Hot Dogs!

A hot dog in North America should be a frankfurter or wiener in terms of shape and diameter, but some hot dogs are thicker than others.

Choripan / South American sausage on a bun sometimes uses hot dogs/wieners/Frankfurters, even though the word comes from chorizo.

Sure, I will say what you describe counts.

I like less barriers.

I often do split my hot dogs in half if I fry them in a pan.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried Kinder’s chili seasoning, but I’ve purchased 4 of their bbq sauces and 2 of their rubs. My opinions on those run from pleased to very pleased. I’d expect their chili seasoning to be a good product.

2 Likes

I checked the websites of my local supermarkets for Miller’s. No luck.

Kroger’s Private Selection beef hot dogs are what I usually buy. There’s also a Private Selection brisket hot dog which I haven’t had in a while but is also good.

1 Like

That list is missing this one from Taiwan.

3 Likes

I make flower hot dog buns for every occasion that calls for appetizers. Everyone loves them

1 Like

Oh, and don’t forget my Really Different Hot Dog Post from back in February.

3 Likes

I had a lovely version from a LaLa bakehouse in Toronto.

1 Like

Tunnbrödsrulle

I love this (at least as I’ve approximated at home). Someday, I hope to eat one in Sweden!

4 Likes

Neat! Thanks for the link!

1 Like

Hooray for the Tunnbrödsrulle! That’s a great article; I’ll have to check out the rest of the site. It’s been almost a decade since I got into these - ticked off that so many people were poo-pooing the idea without trying it. I thought it was supposed to come out like a taco for some reason; took me some time to pick up on the wrap idea. I wound up using a very large thin pita from a Lebanese bakery.

And I had to have some of the shrimp salad (which my distant cousin in Stockholm says is controversial, like ketchup in the US).

2 Likes

I can’t tolerate smoked flavored foods. About 12 years out from chemotherapy and the aversion has not disappeared. My husband found a local grocery store Stop and Shop brand called “Nature’s Promise” and so I’m grateful to be able to enjoy hotdogs again, although we don’t eat them often. Yellow mustard, chopped onions, sweet relish or sauerkraut are my go to toppings. Never any ketchup!

2 Likes

I don’t like smokey flavour in my hot dogs or other meats. I never have. No medical reason.

The only things I like smoked are fish and oysters.

2 Likes

The shrimp salad is awesome on it. Totally recommend that version!

I really miss smoked fish. I can eat gravlax. My husband fishes on Cape Cod and he smokes bluefish in his green Big Egg but I can’t eat that anymore, either. The chemo did something to my stomach that even had my oncologist puzzled. He said usually those things are temporary. I have to read labels very carefully - no chipotle, no smoked flavoring, no bacon. I have to ask for restaurants to omit paprika garnish on Cole slaw because it is often smokey… I can’t go near a BBQ place. Makes me sad…

1 Like

Obligatory mention of the $1.50 hot dogs at Costco, with obligatory mourning of their discontinuation of Polish sausage, and sauerkraut. A local diner does a fine chili cheese dog.

6 Likes

We had them from a Chinese bakery on Avenue U in Brooklyn several years ago. I knew it was one of the few things in that bakery that I could easily replicate and save us the 2 hr round trip.

2 Likes

I had one in Stockholm–can’t remember if I had shrimp salad on it or not. I remember that it was insanely big, and that I was sober when I ate it (which is probably not quite when one would normally be having one).

4 Likes

When I lived in Queens, there was a Chilean bakery not far from me that made completos–my introduction to the baroque South American styles. Once was enough.

I’ve also had salchipapas, but IMO that’s an entree rather than a sandwich.

4 Likes

I’m a major hot dog fan, and my husband likes them but also loves burgers. Do you think Shoestring would be worth an 2+ hour drive from our house? We are well-known for going on day trips to try new food places. It doesn’t have to be the best ever, just good. Thanks.

Columbian choriperros - from a walk-up stand that was once a Checkers, I think. Crushed potato chips and pineapple syrup. There are other purveyors here but so far, once has been enough.

In the little Guatemala neighborhood there are more tamale trucks than you can shake a stick at, breakfast stands, late night stands. One listed a Guatemelan Shuco dog on the menu but I never caught it open. The shuco is like a cross between a sub sandwich and a hot dog, with multiple meats, including more than one sausage. Some are big enough to take home and slice up to feed a whole family.

3 Likes