enjoyed your reports! I’m always thrilled when you and DW are traveling!!

3 Likes