Hot Dogs!

https://www.ruttshut.com/

In NJ. they deep fry them too.
Called rippers.

2 Likes

Vicious Dogs in LA makes a deep-fried tortilla wrapped hot dog.

1 Like

Favorite frank: Kirkland Signature All Beef. They taste just like the Kahn’s brand that Costco used to sell.

Since I try to avoid white flour, I roll the frank inside whole wheat or multigrain lavash bread. Usual toppings are ketchup, brown mustard, and coleslaw or other form of pickled cabbage.

2 hours… maybe. The chili-cheese dogs are great, and so are the fries. Burgers… not so much IMHO, and never tried the pastrami (although I should). I just like the dogs so much I always get a couple with a half order of fries.

Maybe if you have a secondary reason to make that drive I’d recommend it (perhaps stop at Hog Wild BBQ on the way home and take out some brisket and ribs).

Edit: or maybe a pound of carnitas from Tijuana Taqueria just up the street (or both 'cause they’re just as good or maybe better the day after).

1 Like

And Italian hot dogs!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks - sounds like a good food trip! And thanks for the additional suggestions.

Grilled, either on a BBQ or flat-top griddle. Best way to get that nice snap. Papaya King and Gray’s Papaya in NYC grill their dogs.

I grew up in NJ, and somehow have never had an NJ ripper dog.

3 Likes

I’ve not tried that one, but I’ve tried the BBQ rub as well. I usually make my own BBQ rub, but I wanted to try it because it’s sort of local.

Kinder’s Meats

How was it?

My fav is grooving the sides with a pairing knife, and then either pan fried or grilled.

It worked fine, although I don’t recall any details. It comes in a small bottle, and I usually us a lot, so I still make my own. It looks like had “steak” and not BarBQue

I was going to say NYC hot dog is the best, but when I saw this… I am convinced this is the best.

9 Likes

For store-bought, my preference is Fork in the Road dogs, available at Whole Foods. I’ve seen them in their Bay Area stores, as well as here in Las Vegas. Could be regional – I don’t know. Anyway, these taste like the dogs of my youth, and have that great “snap”. Excellent in a chilidog, or in a conventional prep.

2 Likes

This is said to this gentleman makes the third most delicious hot dog in Japan. I would absolutely wait for an hour or more to try his amazing hot dog.

The 3rd most delicious hot dog in Japan. Until 86 years old, the owner will manage | Japanese food - YouTube

3 Likes

That’s one of the Kinder’s rubs I’ve tried. I think it’s pretty good. I’ve only used it on burgers. The other Kinder’s rub I’ve tried is their Buttery Steakhouse rub. Again, I’ve only used it on burgers so far. It doesn’t smell great in the bottle but tastes good after it’s been cooked on a burger. I like the Steak Blend better of those two.

I bought Kinder’s Woodfired Garlic Seasoning yesterday. I had seen it in the supermarket but figured it was just smoked garlic salt. There’s more to it than that, and it smells really nice. Looking forward to trying that one.

2 Likes

I love hot dogs and consider myself somewhat of a hot dog aficionado. I’ve been doing my research for 70+ years. This is what I believe are absolute truths:
No amount or quality of condiments can make a crappy hot dog acceptable. Buy quality!
There are two basic types of hot dogs in my area, All Beef Kosher style and Beef and Pork Frankfurters. They can be skinless or natural casing. For my tastes All Beef are too smoky and garlicky so they must be boiled/simmered first to leech out some of that strong flavor (think how good Sabrett
'dirty water" hot dogs are in NYC). They can then be eaten as is or further cooked on a grill or griddle. Beef and pork frankfurters should be cooked as is using dry heat, no hot water cooking. I’m a griddle man now. Used to grill them but now cook on a cast iron griddle. Mustard only, maybe a little sauerkraut.

8 Likes

Interesting. I went 0 for 15 on that list but would eat almost all the versions in the Food Republic guide.

1 Like

This topic has reminded me that the 3 chain supermarkets I frequent (South OC, CA) have all stopped carrying natural casing hot dogs. Two had Nathan’s until maybe 3,years ago, but now there are none at all. They carry several national brands (including Nathan’s) but nothing with natural casing. Disappointing!!

3 Likes

Love Fork in the Road dogs! I buy them at our local Whole foods (Marin county, CA).

1 Like

We buy hotdogs by the pound at Carney’s on Sunset in LA, they have some serious snap and we boil/steam em. You can grill em too. You can get the buns and chili there too for the complete home experience (dogs and chili freeze ez). Not too pricy don’t have the number off the top of my head. My personal opinion is that these are the best dogs in LA.

8351 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90069

Another spot in SoCal that has really good dogs, their own recipe supposedly, and large (and smaller version) is Nate N Als in BH. The hotdog plate with baked beans is really solid, or just put the baked beans in the dog bun if you are heathen. I like a quarter of one of their half sour pickles laid down the side of the bun with raw onions also. Not super cheap. Can also get them at their deli counter by the lb.

414 N Beverly Dr, Beverly Hills

4 Likes