foods to eat in [Kansas, Independence] and [Oklahoma, Tulsa]

Asking for a friend. Told him to seek out BBQ and pie. Thanks for any tips!

Mains at Stoney’s Grub and Pub in Independence

Caseys Creations Bakery & Deli (pie!)

Caseys Creations IG

Also, what should he order at Sonic?

Let me work on this. How soon?
And why those 2 burgs?
Is he flying to Joplin or Tulsa?
Inquiring minds.
BTW Dickeys is a chain.
You’re sure he didn’t mean Independence Missouri.

1 Like

He is flying into Tulsa then driving to Independence for work, and staying a few days, then driving back to Tulsa to fly home.

No rush- it’ll be a good reference.

Even chain BBQ is a treat for Canadians.

Definitely Independence, KS.

1 Like

I have friends down that way.
This guy looks pretty cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

Cool, thanks!

Looks like Independence is far away from Bierock Country!

Nothing. Seriously.

2 Likes

LOL. I’ve never been.

Food, I agree with MGG.
But drinks are worth a visit, especially at happy hour.

1 Like

I think I had a cherry or some other red Sonic slushie on my wishlist

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks!
I am fb friends with 2 Tulsa Chowhounds, and one was my Secret Santa a while back. She sent me some fancy coffee and hot sauces from Tulsa.

There’s a webpage on the Cheese Wench site, called Tasting Oklahoma, with YouTube videos featuring Oklahoman restaurants that isn’t linking properly.

1 Like

Onion burgers should be #1 on his list.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve heard Hank’s is the place for onion burgers in Tulsa. I think Burn Co. BBQ and Stutt’s are the places for barbecue. Many years ago I had a steak at Spudder’s.

In Kansas I’d go for a steak or Mexican. Never been to Independence. Ask a firefighter or cop where they eat once you get there

1 Like
2 Likes

I always liked the onion rings at Sonic.

2 Likes

There’s Murphy’s in Bartlesville, not even an hour North of Tulsa on the way to Independence.

2 Likes

Kenji agrees:

Humans have been cooking meat with onions for at least as long as recipes have been recorded, but I’d argue that the combination was simplified to its primal core during the Great Depression, when Homer Davis and his son Ross invented what they called the Depression burger at the Hamburger Inn in El Reno, Okla.

By smashing shaved onion — a half-onion’s worth per burger — into a few ounces of ground beef, they not only offered his customers a better value in their five-cent hamburger. They also inadvertently created a sandwich that, like pizza margherita or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I consider a culinary endpoint: a creation so perfect in its simplicity that it cannot be improved upon, only tweaked.

3 Likes