Greek Taverna of Lincroft , (Formally Stamna of Lincroft) New Jersey......................

Thought this might be of interest to you…

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/bfs/5800280747.html

What a location!

Perfectly sited for the next hell fire, typhoon, coastal flood, gubernatorial speech, or other unspecified retributive Act of God.

Nice !

PS. I would place a big bounty poster for Snooki and the rest of those idiots in the front window.

Anything more on the “sale” of Nikos?

Nope, I didn’t take it any further than this post.

Do you think they are serious?

Well if you open a Greek restaurant let me know. I can cook all the traditional Greek foods & I’m not afraid of hard work. I kinda like odd hours too. We have a small food manufacturing business (I hate to call it that) but my last restaurant experience was a FF joint at the end of college.

Generally owners don’t like to publicize their restaurant is for sale because people might tend to stop dining there thinking your letting things go if you are trying to get out. Since this was a post on Craigslist I assume it’s sincere because that’s as public domain as you find on the internet.

Yeah, but usually wouldn’t you go to a business broker and not publicize the sale to minimize that risk?

Plus you meet a lot of really strange people selling things on CL.

I think the qualification for CL is that you have to be two standard deviations outside the norm.

That’s exactly why I assume it’s real, why the hell else would you use CL except to avoid paying any broker fees.

Yep. Just seems a little desperate/unusual to me.

I’m guessing we will be down a Greek place by November.

I picked up a ribeye tonight at nikos. It’s been a while but it was good to be back. I had a craving for some olives. As you can tell, the bread and olives here easily housed by the time the streak arrived :slight_smile:

Did you inquire about the for sale posting?

Lemon with rib eye, that is so Greek. Lots of EVO too I’ll bet, and a kiss of oregano.

1 Like

No jr…didn’t even know about it. I must say, I’m a big fan of that toasted bread and their olives. I’m wishing I had some now as I ponder where to eat.

FINALLY made it to the Lincroft location before seeing Pat Metheny at the Count Basie tonight. Folks, this is where you want to eat when you’re going to a show–not at the many mediocre spots in RB! For starters, it’s 1.5 miles down Newman Springs Road west of the GSP. Couldn’t be easier, imo. Parking is easy, and the food just makes me so happy, I can honestly say I’m now in trouble as I come south down the Parkway on my way home…

For those who haven’t read this entire thread, I’ve been going to the Stamna location in Bloomfield (on the Montclair border) for many years. I moved down the shore 1.5 years ago (!) and I can honestly say that Stamna is the restaurant I’ve missed the most. It was my go-to for dates, for weeknight dinners with friends, summer meals outside, and even for birthday lunches and dinners (some in their back room, some just big tables of friends). So I sort of freaked out when they announced they were coming down this way! I’m embarrassed to say it took me this long to get there, but now that I have…

We had all of my favorite mezze, which is my preferred way to eat at Stamna. Small Greek salad (enough for the 3 of us), loukanikos (sausage that’s simply fantastic), gigantes (the best beans you’ll ever have–creamy goodness in tomato sauce), grilled octopus, imam (eggplant–at the request of one of my friends), and a side of their lemon potatoes. We passed on dessert but were brought a plate of the Greek version of fried dough in syrup and cinnamon on the house. It was exactly what we needed, although I loooove their Galaktoboureko, which is phyllo dough filled with custard and worth EVERY calorie. :blush:

It was the perfect amount of food for the three of us (we left full but not uncomfortable), along with a bottle of wine (they’re BYO, which is why they don’t serve mediocre food!). I can’t stress how terrific this place is, so if you’ve been meaning to try, PLEASE GO! It wasn’t nearly as busy as I would hope on a Sunday night, but there were also a couple of big football games on today. Still, there was one very large party + a few other tables while we were there.

I’m going to start a separate thread to plan a HOdown, as I feel a personal need to expose more HOs to the wonders of legit Greek food. I got hooked thanks to their other location, so I’d love to do the same for some of you!

http://www.stamnataverna.com/lincroft-menu.php

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder I really do have to make it a point to give them a try. I / we probably go to either Greek Eats or The Greek Spot once a week, most recently at the Greek Spot on Saturday. Stamna is closer to home but tucked away as it is it’s out of sight out of mind.

That’s exactly why I wanted to push the crew on these boards to go! It’s really good and AUTHENTIC. I’d love for them to succeed in this location!

1 Like

need to try this place- can’t get enough Greek food. Wanted to try it in Dec but wife killed the deal when we got there and not a soul in the place at 6PM on a Sat…so we went down the lot to Luigi’s instead.

This is exactly why WE need to get in there! When we arrived last night there was only one other table, but a huge (10-14 people) group came in after 6, as did 1-2 other tables. The 4-top that was finishing when we arrived couldn’t say enough (to the waiter) about how good it was and how they’d be back and back a lot. I think we just need to get the word out that it’s worth trying, even if the place isn’t bustling (YET). @Metsfan86 did you see my post about a group dinner? Hopefully you’ll join us!

Went to Stamna Saturday night.
It was good, but not great.
I judge a Greek restaurant by the tzatziki - for me, the level of garlic (can never be enough) in the Tzatziki confirms the true nature of the place. ANd then there’s the taramosalata. Also, can’t be too salty, but full flavour.
So, in my mind, the tzatziki was good, but not great.
Had the souvlaki - good flavor properly done, and the fish - also nicely done, well presented, filleted for me, as I can’t deal with doing it myself and dealing with the bones.
Avgolemono soup - also, missing some of that striking lemon flavour that takes it far away from chicken soup to avgolemono.

Overall, good, not great. Still looking for that “great” in this part of NJ.