Heroic Italian [San Francisco, Castro]

I had a sandwich for lunch today on an unseasonably warm afternoon from Heroic Italian, inside the Swirl wine shop in the Castro. The first Bay Area outpost of an LA restaurant. More info from Eater SF here.

I had the OMG - Italian Prosciutto, Spicy Salami, Capocollo, Mortadella, Porchetta, Smoked Mozzarella, Roasted Artichoke spread, Olive spread roasted tomatoes, lettuce, house-made Giardiniera, yellow mustard, Black Truffle Infused mayo and shredded lettuce ($17)

You can order through their website to-go or also through a QR code on one of the menus on the tables outside (which were matched to the table, high tech).

A really nice Italian combo type sandwich. The bread for all of Heroic Italian’s sandwiches is made by the folks at local pinseria Montesacro Pinseria, and it’s light and airy with a crispy crackling crust. All of the various cured meats inside were sliced paper thin and tasted very good. The sandwich was served slightly warmed. Shredded iceberg lettuce provided some crunch. Note for purists - there is mayonnaise (and various spreads) in this sandwich rather than oil and vinegar. I’m not a purist so I dug it. Also note that it is not a huge sandwich by any measure, perfect size for me today though. Went great with a glass of white wine from Swirl (which you have to order inside separately from the counter). Forgot to write down what it was though.

11 Likes

I’m always impressed by sandwich makers who can remember all the Dagwood-number of fillings.

Looks fantastic, but how do you get it in your mouth?!

3 Likes

Ha - good one!

1 Like

We also like Heroic Italian — their bread from Montesacro is fantastic — having gotten it to go a few times during the more lockdown times. This is an OMG to go from January that we took up to the Randall Museum to eat. I’m not the biggest fan of Italian combo sandwiches but while the OMG has a lot of different ingredients, they’re used more sparingly than the giant stacks of sliced meats like some places. My gf gets their veg options and we both like those as well. Definitely worth a visit if you’re in the area and want a sandwich (or want to get out of the house for a long walk after being locked down for months!).

And as Mr. Happy said, they’re actually not that big of a sandwich and are easily eaten.

5 Likes