dish of the month (cooking)

I love this… when I think about my grandmother in rural northern California, I’m sure she used butter or animal fat for everything…

Ah, I thought for a moment you were saying that those foods were grown locally not just in the US. I was, like, WTH, we’re under several feet of snow…and citrus doesn’t grow here anyway. :slight_smile:

Holy T , Why don’t you pick a ingredient or ingredient’s from where you are living . Here in the US most items are available to me . Not all of them though . Make a list of ten what are available to you and we’ll go from there . Such as a protein and vegetable or whatever and cook that ingredient any way you like .

1 Like

IMO, DOTMs aren’t the dishes where everyone will cook every month. Either ingredients aren’t available or one isn’t interested in the particular dish. The month is short :smile:

1 Like

You’re right . I’m giving up on dish of the month . It can’t be done . :confounded:

Oh for goodness sakes. This thread reminds me of too many cooks…etc.

One ingredient. Yes, it is cold somewhere, no, there are only 3 animals alive here, yes, we have onions, but no we have no other vegetables.

Dish of the month should be water. Everybody has it. Figure out what to put in it to make it taste good. :blush:

6 Likes

I actually really enjoyed the voting and (sometimes) the resulting threads, even tho many times the winning dish wasn’t something for which I voted or cared to cook.

I think it would be interesting to see if there’s a quorum for it. Why not give it a shot?

2 Likes

I agree. But I don’t think this thread is even close to a quorum. Maybe a new thread?

Right. We need a volunteer to organize the nomination & voting threads…@meatn3, maybe???

Yes! @meatn3 , hopefully?

Frankly, anyone who cares enough and has the time. It’s not crazy involved, AFAIK, but that’s in the eye of the beholder. Or, uh, holder of the thread… or sumpin’ like that.

And that’s why we should ask @meatn3

Cuz he knows all that holder of the thread sumpin stuff .

2 Likes

Otherwise I am still voting for water.:yum:

2 Likes

I had already suggested walnuts. But I am now saying again that if people are more interested in some other kind of focus, I was not trying to stop that. I am trying to stop the world from eating a diet of imported food or using up a lot of fossil fuels to transport food, or having government policies that encourage cash crop growing in lieu of sustainability, and the disappearance of agricultural lands, native cooking trandtions rooted in terroir and the resultant destruction in people’s relationship to where they live, but I would *not *use the DOTM category on Hungry Onion as a forum for doing that. I am talking about it now because the discussion started asan open question, so I expressed my thoughts. But I also firmly adhere to democracy. So if the vote is for regional cuisine or exotic recipes or whatever, I’m fine with whatever it is.

1 Like

Geezus, why not let the people who want to do DOTM do that, the people who want to do COTM do that and those who want to start a regional thread do that? Some people will participate in none, some may participate in all and most will fall somewhere in between- just as it has been for the last couple of years at CH. Isn’t the idea to get MORE activity happening over here anyhow? Why limit it? Why does everything have to be over engineered and talked to freaking death here?

7 Likes

If those are appropriate topics for HO, it’s sure not under cooking. General Topics or some such? Topics like that tend to get pretty argumentative and I, for one, would rather not see them here. But I’m just one voice. BTW, I’m pretty darn fond of our environment and do my best to let that show in my buying and eating.

Please, catholiver, I don’t know if you are a board monitor or moderator or what, but I am having a conversation with people that is pretty open and it is entirely appropriate as far as I am concerned, but if you want to “report” me or it, fine.

I have said six ways to Sunday, as clearly as I can, that I am NOT using this thread in the way you are interpreting it, but furthermore, I was under the impression that all of “HO” is a place to discuss food and people’s thoughts about food and approaches to food.

Never mind…

Ciao a tutti…!

I just realized that this had been moved from cooking. Nonetheless it’s just my opinion that in the past getting into discussions about ethics wound up causing arguments. That was my point.

1 Like

Hi all,

Why don’t we just keep it simple. I know I am part of the guilty party by suggesting a bunch of different directions. So, my proposal is that, given that there seems to be appetite to do whatever-OTM. I’ll start a new and clean thread, we’ll nominate what we are interested in (forget about the nominations on this thread, its too cluttered now). and then we’ll get a voting thread going after a few days? We’ll just do the one that gets the most votes for rest of January and February. Sounds good?

Nominate here:

Lumping it all together is really lame, the structure is what makes it interesting. A thread that is too broad and encompasses anything and everything is no different than any other thread. I’ll sit this one out.

1 Like