Closeby Small Town places where you like to eat for a mini roadie - Houston

Heading out of town a couple of weeks ago now I had a bag full of TJ’s snacks and a bag full of fruit and a cooler with drinks, but I got hungry early the first morning for something hot so I stopped at the Chappell Hill Bakery and Deli on 290 in CH.

I got a huge cream cheese kolache and I’m thinking now I remember it was iced. Nothing special except the size, which was too much.

Also got a sausage, cheese, and jalapeno kolache/klobasnek. A half section of a very good sausage, of course, the cheese tasted like cheddar rather than American and the jalapeno bits actually had some heat. Would have been excellent except for the soft, squishy bread part.

Very busy, large place with lots of tables. I think they serve breakfast plates, too.

There are better kolache shops but I only know about the ones along I-10 or 90, west of town, I don’t really know of any good ones up that way.

Good onion rings are hard to find. I don’t know of any in Houston.

They’re easy to make and I use the same Paula Deen recipe I use to fry cod.

Get a good, very cold beer like Modelo Especial. Sift in 1 1/2 cups flour, whisk and ad some Cajun seasonings. Dip sliced onions in the batter, roll in flour with more seasonings and fry. Delicious. A plus if you can get fresh onions from the Valley.

3 Likes

I saw another episode last night featuring a crazy grocery store in McAllen, Ruben’s, and Svantes, in Round Rock.

When they said Svantes is run by the descendants of the first Swede to set foot in Texas, my ears perked up (I’m one quarter Swedish). Hey, they even have Swedish Pancakes on the Sunday Brunch Menu. :laughing:

And that grass fed burger looks good.

I have no plans to go to McAllen anytime soon but I’ll be checking out Svantes next time I’m up that way.

2 Likes

Onion Ring HODown at the Ostione’s Swankienda!

I noticed the onion rings on this burger at Union Kitchen - they don’t look too shabby.

Maybe Doobie can give us a review?

Is anyone else annoyed with all the new neighborhood acronyms? I don’t even know what GOOF is except annoying.

Garden Oaks/Oak Forest.

HTH.

LOL.

P.S. I too find that acronym over-usage to be annoying and just a little too precious and self important.

OH NO!!! What does HTH mean??? :laughing:.

I remember when EaDo started appearing on another forum - there were wails of protestation and NEVER! But that one seems to have stuck. SoDo hasn’t though, not so much anyway. I don’t mind EaDo - East End was already taken after all.

I think EaDo and SoDo were thought up by developers with the big loft and mid-rise living projects in those gentrifying neighborhoods, but GOOF probably just owes it’s origins to the texting and tweeting generation. Gentrification there is more young families/millenials buying single family homes to re-muddle or re-model, not even tear downs for McMansions, as I understand it.

I think that is the case generally. But I’m not of that generation and when I see a news article referirng quite seriously to the POTUS, FLOTUS and SCOTUS, my teeth grind. Is it just that hard to type it out? It actually may be since typing is no longer taught either and these folks are stabbing a key pad with index fingers.

As to HTH, no idea. His Terrific Highness?

1 Like

Well I tried to ‘like’ this post numerous times but you’re only allowed to ‘like’ once, so that will have to do.

His Terrific Highness has to be it.

Actually “HTH” is “Hope This Helps”, but I admit that I like the way y’all think!

2 Likes

LUFKIN

Finally made it to the famous Ray’s Drive-In in Lufkin, est November 1959.

Utterly delicious jalapeno cheeseburger totally worth the calories. Hand formed fresh patty, with mayo and a side of thin and crispy onion rings that hold their form until consumed (onions stay put in the casing) They have soft serve ice cream - don’t see that too much any more. Shrimp salads, taco salads, chili dogs, malts, beer, stuffed potatoes your way, all kinds of sandwiches, fried chicken, catfish and shrimp baskets and some things called “tator tot pie, french fry pie, and Texas toothpicks.” Saturday night classic car gatherings.

You can bet I’ll return when in or near Lufkin.

Ray’s FB Page

Katharine Shillcutt’s visit

Dine in restaurant remodeled in 2014, service was fast and friendly for us, I loved the rings she found meh.

1 Like

Onion rings look pretty good to me. And a nice sized pile of 'em, too. Burger (looked it up on FB) looks drool worthy.

But famous??? Never heard of the place. But then, I may have last been to Lufkin ca. 1957!:laughing:

Thanks for the report.

I don’t like EaDo at all. The one I really don’t like is The Montrose. I could be wrong but I put the blame on radio station KLOL in the late 70’s/80’s.

Wow. That’s going back a-ways; I hadn’t even thought of that one. I do remember when I first came to town in 1970 I thought it was just Montrose but by the end of the decade, I was hearing The Montrose. I thought maybe I’d just misunderstood.

LOL was never my station, so I don’t know about that connection/influence.

But if we’re going back that far, I would have to bring up The Village, now known as (The) Rice VIllage. Danged historical revisionism, or what ever it is — it’s just The Village!

Yes, I know Rice University now owns a lot of the real estate in The Village (and along Main Street from mid-town and south) but there is nothing other than that justifying the name. It will always be just The Village to me.

A friend is talking about this place in Leona (population <200) off Ii-45 north of Huntsville and it seems like a worthy stop! He claims they serve the best steaks anywhere.

Leona Steakhouse

Here’s an interesting list from the Comical:

21 Must-try Restaurants near the Bay Area.

Pearland is near the Bay?? Well, it’s grown so much towards the West it may have grown that far to the East, I guess.

The Guatemalan place in Clear Lake looks good to me, and not that far off 45 on the NASA ByPass.

I had seen Himalayan Taste in Galveston on Yelp and had it on my list of places to try when I get down there (still haven’t made it).

I wish the headline writers would lose the ‘must-try’ phrase. It’s really getting old.

"Woah - we should pull over! That must be a news story!" "No, it's just @killensbbq!" #abc13 #BestBBQinTexas pic.twitter.com/3YrRiCK3CN

— Pooja Lodhia (@PoojaOnTV) December 28, 2016

I’d just keep on driving :smiling_imp:.

1 Like