Harvey decimated Galveston Bay's oyster beds

Is my math stupid or is that 3 dollars a dozen? I’m gonna have to call in sick on a Monday.

1 Like

Indeedy! I have only missed one Monday since it started!

1 Like

I stopped by Blue Horizon yesterday. They had some ‘appellation’ oysters on display; I thought I’d remember the name but I can’t - didn’t recognize it so assumed they weren’t from around here. $1.25 each, in the shell. I just wanted some oysters to make Vuelve a la Vida so I went to the big Fiesta on Kirby. I don’t think the new owners have redone it as much as they have some of the older stores I’ve been too but it’s a very nice store. A small but very busy seafood department. They had Jeri’s oysters in the coffin box type coolers, help yourself, 8 oz, 16 oz and I guess half gallon tubs. I got a pint for $9.99 which is what i think I was paying last year at the late HEB on S. Braeswood. Apparently there isn’t a shortage. Jeri’s is in Anahuac and I think I remember reading their beds are in Trinity Bay. They’re pretty good oysters. So good I’ve barely been able to force myself to save a few for the Coctel.

@jcostiones - I saw their smoked turkey legs, in a grab-n-go hot display case near the front and in the hot deli next to the seafood dept. Also their smoked sausage which looks pretty good. However, I bought a Bunuelo, about 8" around. Everybody knows bunuelos are more nutritious and better for you than smoked turkey legs or sausage :yum:.

Their churros looked pretty good too.

1 Like

Everybody except me. What’s a bunuelo?

And what’s a Blue Horizon?

1 Like

Upscale, small seafood market in The Village. I had bought some Matagorda Bay oysters there in the past.

Sorry. I have trouble remembering the names of different styles of pan dulce; don’t know why I should think others do know them.

At Fiesta it’s a very, very, very flaky pastry dusted with cinnamon and sugar. I was being facetious about it being more nutritious.

This is the closest pic I found on the web, from McCormick:

I didn’t realize it was mainly a Christmas pastry.

No syrup for the ones at Fiesta.

Merry Christmas everyone.

2 Likes

Feliz Navidad amigos!

3 Likes

…and Merry Christmas to all.

3 Likes

I hope you all get everything your heart desires.

4 Likes

I’ve already got it, The Wifeacita!

3 Likes

:heart: :heart: :honeybee: Sweet!

1 Like

Merry Christmas!! To all you hungryonions.

3 Likes

Matagorda Bay oysters are alive and well. The Wifeacita and I ate right at 40 from Fountain View Fish Market tonight in a shockingly short amount of time.

They were nice sized, perfectly fried, and absolutely delicious. Heaven on a plastic plate.

2 Likes

Did you leave any for the rest of us???

1 Like

Not a crumb, literally!

We could have fed on more oysters, not crumbs.

1 Like

I misspoke, there would not have been a crumb left.

I’m a bit concerned about Mr. Hiu, the owner. He was next door at the dress shop they own.

His niece said he was tired and he didn’t look his normal self.

She was running the place and was quite the dynamo serving, cleaning, and being sure the staff didn’t overcook the food, her words.

She is incredible and I hope everything is ok there.

Um. Sorry to hear that.

At CM I saw Connecticut Blue Points and Malpeques in the shell (don’t remember the price) and shucked Gulf (or was it Texas Gulf?) and shucked Pacific oysters, both $9.99 a lb I think. Didn’t buy any.

Went to J&J last week to get some Jeri’s. The containers weren’t labeled so I asked. Apparently I was talking to the owner and he likes to talk. He said they’re from Jeri’s, that’s all they’ve carried for at least 30 years, but Jeri’s won’t deliver to them anymore (drivers complained of his small parking lot) so they have to go to their wholesaler to buy them, they get them in bulk and package them themselves.

Oysters I bought at FIesta/Kirby recently were in containers with the Jeri’s label.

Something I’m keeping an eye on - Lotus’ parking lot has not been full lately several times when I’ve gone by. It’s always been packed, for years. Wondering what’s going on. Don’t see anything online about a change of ownership or anything.

9.99 a pound. Buy them. Every last one.

1 Like

Tee-hee-hee. Mebbe I read the sign wrong :blush:.