Does the world need this????

I saw this on Facebook and immediately dismissed it. In my opinion cracking eggs is pretty much basic cooking 101, you shouldn’t be left a lone in a kitchen if you can’t get beyond successful egg cracking. (I’m not even saying one handed, two handed is perfectly acceptable) This is just my humble opinion. I do see merit in the egg yolk separation attachment, however I have a feeling keeping it perfectly even is the key and most people might be tilted causing the yolk to miss the basket thingy.

What’s the HO collective opinion? Does the world really need this gadget??

1 Like

I have seen this. The short answer is: yes.

For that person who has everything else…

Sure. Why not. If you go ick over touching eggs, have a hand tremor or lousy luck egg cracking who am I to stop you.

1 Like

No.

And you could say the same for many gadgets.

But look on the bright side. Making these sort of things provides vital employment in the wrold’s impoverished countries. And what else are we going to put at the back of the drawr/cupboard - it’ll just be unused space otherwise.

2 Likes

It may be useful in certain instances. For most able-bodied folks - no. I see the in-the-shell scrambler as a handy item for people who have hand issues.

Slightly off topic - the auditions for the person who kept getting eggshell in her food must have been hysterical! I can just hear the director “No, No, you just aren’t conveying the horror of it…”

4 Likes

I actually have one of those. Came in a box of random items from Woot.com they call a Bag of Crap. Never actually tried it out, maybe I’ll have to retrieve it from the junk drawer and see how it works.

5 Likes

I love gadgets, so I vote two thumbs up. That scrambled in the shell thing is weird tho.

1 Like

I was thinking about iPhone (by the way, I personally like iPhone. I was just speaking in an objective manner).

Just what I need one more thing to wash after making breakfast, not to mention clog up my drawer [but I hate excess gadgets in general].
The shot where the lady cracks an egg and misses the pan by at least 5 inches landing completely on the stove is hilarious, I would have to be pretty drunk to achieve such incompetence.

3 Likes

For the able bodied general public that’s a negative.

However, actual necessity is rarely a factor for the target demographic here.

2 Likes

Ah, more proof that PT Barnum grossly underestimated the reproduction rate.

2 Likes

I dug the one I have out of the junk drawer to give it a try, it actually appears to be a knock-off of the EZ Cracker (if you can believe there’s a knock-off of this) called a Clever Cracker. The only eggs we have in the fridge are free range organic and it basically crushed the shell more than cracked it, maybe it will work better on factory farmed eggs with thinner shells. The way it’s constructed also makes it very difficult to hand clean the blades that actually come into contact with the raw egg so it’s probably something you’d want to clean in a dishwasher to make sure it’s sanitized.

Found the video for the Clever Cracker…

Initially thought this was a parody video but I think he’s being serious.

2 Likes

As a relatively young kid, I learned the old-fashioned back and forth between the shells maneuver for separating yolks from whites. But more often than is desirable, the yolk would catch on the edge of one of the shells and get pierced, ruining not just that egg’s white (at least for some purposes), but potentially the entire bowl of whites, if you didn’t catch it in time. Then somewhere along the line I learned to separate them in one’s bare hand, letting the white slip through one’s fingers - and never looked back. (Needless to say, however, that isn’t a practical method for those who “go ick” over touching raw egg…:grin:)

3 Likes

That’s how I learned to do it and have never had an issue.

1 Like

Unless you really have hand problems I don’t see a use for this gadget. I think if your hands are that bad then you’re probably using liquid eggs so still no need for this. Easy enough to separate eggs using the shells or just your hand/fingers.

1 Like

I’m told there’s at least one Youtube video compilation of people spazzing out on the simplest tasks for the “before” shots of whatever the latest gadget cure is. I bet the lady missing the pan is on there.

1 Like

Now THAT’S truth in advertising!

1 Like

My favorite egg separator is shaped like a big nose with little holes where the nostrils are. The yolks stay put and the whites run out the nostrils, to hilarious effect.
But I don’t own one, I usually just use my hand and let the whites run out between my fingers.