Drew's Bayshore Bistro..............Keyport, NJ

The last one was a couple of years ago. They happened to call me and asked me if I was interested, and of course I was :grin: He also usually posts them on his Facebook page. Below is the menu from the one I went to on June 9, 2016. It was $70.00 and included a bottle of each of the hot sauces served during each course (5 bottles total). It was a real bargain.
1st:
‘Tortilla Soup’
Smokehaus Salsa, Pork Shoulder
Fire Roasted Corn & Poblanos, Tortilla Crisps
Pickled Red Onion, Cilantro, Avocado, Cotija, Lime
*Medium Heat with Fire Roasted Tomato, Vidalia Onion, Chipotle & Spices

2nd:
Navajo Smokehaus Taco
Smokehaus Blues Marinated Beef Shortrib
Navajo Frybread, Refried Beans
Imperial Apple BBQ Sauce, Traditional Garnishes
*Medium Heat with Tomatoes, Chipotle Chiles, Garlic & Spices

3rd:
‘Reaper Of Crawfish’
Reaper Of Sorrow, Crawfish Tails, Garlic, Butter
White Wine, Pimiento Cheese Grits Cake

• Hot - Made with the Carolina Reaper Chile - The Hottest in the World

4th:
‘Ghost Of Nashville’
Ghost Of Ancho Infused Nashville Hot Chicken
Jalapeño Cornbread Waffle, Ancho Honey
*Hot - Made With Habanero, Ancho & Bhut Jolokia, or ‘Ghost Chiles’

Dessert:
‘Smokin’ Pineapple’
Smokin’ Pineapple Sauce, Poblano Gelato
Chipotle-Pineapple Blondie

• Mild Made With Fresh Pineapple

Wowzers! If you hear anything about any new events, please keep us posted. That menu looked intense! Have you been to clementines? I know you’re up north, but I hear good things and I know you eat well. It is definitely a long hike for you.

One of these decades I may have to sign up for facebook, or whatever the kids are using these days lol

1 Like

Will do.

No, I haven’t been to Clementine’s, but it looks awesome. It’s a shame it’s so far away from us. The Cajun menu is right up our alley, especially with Mrs. P being from New Orleans.

1 Like

It is one of those places that has been on my radar for a while. I think @bgut1 is a fan iirc. He likes a lot of the same style food I like, so I’m anxious to try it one of these “years” lol

I had no idea Mrs p was a Cajun! Good stuff

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Old Glory (Keyport NJ)

It’s that time of year where the days are shorter, there’s a crispness in the air, I need to switch to my insulated toupee’, all of which means it’s Drews weather!!

Made reservations last week and all they had available was 5pm or 9 so we opted for the later. Arrived just before 9pm and were seated. Place was packed, glad to see business is holding up well for him.

I’ve been openly critical of the service and lack of what I feel is FOH supervision but I’m happy to report there were no service issues or delays the night went very smoothly. Honestly I don’t know if there was a turnover in staff but a few of the faces I had grown accustom to over the years I didn’t see, could just be scheduling I don’t know.

Apps: Fried chicken skin, voodoo shrimp, Cesar salad. Everything was excellent, the chicken skin was ridiculously good, the salad though was an unusually small portion, especially for Drew’s.

Entrees: 2 seared scallops with corn risotto, shrimp and grits and fried chicken with biscuits and county gravy (mine). The scallops were HUGE and the corn risotto was delicious, no complaints were heard on the shrimp and grits. My chicken was excellent, the biscuits were a bit heavy vs flakey but I was surprised by the lack of country gravy. I expected the dish to be heavily covered with country gravy instead it was lightly drizzled. (see below) No matter it was delicious and I could only finish half.

All in all an excellent night at Drew’s, well worth the inconvenience of pulling out the heavy toupee for the trip, I look forward to my next visit.

3 Likes

Damn it Jr, you and Eli now have me going to Drews to try these chicken skins and you know I’m on a diet lol.

Those scallops do look big! Nice looking dish.

Those huge crispy chicken skins with that mustard sauce are worth the trip alone :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Now I muuuuust go’

2 Likes

We had our first Saturday night dinner at Drew’s, since he closed on Sundays. It was well worth the drive through the nasty rain. The place was full by 6PM.
We started off with a great special appetizer of roast local beet bruschetta with herb goat cheese on grilled country bread. It came with a salad of baby spinach, frisee, pickled red onion, toasted hazelnuts, with a cane syrup vinaigrette.

We also had the always amazing New Orleans style broiled oysters with garlic parmesan, and parsley butter.
Chef Mark also very generously comped us with an order of sautéed PEI mussels with garlic, shallots, parsley, white wine, butter, and some grilled focaccia to soak up that awesome sauce.

Mrs. P had the Nashville hot chicken with jalapeño cole slaw, jalapeño corn bread, hot sauce and cool ranch dressing. This was an appetizer special that they were kind enough to turn into an entree. It contained the crispy and juicy dark meat thighs, which were much more flavorful than the white breast meat that it used to be served with.
I had a great special of braised Colorado lamb ragu with fresh cavatelli, black pepper parmesan, and herb oil. It was loaded with tender pulled lamb.

7 Likes

Drew had some excellent specials tonight.
Jamaican Jerk marinated pork tenderloin, roast Autumn squash salad, and chocolate bread pudding among other things. Everything went well with an outstanding 2012 Chateau Montelena cabernet.

image image image

6 Likes

Nice! Looking good Eli. Does Mrs p have any preferred jerk rub? This season I picked up a variety package of Seasonest soul seasoning on amazon prime and it had one of their jerk bottles. I thought it was solid and the variety package on prime was well worth the price.

I have a reservation for the 11th so I’m lookin forward to it. I need to try those chicken skins if they are on the menu.

Here is a quick question. I have asked here several times on various threads and I haven’t gotten a solid answer. Maybe no one knows. What is an organic Scottish salmon? It should say wild or leave off the “wild” and people can gather it is farm raised. If a fish is farm raised and fed organic pellets, does that mean you can classify it organic? I’m not trying to bust balls here but it is a serious question.

Maybe one day drew will chime in and say hello to some of his biggest fans, including me. Lol

It’s funny…my company pays out the nose for these consulting firms and advertising all day long. I wish I had a place to get free exposure and free advice from some repeat customers and potential new clientele.

2 Likes

Thanks cj. We used to get Grandpa Eddie’s Jamaican jerk sauce which we found at some food festivals. It was extremely spicy and contained scotch bonnet peppers. I don’t know if it’s around any more.
I talked to Drew today and told him you had an upcoming reservation and were looking forward to it.

Below is a link to some FAQs on organic salmon.

http://marineharvestireland.com/product/about-marine-harvest-ireland-organic-salmon/

Thanks for the link. Yeah I am excited to get back…can’t wait.

Great pictures as usual. One correction to your post however, the bread pudding was Toll House Breading Pudding and not chocolate (though there appears to be a lot of chocolate in it). The only reason I know this is that I was there this weekend and Drew ran out before I was able to order one. No worries as the Funny Bone and Pecan Tart were perfect ways to end the excellent meal.

1 Like

Thanks for the correction bgut1. Drew actually comped the dessert to us. I was in the bathroom getting ready to leave when they brought it over, so I didn’t get the actual description of the dessert. It was delicious though. Have you ever tried Drew’s SCCPT (salty chocolate caramel pretzel tart)? That’s one of my favorites. Were you there Saturday night? If yes, it’s too bad we didn’t get to meet.

2 Likes

Is it just me or does anyone else think a winter HODown at Drew’s might be in order?

3 Likes

Key word; “winter”, If so I’m in!!!

Let’s do this