Creole sausage

I’ve seen a few recipes calling for “Creole sausage”, but reliable information on exactly what this type of sausage is has been hard to turn up, at least in English. I have seen it called for in two dishes that come from opposite sides of the world:

-in New Orleans creole gumbo;
-in saucisse rougaille, a very typical dish of Mauritius and Reunion, francophone islands in the Indian Ocean.

So I’m wondering…

1. is the sausage being referred to in both dishes the same kind of sausage?
  2. one rougaille recipe I turned up suggests using “saucisse de Toulouse” if you’re in France. Is this the same thing? (As best I can tell, saucisse de Toulouse does not appear to be as spicy as most sausages called “Creole”. Here is one recipe for Louisiana-style “Creole hot sausage” loaded with cayenne and other spices: https://www.gumbopages.com/food/hot-sausage.html)
  3. Can I find this sausage in my local stores in the SF Bay Area? If not, what would be a close substitute?
1 Like

For the gumbo, you will want an Andouille. A slightly spicy, coarsely ground smoked pork sausage.

I have no idea about the other.

5 Likes

Thanks. The gumbo recipe I was referring to is this one from Lolis Eric Elie, which I made (slightly modified) a few years ago: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/creole-gumbo-recipe-from-mrs-elie-84568792/

This recipe calls for two types of sausage: “smoked” and “Creole hot”. I think it’s a safe assumption that the smoked is andouille, or something quite similar. Could the “Creole hot” be the fresh Louisiana sausage known as chaurice? (In the event, I used andouille-flavored chicken sausage from the supermarket - I didn’t have time to find the real thing - and omitted the Creole hot sausage.)

The recipe I am trying to make now is rougaille - it’s basically sausage (or whatever other protein you want) simmered in a spicy, herb-infused tomato broth. But I’d like to get the sausage at least somewhat close to whatever is eaten in Mauritius/Reunion.

1 Like

Boudin is always a worthy alternative, at least for me.

The recipe of traditional “saucisse rougaille” of Réunion is as follows:
1 kg of fresh pork sausages (or smoked) | 4 ripe tomatoes | 2 onions | 2 tablespoons tablespoon of oil | Option: 4 crushed green peppers | 3 Big chillies

Thanks - I have found no shortage of rougaille recipes similar to this one (many include several more aromatics and herbs, especially thyme and ginger).

The question I’m trying to answer is: what, specifically, is the typical sausage used? I mean, I’m sure it would taste good with any old smoked or non-smoked quality pork sausage, but does the type generally used in Reunion/Mauritius have a specific flavor profile and name, and does it closely resemble one of the many, many other French-style pork sausages?

1 Like

The link you showed above consisted of many types of sausages, I can’t really summarise. The typical no name pork sausage is similar to the above rougaille recipe, with additional herbs like thyme at times. But without the heat of green peppers and the chillies.

I’m going to to see if my question is better here, or in a new thread.
I am making Shrimp and Sausage jambalaya, inspired by some crab stock I made from some Dungeness crabs I steamed yesterday.

I have andouille, but I also have some Chorizo, Panish In pretty sure, and Portuguese Linguica I’d rather use first.

All three are described as pork and spicy; some mention garlic, some paprika, some garlic. In looking at the brands I have, the chorizo seems coarser, and the skin thicker. Some recipes say get rid of the skin.

Sausage Reference Guide

"…CHORIZO.
Spanish chorizo is made from pork, and very hot and spicy. Closest substitutes: kielbasa, pepperoni or other dry-cured pork sausage, linguisa (hotter) or Mexican chorizo (this needs to be cooked). "

I think you’ll win with any choice you make.

1 Like

Thank you! Husband seems to think so! He’s eating it as fast as I cook it.

IMG_20190217_162446

3 Likes

You know, recipes are one thing but I’m sure any Creole cook finding out they were out of Andouille would easily use any of the sausages listed above (although Keilbasa would be my last choice). Picture it, “Oh gee - I’m out of Andouille. Guess no supper for the kids tonight.”

4 Likes

1 Like

He is! Two less things in the freezer, 1,000 to go!

1 Like