Cooking for family is a freaking nightmare.

I don’t order BBQ anything because BBQ is boring.

I would eat BBQ if a host serves it, because that is the polite thing to do.

2 Likes

Mole over turkey is sublime. Turkey is kind of a major “treat” or celebratory meat in MX. Holiday food in southern Mexico.

Maybe one turkey breast and one beef roast for fam.

It must be exhausting. :weary:

Gasp! :scream:

Take it back. Take it back!

2 Likes

I too agree. I roast some chicken parts once or twice a month. But for me, it’s the versatility of chicken that leads me to cook it at least once a week. Fried (rarely), piccata, quesadillas, penne (a dish I stole from a local restaurant with tomatoes, oo, mushrooms, garlic, peppers and whatever else strikes me that day), stir fry, kiev, wrapped around stuffing with a white wine sauce, etc, etc. It lends itself to almost all cuisines and can vary from simple season and cook to complex spending all day prepping and simmering.

7 Likes

I run into a dynamic when choosing a restaurant in Northern CA. My cousins pull rank and push Italian food or fussy upscale casual Continental when I visit- while I used to push for Mexican, Thai, Japanese or seafood restaurant since Toronto has excellent Italian food. I now let the fussiest cousin choose the restaurant for the group, and seek out the Mexican, Thai, Japanese or seafood on my own time. They’ll never be happy with a place I choose, and it’s less painful for me to sit through a mediocre Italian meal than listen to them say they wish that we went somewhere else.

8 Likes

I’m still aghast at the thought. Boring BBQ. I save a lot of caloric space for brisket and shoulder.

That said, I’m a chicken a week person, too. Sometimes twice.

1 Like

It’s interesting, as I was mentally rifling through our usual thanksgiving meal, it struck me that most of the restrictions mentioned would be an issue for our main meal (onions in the stuffing, that was it)!

So much regional, cultural, and personal variation, of course, but in general I think any restrictions vs what we all consider “normal” or “traditional” are what create the issue.

1 Like

I am pretty deliberate in serving chicken once a week. Shellfish or fish once or twice a week. Beef once a week. Pork once a week. Lamb once a week. Duck once a month. Turkey once every 2 months.

2 Likes

Real bbq or Canadian bbq?

2 Likes

What’s Canadian bbq???!

1 Like

It sounds like we’re going to be carrying the donkey here. Rereading this thread, it strikes me that @Vecchiouomo 's “hot summer weather” menu hits all the notes. I, personally, dislike salmon, but in this context, cold with a (or several) good dressings, the simple but elegant potatoes, classic salads all sound festive and delicious. And doable ahead with minimum service issues.

I love baking salmon in a foil pouch for easy and perfectly moist salmon, also limiting seasoning to lemon in order to let the sauces sing. A selection of sauces would be fun, above caper mayo, tartar, teriyaki, Bearnaise, sorrel… Let the guests be chefs of their own plates.

6 Likes

tortilla espanola.

2 Likes

Exactly :blush:

2 Likes

Maple instead o’ dah honey, eh! Smoke dat moose at aboot 236, and let er go fer hours. Dat smokey flavour, eh.

1 Like

Re: BBQ, I can take it or leave it. I don’t like it enough to seek it out. I’ve mentioned it elsewhere on HO before. I also don’t like smokey foods other than smoked trout, smoked haddock, smoked oysters and smoked salmon, so it makes sense I don’t like smokey BBQ.

It was more of a tongue-in-cheek reply to someone calling a dish that can be done a thousand ways boring.

Re: BBQ, I mean American BBQ. Kansas City, NC, SC, Texas, I don’t know where else since I focus on fried chicken and crabcakes on the rare occasions where I’m south of Pittsburgh.

I like Santa Maria BBQ, which most BBQ people don’t consider real BBQ. I also like Jerk Pork and Jerk Chicken, which is technically a form of BBQ.

2 Likes

My wife isn’t a smoke lover, either. I get that. You forgot Wayzata BBQ. Git wit dah program. Jerk pork and chicken are unreal good. Why isn’t Santa Maria real BBQ? Grilled not smoked?

I like smoke so much I have a fire in the fire pit when I BBQ. I love smoked chicken.

You like what you like. Enjoy every bite.

2 Likes

Santa Maria is direct smoked over red oak.
Certainly qualifies as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

Not that this discussion isn’t interesting, I just don’t think we’re helping Harters much with his original problem. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

Curiously I am not a big salmon lover either, but grilled and refrigerated it comes on far less strong. I like mild fish myself, like sole or halibut.

1 Like