Corona / Quarantine Scrap Regrowth

Stranded away from my NYC home in SoCal, I’ve been saving dinner scraps to see what will grow.

Well, apparently a LOT will, some obvious, some not so much and very interesting.

I’ll upload pics from my phone later, but here’s some of what’s regenerating from meal trimmings:

Beets - top in water, greens popped up within a few hours - we are amazed! Need to look up when to put them in a pot

Brussels sprouts - I saved a few whole, plus the bottoms trimmed from the rest of the bag we were roasting; placed in water, several have sprung tiny roots, and others are showing signs of growth like bumps at the flat-cut face. Will keep them in water for a bit longer.

Romaine and butter lettuce - 2/3 replanted stubs are flourishing: the ones we left a bit more of the base on regenerated within a couple of days. It will take some time to grow to a full head, but the lush babies are gorgeous!

Scallions: They are growing from stubs, but slowly. I may stick the rest of the bunch in water because they seem to grow faster when sadly left at the bottom of my vegetable drawer…?

Lemongrass: I put the cut stub from the WF package into water, and it did actually start regrowing (slowly) but roots are taking a bit longer (I usually have stalks from the Asian market that sprout roots and leaves quite fast in a glass of water)

Open to any advice as to how best to turn these regrowths into flourishing plants!

Anyone else doing similarly?

5 Likes

Wow! Thank you for this. I am particularly interested in restoring beet greens, our favorite part of the plant. Keep your experiments and your reporting, please.

I’ve grown scallions from stubs, but I don’t plan a recipe waiting on them.

Beets - top in water, greens popped up within a few hours - we are amazed! Need to look up when to put them in a pot

Brussels sprouts - I saved a few whole, plus the bottoms trimmed from the rest of the bag we were roasting; placed in water, several have sprung tiny roots, and others are showing signs of growth like bumps at the flat-cut face. Will keep them in water for a bit longer.

Romaine and butter lettuce - 2/3 replanted stubs are flourishing: the ones we left a bit more of the base on regenerated within a couple of days. It will take some time to grow to a full head, but the lush babies are gorgeous!

Scallions : They are growing from stubs, but slowly. I may stick the rest of the bunch in water because they seem to grow faster when sadly left at the bottom of my vegetable drawer…?

Lemongrass : I put the cut stub from the WF package into water, and it did actually start regrowing (slowly) but roots are taking a bit longer (I usually have stalks from the Asian market that sprout roots and leaves quite fast in a glass of water)

6 Likes

In the “Jumpstart” thread I posted yesterday, they showed things like starting seedlings in a used teabag, or a banana. Might be a bit easier, for small scraps, than the toothpick/water method.

Just saw that thread - thanks!

Some of the ideas are great - like the paper towel folded and rolled up as a “seedling mat” and then rolled back out in the planter.

I do find the banana idea a bit wasteful at the best of times, though, and especially at the moment.

I’m very intrigued by the idea of pureeing a mushroom and having new ones grow out of that - I have some maitake and king oyster at the moment, and it would be a lot more cost effective than buying more, lol.

:grin:

Mr Bean is famous for spitting pits. Back several years ago, before grape tomatoes were everywhere, he bit a couple of them in half and stuck them in a pot. Low and behold we got several tomato plants out of them that bore beautiful fruit. My nephew got married at a peach orchard and we all went peach picking. They were some of the best peaches ever. Mr Bean ate one and stuck it into a pot. The next spring there was a weed growing in the pot. He pulled it out and found the peach pit attached. Here it is now:

(Not a great picture as it is cold and rainy here)

5 Likes

Great minds!

From Food52-5 Vegetables You Can Regrow Indoors With Just Water & Sunlight

7 Likes

:joy:
:rofl:

I’ve got a sweet potato plant growing nicely and romaine & red leaf lettuce just starting to sprout ne leaves.

3 Likes

I grow green onions after I’ve used the green part. I just pop the root parts into a glass of water and they start growing within 3-4 days. I just keep adding to the glass as I buy and use more onions, so I usually have some at different stages of growth. The warmer the kitchen, the faster they grow.

I just bought some celery and was going to do the same with the root end, as I’ve heard celery grows in water pretty quickly too.

2 Likes

My green onions have been very stunted in their regrowth - they seem to grow better in the fridge :joy:

Any tips?

I’ve actually taken all the scallions out of the fridge and put them in a jar of water to see if the whole plant regenerates better than the stubby bit.

Status update:

The romaine is doing really well; the Bibb was not as happy to regrow despite an initial show.

I killed the poor brussel sprouts from round one because I covered them. So there’s a round two

The beet tops are in soil. The greens are alive, because they get droopy when it’s hot and perk up when I cool them down - there’s a conversation there :joy:

I added garlic - we had some past-prime bulbs in the fridge that I separated and stuck in a pot, and the shoots have popped up. I do love garlic scapes!

The onion bottoms were promising with new roofs and some top growth, but I may have moved them to soil too soon. Well, there’s another round started.

I’ve got some ginger buds saved to go in a pot next.

I leave about 2” for it to grow from.

1 Like

I somehow missed this thread. I’ve tried regrowing scallions during the winter and spring when I can’t cut from my garden. They do pretty well on the ledge of my kitchen window.

I haven’t tried other scraps but I’m always fascinated by the possibilities. I now have a nice area in a small closet that has a sunny window, and I might be able to experiment with other plants and scraps. I’ve been really interested in growing ginger and lemongrass. I don’t think the ginger will work in water (never tried) but would love to try the lemon grass. The beets are a fun idea, but my mind boggles at how they will grow in water.

1 Like

Unfortunately, for fun, I tried to grow fresh green onion, maybe I used up much of the white part of the stem, root in water doesn’t grow anything.

Yeah
Me too

But given the success you have showed, I’ll try again! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: