For Fried Rice Aficionados...

This recipe: https://scottinpollock.us/shrimp.html is one of my all time favs, and I usually do it at least once a month. But I usually end up with leftovers… where I would reheat/crisp the shrimp in my Flash Express toaster oven and reheat the rice in the microwave. And while it is still good the next day or two… it is nowhere near as good as day one.

Since I usually keep pineapple in the fridge or freezer (which I think would complement the shrimp nicely), I am thinking that doing the leftovers in a “pineapple fried rice” would be a better use of the leftovers.

Stuff I usually have on hand that may apply are onions, garlic, celery, ginger, citrus, frozen peas, eggs, soy sauce, sesame seeds, rice vinegar, and other typical spices and condiments. Problem is that every recipe I have for fried rice pretty much starts with the protein (which I already have a pretty delicate one already cooked - that I ideally would like to reheat/crisp up without drying out/overcooking during the process).

So any suggestions on a method/recipe to do this would be most welcome (and appreciated)!

4 Likes

This is the best fried rice I have made. https://thewoksoflife.com/crab-fried-rice/

4 Likes

@Phoenikia has what looks like a good recipe, crab is similar since you’re just folding it in at the end. Any recipe should be fine if you just omit the protein stage and fold in prior to serving. My only deviation would be the complete mixing of the egg (I prefer the well method) but that’s a whole nother debate!

3 Likes

OK I did the following today with the leftovers:

1.) A little over a cup of the leftover white rice, settling to room temp.

2.) Set the leftover shrimp (About 1/3 lb. as I ate 2/3 of it last night over two servings - which is pretty much the norm for this dish - yum!), covered over medium/low heat.

3.) Put about a quarter cup frozen peas in a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce.

4.) Heated a tablespoon of EVOO over medium heat and after a shimmer, added 1/3 cup of thinly sliced onion with a pinch of kosher salt, and then a clove of minced garlic. Once fragrant, added a bit more oil and then one egg, stirring until scrambled.

5.) Added the rice, stirring for a minute or two.

5.) Added the peas/soy mixture for a minute or so.

6.) Then added about a quarter/third cup fresh pineapple chunks and the heated shrimp, stirred for about two minutes and served.

One good sized portion… and yum!

3 Likes