Florida board

Interested in starting the board? Please register your interest here:

The purpose of this thread is to connect folks from this geo so they know 1) there is mutual interest in building up the board and 2) that if one start posting there will be others who join in at the same time, to avoid the ‘are there others here?’ syndrome.

You may say, well why not just start posting? Please do that too, but please comment your interest in this thread as well. The problem is that if interested user A post a review on the 1st. Interested User B sees the review on the 15th, doesn’t comment. Interested user C sees the review on the 30th, doesn’t comment. Users A, B, and C may all individually think that there is minimal interest in such a board.

But if users A, B, and C all express their interest in this thread and start talking around the same time, we can avoid the problem of ‘the illusion of lack of interest due to time lag in interested users coming onto the site.’

A post was merged into an existing topic: Interested in a FL, NOLA or other regional board?

Happy to start a Fl board with tech help.

Please let’s not split it into Miami Ft Laud/Rest of Fl which the Powers That Be killed on the other site. We travel further than 50 miles to eat in S Fl, no biggie to ride/drive an hour + for a restaurant or location. I live in Palm Beach County and can ride my Harley 200 miles for lunch, come home and go 40 miles for dinner in the other direction.

Anyway I digress …

4 Likes

I’m also very interested in FL board. So thrilled to find this site, and hope to make it everything CH was to me. I’m in Tampa, btw, and have much to say about emerging food scene here.

2 Likes

Recent transplant to Orlando, and I am definitely interested in growing the FL boards! (I also have no problem traveling throughout the state, so I don’t think splitting boards is necessary)

2 Likes

Yes, please keep it as a single board!

Always happy to talk about food and cooking and eating, including sourcing good ingredients. CSAs, coops, farms, markets, etc. are all on our radar.

We are under some (hopefully) temporary budget constraints, so big dinners out are not a thing right now - but hopefully will be again soon!

I’m in the Tampa area, too .

3 Likes

It has been too long since I lived in Florida but I do enjoy following my friends who still live and work there.

1 Like

Florida board has my vote!

3 Likes

I’ll be on the Gulf Coast (Indian Shores, just west of Tampa, south of Clearwater) Jan thru March & would love to hear about Tampa places to add to my Bern’s dinners. Same with St Pete, Tarpon Springs, etc.

I don’t eat out as much as my wife would like but we had dinner at Ulele in Tampa recently after a play. This is a new venture from the Gozmarts of the Columbia restaurant. I liked it.

Fish centric, which is okay by me, but my pompano and my wife’s snapper dishes were both very good. We are returning with friends soon. Says a lot from me.

I’ve yet to hear anything but wonderful things about Ulele (even from people whose norm is to nitpick)

Thanks all. Looks like we got 5 so far. Let’s see if we can get to 10-15 folks.

1 Like

Another Floridian here. In Tarpon Springs our favorite place is Rusty Belly’s. It’s a terrific spot for a casual seafood dinner, especially the grouper, always fresh.

It’s past the sponge docks at the very end of Dodecanese. It attracts lots of local boat people in addition to tourists. It’s our go-to spot after a day on the water. No one minds that we’re a little salty and dressed in flip-flops and covered swimwear. If the weather’s fine, sit outside for the best views of the river.

Duffy

2 Likes

Do you think it would make sense to carve out the Keys as their own board? I’m just thinking from the tourist perspective.

As someone who has recently visited the state as a tourist, staying in several locations over our three week hoiiday, may I suggest not splitting it up.

I say this because any split has nominal borders which may make sense to locals but tourists generally do not have that same sense of geography.

4 Likes

Actually, that is why I thought the Keys may be best served by their own board. Tourist to Key West are not likely to venture all the way up to the mainland.

But within the Fla board you could search Keys and get posts and recs. I never saw the benefit of splitting the state on CH.

Best fried chicken n Fla might get you Yardbird in Miami. If you searched best fried chicken in Pinellas hopefully Yardbird would not be the first hit given the data submitted from other regions but you never know

Seems to me that if your search is specific enough you should get what you’re looking for if its out there.

2 Likes

No no no, please don’t split the Florida board up. Key Largo is only about half an hour from Miami, even from Delray Beach where I live, I frequently ride my motorcycle to Islamorada, Marathon and Key Largo for breakfast or lunch. I’ve even done Key West and back in one day. We like to read the recommendations for the Keys.

Also, tourists often post up questions like where to eat in Miami and The Keys, or where to stop on our way from Palm Beach to KW. Then they won’t know where to post those questions.

One board please. We are a long state but narrow so it’s not a major hassle to drive or ride 2 hours or more to eat, coast to coast for most of us is 2 hours. Us South Floridians travel far and wide for restaurant recommendations, we have kids in college in Gainsville and Tallahassee (4 hours and 7 hours drive) and no way to get there but by car so we stop to eat and love the recommendations.

3 Likes

I must say I much much more frequently get a request (in other cases) to carve a state up than I do to keep a state together. So this has been an interesting read.

Regardless, the question of whether we should be carving FL up is a long way out, to me, given I don’t think we have enough people here yet (unless all of you are super prolific) to carve FL the state out from SE…

1 Like

please don’t – those of us who live here have enough stuff that’s set up for the tourist perspective.

and while some folks do fly directly into Key West, the vast majority of tourists get there from the Mainland – even the ones who go by ferry start in Ft Myers… the rest drive from at least Miami. The ones arriving of the cruise ships probably aren’t going to have more than a meal or two off the boat, if that.

And as others have said, the geography of the state means that a lot of the state is accessible as a day trip (or weekend getaway), so while the rest of us might laugh about Miami, the reality is that splitting a part of the state off into a separate board just sets up boundaries that don’t actually exist.

3 Likes