Culinary Bucket List

Mine. What’s yours?

7 Likes

Eating a big steak for my Christmas Day lunch, sat in a restaurant in Tenerife, overlooking the ocean, dressed in shorts & T-shirt. It’ll be such a change from a lifetime of traditional festive meals…

And, touch wood, I’ll achieve that Christmas next year.

9 Likes

Taking Spring Onion to any Southeast Asian country, where B and I used to travel to at least once a year. Maybe Koh Lanta, an Andaman Ocean Thai island, where the people and water are warm and the best food is prepared simply (freshly-caught whole fish fire-grilled on the beach comes to mind). That might snap him out of his pickiness and mom and dad can re-live our carefree youth.

Nice thread @Rooster. I feel positively dreamy now.

8 Likes

Then I’d take Spring Onion to Korea, so he could eat the food of his people. He does love rice, dumplings (mandu in Korean-ese), and noodles. That’s like a holy trinity for me.

7 Likes

I know what you mean. Hoping to turn those attainable daydreams into new memories.

4 Likes

Noma & Mexico City are the two that come to mind immediately, but I have a lot!

7 Likes

This is the kind of thread where we will start thinking of things and chime in as they occur to us. It is so perfect for HO.

6 Likes

Hope so! I’m reading up!

3 Likes

http://www.chanseggrollsandjazz.com/index.html?fbclid=IwAR3bAVv0uDdl8OhWGltSrGahdhVIGoTXe-zuneokiUcO2LUZlWACZ9-oIiU

Have never had the pleasure…yet!

3 Likes

Mine is a private beach on a stretch of the sorrowless sea beneath azure skies surrounded by books and magazines. Behind me will be endless tables of cut meats, vegetables, cheeses, and fruits; breads, pastries, and confections; and tables of champagne, wine, sangria, fresh juices, beers, and spirits galore.

Dizzily, I would crawl on my hands and knees back and forth between the tables and my umbrella and would remain there until bored stiff.

8 Likes

First on the list for me will be to return to the Piemonte (Piedmont) region of Italy where dear friends live. I’ll spoil their dog silly (you know it’s how I roll). Then we’ll while away a few days exploring new-to-us towns, family owned wineries, and small restaurants that will probably never be written up in guidebooks. In the evenings we’ll make our way back to our friends’ home for board games, laughter, and more dog spoiling.

And hopefully we’ll be able to have them
join us here for a visit to Maine for lobster, breweries, and the coastal splendor of it all.

9 Likes

Last time we stayed in Portsmouth, NH, we took a boat trip. The captain gave the commentary, saying that lobsters are caught in and around the Piscataqua River estuary. Where, if they are landed on the northern shore, they are known as Maine lobster. Or, if landed on the southern shore, they are known as lobster

7 Likes

Barcelona. For years now… :crossed_fingers:t3:someday soon.

Peru, also for years, though not motivated by culinary interest (though Chefs Table had a fascinating episode on Virgilio Martinez and his tasting menu by altitude iirc).

Kerala - food, soul, scenery, relaxation.

Sri Lanka.

Great thread @Rooster!

8 Likes

Barcelona is a lovely city (at least in parts). I’ve been a couple of times - but then it is “long weekend” distance for us.

5 Likes

Oh man, I haven’t thought about Chan’s in ages. And I haven’t been there in ages, either. So glad they weathered the pandemic.

4 Likes

I’m crawling along right next to you, RD… especially if there’s seafood from all over.

2 Likes

That’s what I loved about Europe, Harters- I’m an hour and a half from the Mexican border, which I’m glad to be, but any other country is SO far away.

1 Like

I supose it’s the benefit of relatively small countries. For example, the UK is a bit smaller in area than Oregon. It does mean you get linguistic, cultural and food diversity within a short distance.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing that video! I love Venice and have visited many times and never heard of that excursion.
My personal bucket list (which I will likely never afford) is to eat at Massimo Bottura’s Osteria Francescana in Modena.

4 Likes

Visit Keen’s Steakhouse and Brighton Beach next time I’m in NYC

Make coulibiac this Xmas

Have fritto misto/ fried fresh calamari / fish and chips in Europe again ( Italy, Greece, Ireland and UK)

Visit Sicily and try their beautiful pastries

Visit more of Japan some day- and try more of the food. Didn’t try the gyukatsu- their beef schnitzel.

Would like to have tea and the Russian appetizer spread in St Petersburg or Moscow, but I’ll settle for whatever Russian tea and appetizers I can find in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

4 Likes