Crumbs and sweets, your making Jan - Feb 2022

Ooooohhhhh. That speaks to me. Hell, that YELLS in my ear to me!

But other than coworkers, I don’t have anyone to bake for. And I’m not sure they deserve something so heavenly.

I’m going to try halving it as a small sheet cake instead. Too much of a good thing isn’t what I’m after. But a serving would make me happy.

3 Likes

Fairy gingerbread from “the perfect cookie”. I liked the name and lots of ginger! The method was to smear the batter on upside down,parchment lined sheet pans. They are very delicate. I doubt they would travel well.

6 Likes

Another vote on this!

Tonight, I baked a 7” basque cheesecake; halved the recipe from cookbook author Bonnie Stern. Chilling now.

I really enjoy baking half a recipe.

2 Likes

Good idea! Yeah, one of the problem of baking is, we’re 2 here. A full recipe means bake less often. Unless I’m treating the whole neighbourhood.

4 Likes

Inspired by the ‘half’ bakes I took an orange chiffon cake from Epicurious and halved it even tho it’s stressed that it must be baked in an angel food cake pan. Still not a tiny cake but looks perfect. Sliced in half and sandwiched with orange whipped cream.

10 Likes

Yum! Looks nice and tender.

Absolutely gorgeous!! How did it taste?

Excellent. Very moist and light.
If any changes, maybe a bit more whipped cream……

2 Likes

You can never have too much whipped cream…

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: What are you baking? March 2022

18 posts were split to a new topic: Baking boards organisation

I cannot wait to try these, the recipe is long but looks manageable. I am a new baker , since lockdown, and am always looking out for a good cookie. Thanks
Laura

3 Likes

Husband’s birthday cake. I’ve been making this exact same cake for him since at least 2007.

First time with sprinkles. My sister’s touch. :no_mouth: The cake is very good!

4 Likes

It looks fantastic!

1 Like

Happy birthday to Mr. @shrinkrap!

What’s your base cake there? The sprinkles add a little fancy for the birthday - I like it! :tada:

1 Like

Please note the dates on these printed documents. I’ve been paying for Cooks Illustrated since at least 2005, and think since this recipe was published in 1999, so I hope it’s okay to share these insights.

For the frosting, husband initially wanted milk chocolate, but it doesn’t set up right, and doesn’t taste great. I’ve gradually titrated up to a mix of a fairly strong semi sweet sold by the hunk at the local WinCo (; one of those SF companies that start with G, ) and a some milk chocolate.

4 Likes

Seeing your printout just made me happy! I have done the same thing with my recipes, and put them in a binder. Paper is so much easier to cook from, in my book!

2 Likes

Thanks shrinkwrap, I’ve printed it and next time there’s a yellow cake need I will try this one. You’re lucky to have had a fav yellow cake for so long. I’m still searching.

1 Like