FYI: A useful Reddit thread [MA]

trawling through Reddit, I found a recent thread where the question asked foreign born people of Boston to point out the sources of their native cuisines. I thought I’d mention it just because there seems to be a fair bit of useful info there, though some of it extends beyond Boston. Still, I was happy to find out about the Filipino market in Worcester where some lady brings sinigang on Saturdays! Also the Mexican convenience store in Revere, that there’s an NC Barbecue place in Lowell run by ex North Carolinians, Chau Bakery in Dorchester which had escaped me completely, a Colombian bakery in Maverick Square, Mulu Ethiopian in Malden, the fact that Walnut Market in Newton gets St. Viateur bagels shipped in from Montreal…

Anyway, I had fun reading it and managed to add to my list of spots to go to. Maybe you’ll like it too: Foreign-born people of Boston, what is the best source for your native cuisine?

10 Likes

Awesome! Looks like a thread I need to check out when I get time.

I think the BBQ place in Lowell is Mill City? Clearly I need to raise my takeout game.

1 Like

Walnut Market in Newton Highlands gets loads of international foods, not just the delicious (but very pricy, $11 for 6) St Viateur bagels.

4 Likes

yep, that’s the one.

2 Likes

Also some years back they carried Montreal smoked meat, don’t know if they still do. A tasty occasional treat back when my vet was nearby.

1 Like

The original owner did sell the store. I’m not sure if the new owner still does the smoked meat or not. I never bought it as it was super expensive.

honestly, I have been getting my NY bagels mail order from Ess-a-Bagel or Utopia in Queens and they tend to cost me more than this!

2 Likes

Thanks for the post! Very interesting read.

2 Likes

I generally get bagels at Cafe Bagel in Needham, but my wife loves the Montreal style, so I get those every 3-4 times I get bagels.

1 Like

I particularly like that you lump this in with foreign-born people. I do sometimes feel like the south is a foreign nation.

2 Likes

Lol. And many Southeners must feel that way about us Yankees. I have 3 nephews who were born and bred in the South (Alabama, North Carolina) and they sometimes look at me as if I had 3 heads when I talk about stuff that is normal to me.

2 Likes

haha, it wasn’t me. it was the guy from NC who responded to the question!

1 Like

I was born in NC and lived there until I left for college. Yes, it is a foreign nation. However, I do love NC barbecue.

4 Likes